Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5E Character sheet suggestion

I was wondering if it was possible to change the 5E character sheet to use the PowerCard plugin for the rolls made through the character sheets. That way things like saving throws which are normally made through the character sheet would look better.

Edited 1420757457
What I ended up doing for my campaign, was I found the actual sheet HTML layout and CSS, then added a Custom sheet using that code. I edited all the buttons to roll using PowerCards, and some additional modifications I have made (including adding a spell sheet to the NPC side, so the DM wouldn't need to jump back and forth). I also set up the SpellCards to generate a PowerCard pulling the information that is put into the fields. It's fairly generic in look, but it works well for those who do not want to spend time making their own. I had to add an additional field or two, and reformatted some parts, but I have a single button that casts a spell, and formats the cards based upon whether it is a passive, attack, DC or healing spell. Again, works well. I've been making changes a lot to it lately, but the function for using the PowerCard is there.
I figure I could go that route, but having my own custom character sheet would mean missing new updates or having to manually update my custom sheet every now and then. Ideally I would like this change to occur on the oficial sheet.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
If a sheet uses API commands, it's not longer available to everyone since you need to be a mentor to use the API. Custom sheets can be a pain to set up, but very rewarding in the long run. Most community sheets are updated infrequently so that you would only need to update manually if you chose to. That said, an optional "powercarded" version of sheets is a cool idea. I'm sure if you ask, someone would share their version with you if you wanted to take it for a walk...
Agreed, but the only way to really do it, is to have one sheet available for with PowerCards, and one available without. Adding in the PowerCard call functions to the buttons is not hard, but it is extensive, especially in the spell book area where you really want to only have one PowerCard generated, rather than a separate one for the spell, then the attack (if there is one), then damage, DC, heal, etc. Overall it's set up nicely, with the availability still for people to customize their own PowerCards however they wish, or use the default setup.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sean G. said: Agreed, but the only way to really do it, is to have one sheet available for with PowerCards, and one available without. Could do what the 4e sheet did. Include textareas so that the user can make their own macros for the buttons. Include a default macro so the player doesn't have to if they don't want to. The player (or GM) would have to put the powercard macros in for each campaign, but it would allow the roll buttons to use powercards without gating the sheet to Mentor GMs only.
That's no different than how it is now, just writing up a PowerCard macro in your settings or in the Attributes and Abilities section of the Character Journal, and having the button available in either the Token Action bar up top (requiring you to select the token to bring it up), or the Macro bar at the bottom. I was under the impression he wanted the PowerCard completely generated by the character sheet itself. If he wants it generated by the character sheet for the rolls, the only way to do it, is to have two character sheets developed and kept on Roll20's server side.
That's based upon the look of the character sheet now, which has little room to add extra buttons, or text areas.
Yes, I would like to see the sheet itself generate the power cards, but I see now that due to the current API restrictions two sheets would be needed. Thankfully it seems like some basic enhancements to the chat output are being talked about which will probably lead to the character sheet generating power cards.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Actually, another option would be to have a toggle at the top of the sheet to swap between API roll buttons and regular roll buttons. Something like: <input type="checkbox" class="sheet-api-toggle" name="attr_use-api" value="1" /> ... <button type="roll" class="sheet-no-api-roll" name="roll_awesome-attack" value="/me uses an awesome attack"></button> <button type="roll" class="sheet-api-roll" name="roll_awesome-attack-api" value="!power --emote|@{selected|character_name} uses an awesome attack"></button> .sheet-no-api-roll, .sheet-api-roll { display: none; } .sheet-api-toggle:checked ~ * .sheet-api-roll, .sheet-api-toggle:not(:checked) ~ * .sheet-no-api-roll { display: inline; }