Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Any advantage to becoming a Mentor if I run 5e D&D?

What do I gain by becoming a Mentor if I don't know how to code API? I only run one campaign. I have plenty of storage. Is there anything else I gain? Is there anything that is 5e API specific right now?
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For 5e specific scripts, Treasure Hoard Generator is new enough to be on the first page of the API forum. However, there are a lot of scripts out there that work for lots of systems, such as Simple Door Controls , for example. We're in the process of making it easier to find scripts with an official Roll20 API repository , but we're not quite there yet. =)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
There are some 5e specific utility scripts (I haven't used them though, just seen them posted). There are bunches of API scripts that are applicable to 5e. Nothing you can't live without, but things that make life better (turn tracking with player advance, ammo tracking, some powerful token state manipulation, automated lighting settings for players, auto numbering of monsters, auto hit point rolling of monsters, etc. ). Also, even with just one campaign you're running, the Transmogrifier can be great for shuffling data between campaigns (I like to have a monster campaign to store configured monsters in).
Currently I use the api for equipping torches quickly, healing/damage scripts to work with macros, ammo tracking on certain items, Showings umages in the chat instead of a popup, editing group initiatives, moving macros from one token to the next, bleeding script to track wounds and help others know when someones visibly wounded. Better formatting of skills etc. Honestly you dont "need" alot of it but it helps with immersion and making things a little bit easier. Editing apis and html isn't too difficult with a bit of common sense. I wouldget the api just for making the game more stream lined so.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Special effects - fireball! Pow!
The special effects are kinda nifty, but right now they are limited to just a few fire based effects. There are a few nifty scripts you can copy and paste to your campaign without any other setup: making doors easy to open for players, making it so tokens can bleed on the map, stuff to help manage dynamic lighting, and teleporting tokens based on location or chat commands. If you want to modify a character sheet to fit your game better(house rules,etc), you can do that as a mentor too.
I run a 5e D&D campaign, and I agree with everything above. The API is great and is the selling point of the Mentor subscription level. Even w/o the ability to write your own code, you can use existing scripts to make your GMing job easier. Public scripts I use in my 5e campaign: CombatBegins - easily add and automatically roll initiative for all combatants to the Turn Tracker. (The players can still roll for themselves if they feel the need.) Rotation - my players were constantly rotating tokens by accident. So this script allows me to disable rotation, or enable it, with a simple macro. Torch - easily add dynamic lighting to a token by typing !torch ## where ## is the range of the lighting radius (or using a macro to do it) TokenNameNumber - automatically number enemies as you drag them on to the battlemap (or copy/paste them from existing tokens). SimpleDoorControls - Automate opening and closing doors using the dynamic lighting feature to hide what is beyond the door until opened I plan to use the Graphic Inventory Management script. It looks awesome. Self-created scripts I use that are not public (but I would clean up and release if asked): ReactionTracker - 5e specific. When a combatant uses its Reaction for the turn, we set the green status on their token. At the beginning of their turn, the green icon is automatically removed, so we know they have their reaction back again. (A different status icon could be selected with a very minor code change.) WoundedBloodied - A hit point tracking script. While Bloodied is more of a 4e thing, I use the yellow status for Wounded (less than max HP) and red status for Bloodied (less than 50% HP) terms so my players know the status of foes. It also places the red X on combatants at 0 hp. Since I don't allow players to see enemy health bars, this makes my life easier. Other scripts that exist but I have my own versions of: Basic weather and date script - track the date ingame and generate weather (both for the day and changes throughout the day)
Being no one has really said it yet. The advantage is that you add more support to the developers to continue to develop the game. In summary, you help ensure their is a platform for you to actually play your game.
Yes buy the Devs a pizza every month you get some free tokens, the use of the API, all of the bleeding edge stuff on the Dev. Server and the site continues into the future. These guys love this stuff, but they deserve to eat once in a while too. If you can afford it you really should go mentor along with going mental, the path of all GMs.
Wouldn't mind a look at your weather and date script tbh Threeswords! :D

Edited 1421358344
al e. said: Yes buy the Devs a pizza every month you get some free tokens, the use of the API, all of the bleeding edge stuff on the Dev. Server and the site continues into the future. These guys love this stuff, but they deserve to eat once in a while too. If you can afford it you really should go mentor along with going mental, the path of all GMs. Thanks! We do get hungry lol... PinkRose We've got a page that breaks down our subscriptions here if you need more info!
Saevar L. said: Wouldn't mind a look at your weather and date script tbh Threeswords! :D Ugh. :) That's the messiest one I've written. It'll take some time to clean it up. When I do, I'll post it.
Haha sorry! :p Well honestly the 5E related ones would be nice too! Surprised you didnt publicly show them! You don't need to do the weather and date script :P
i have to say, the reaction script should be publicly available. its sounds like a simple perfectly viable godsend to lazy DM's. And I know, not the topic of this thread, just putting it out there - Three of Swords, help make lazy DM's lazier! I implore you! (No, really, I love all the little scripts and things that let me ignore mechanics in favor of letting the machine do it, makes it much easier to plan nefarious (or humorous) situations on the fly. So help me, I would be a sitting duck for skynet)