Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why do my sheet rolls return double values?

Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
When I use the button to roll skill rolls or attack rolls, I get something like "21 | 13". Why are there 2 numbers? Thnks!
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Beetroot, I'm assuming you're using D&D Fifth Edition character sheet. The reason it rolls two dice instead of 1 is in case you have Advantage or Disadvantage on the roll. You can just ignore the 2nd number if it's a normal roll. So, for your example above if it's a normal roll you would count it as a 21, if you had advantage it would be a 21, if you had disadvantage it would be a 13. Make sense?
If you're using the 5th edition sheet, it is so you only have to roll once for advantage and disadvantage. If you have advantage, you use the higher of the two numbers. Disadvantage, the lesser of the two numbers. If you have neither, you use the first number.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Thanks buddies!