Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Purpose of external Journal access?

vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
What is the purpose of having "external Journal access"? Pro You can view character sheet bio's and unarchived handouts you have permission to see. You don't have to open the editor to view handouts and bio's. Saves system resources... Con You can't edit You can't see items that are archived even if you have permission to view them. Handout links to other handouts that are archived, are not viewable. In-game; "handout to archived handouts" links work. You can't view your own character sheet. Not even a read-only view. Handout images do not zoom like in-game. That said, how do you use external Journal access as a GM and/or a player? I know I'm missing something...
I can't tell you how many times I've used external Journal access between sessions to check loot lists, character details, or quest notes saved within the campaign. (mind you, I do not use the built-in character sheets. I use my own attributes and abilities) I'm often the one taking care of vendor loot and notes; so It's super-useful to me to be able to view those handouts without going through a full login.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Mark. I usually make a handout, "Player's Journal" that everyone can edit. I often update this handout after each session as a recap of the session. I also keep track of xp, treasure, plot, etc. in the GM notes and just copy/paste to the player's section as needed. Sometimes I also create individual player handouts, "Fitor's Notes" for anyone that wants their own. The lack of editing in the external journal for players that would normally have that permission, hamstrings the feature IMO. I can understand the desire to prevent unnecessary server load by having to open a game just to read some text. Cheers.