Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Just getting started.

Me and my group sat around and talked about our soon to start campaign. We starting looking at roll20 and so far no complaints but I did walk away with a few questions. 1. players drawing on the map? is there a way to turn that off. At one point I had 100's of squares. 2. starting point and character token. It took a little time but we figured out how to get the characters added to the Campaign. then I got a token added fro each. but here is the part I got lost on. When I move teh the flag on the maps to move teh characters they see the new map but the tokens don't move with them. I had to add teh token again and then I got teh wrong one and it was all very confussing. Any sugestions?
1. No - I suggest asking your players to respect the table 2. use pointer and select them all, copy. go to new map, paste. 2b If you have tokens added to the sheets, you can drag the token onto the new map by "dragging" the character sheet name out onto the table
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
1. Player drawing cannot be turned off. Usually it can be handled socially by asking them not to draw distracting things. You can hold Alt to drag select only drawings. Note : this will select graphics that are flagged as drawings as well, most notably things on the map layer. 2. Roll20 can't know which tokens to move for you, where to put them, or even if they should be placed at all. However, if you have the character tokens setup correctly, dragging them on is not so onerous a task. Here's a wiki page that explains setting up tokens: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> . You can definitely drag tokens onto the page ahead of time.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
1) No, you can't turn off the ability of players to draw on the map. I'm not even sure a script can change that, but I'm sure someone will chime in. However, you can politely ask them to not draw on the map, and if people continue to draw you can park each player on its own blank map. Having a between-sessions map is also useful, a place where players can have their tokens so they can work on any custom macros between sessions. 2) Read through this and make sure you hit each step in the right order for your default tokens to work: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> Welcome to Roll20!

Edited 1422772253
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Got sniped by both OSC & The Aaron :&gt;
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Haha. BTW, Robert, we've got a very active and helpful community in case you couldn't tell! =D GenKitty, good point on the API. It would be easy to write a script that makes drawing by a player futile (moved instantly to the GM layer, scaled out of the way). Once UoH goes live, the API will be able to delete objects, so can remove player drawings outright. :)
Until your players figure it out, you can tell who is drawing by the color of the drawing; it matches the default color of the player (Shown on their player icon in the bottom-left). Of course, they'll eventually figure out that they can change the color they're drawing with in the toolbar. They can also change their default color by clicking it (in their icon.) So, at least for a while, you can probably catch whomever's drawing and ask them to stop. -Phnord, who's only giving one of you a nickel this time!
Thank you all for the awesome responses. My current group is a very mature group so I don't think I will have a problem with them. They all thought it was fun as an experiment on a test map but they got the point that it would not be good during real play. However my thought was if we ever opened it up and let people we did not know join. it would be easy for a troll to really disrupt things. Maybe I am just a little too cynical. As for the tokens I will check out the links and test it out but the explanations given seem straight forward. Again thank you
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Troll players are rare, but I have heard of at least one. You can move individual players by dragging their name from below their portrait to a page in the pages window. Someone once suggested moving trolls to their own page until you can get rid of them permanently. (You can kick them from the campaign but not from a session, though I think someone said if you kick them from the campaign and then change the video settings, it forces their client to reload and might cast them out. )

Edited 1422830914
Gold
Forum Champion
Robert N. said: However my thought was if we ever opened it up and let people we did not know join. it would be easy for a troll to really disrupt things. Maybe I am just a little too cynical. As for the tokens I will check out the links and test it out but the explanations given seem straight forward. Again thank you As a precaution you could periodically Copy (or Transmorgify) your whole campaign, and keep the copy around as a sort-of backup, just in case someone scribbled over everything with so much graffiti that it was difficult to erase. Note there is a DM button to Clear All Drawings on a map page, which could potentially erase any scribbles in a flash. The only problem there is, sometimes objects that the DM purposely placed on the map (like perhaps a treasure chest, a table, or a token) are sometimes classified as "Drawings" along with any lines colored by the Players. Also I agree with The Aaron that trolls are rare but I have also heard of at least one, which was in the past week.
Robert N. said: Thank you all for the awesome responses. My current group is a very mature group so I don't think I will have a problem with them. They all thought it was fun as an experiment on a test map but they got the point that it would not be good during real play. However my thought was if we ever opened it up and let people we did not know join. it would be easy for a troll to really disrupt things. Maybe I am just a little too cynical. As for the tokens I will check out the links and test it out but the explanations given seem straight forward. Again thank you What i did during my campaigns was have your saved set of characters at your desired "start point" on each map you create. It will get a little hairy once you get them leveled up and those character token values change IF they have attributes because those attributes will obviously be out of date. But that is how i conquered the characters moving from map to map issue. If your players use the in-game character sheet and have macros that reference the sheet the players shouldnt see an issue with out dated tokens then.