Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Request] - HERO System Damage Script

This is a total Wish List request if any brave soul has the time or inclination. I know nothing about writing scripts and it will probably be a long, long time before I am able to write a script for myself. In the meantime, it would be very helpful to have this script for my group's HERO games. I know that there is a lengthy and involved HERO combat script out there already, but I don't want to use all of it and want to keep things fairly simple for my games. I want a script that will differentiate between the types of dice rolls in the HERO System and that will have a code that I can write into the macros. I also want to use this script in conjunction with HoneyBadger's Power Cards 2 script on the Production server. ================================================================================================ OK, now a little about the HERO System dice rolls.... Dice Rolls Hero System uses two kinds of dice rolls. The first is a Success Roll . In a Success Roll, you roll under a number on 3d6 (three six-sided dice). A total of 18 is always a failure; a total of 3 is always a success. Success Rolls are displayed as X-, such as 12- for “Roll 12 or under on 3d6”. The lower you roll under, the better. The second is an Effect Roll . In an Effect Roll, Xd6 is rolled - That is, an arbitrary number (3, 5, 8, whatever) of six-sided dice. Effect rolls may be counted in two ways: Counting the BODY: Count the number of dice. Subtract any 1’s rolled; add +1 for any 6’s. Counting the Total: Simply total the die roll. 1/2 d6 is half the result of a d6. For BODY, that means a roll of 4-6 is +1 and 1-3 is 0. For a Total roll, 1-2 is +1, 3-4 is +2 and 5-6 is +3. +1 is just that - “Add +1 to the Total”. Effects of +1 adds no BODY. Counting Killing BODY Damage is the only exception. Damage Damage types are Normal Damage and Killing Damage . Normal Damage, as you may expect, is an Effect Roll for the BODY (health) damage done and is totaled for the STUN (exactly what it sounds like) damage. Killing Damage is the only case where you count the Total for Killing BODY damage; this is multiplied by 1/2 d6 for STUN. Both Normal and Killing damage may be lethal; however, Killing damage typically represents the effects of weapons made to kill, rather than stun - Swords, guns, knives and lasers rather than fists, clubs, concussion grenades or non-explosive bursts of fire. It is more likely to kill than Normal Damage. Some attacks do only STUN damage, which can’t kill. Some non-damage powers call for Effect Rolls where you only count the BODY and ignore the Total – This is how you tell how hard it is for the Entangled enemy to chop through your Spiderweb spell, for example. In some other cases, you don’t use BODY, and just count the Total. ======================================================================= In the Power Card example shown above, this is the macro I used: !power --tokenid|@{selected|token_id} --emote|**@{selected|token_name} attacks @{target|token_name} with his fists!** --format|default --name|Melee Attack --leftsub|Basic Strike Maneuver --rightsub|Reach ?{Number of Meters|1} meter -- Action|1/2 Phase; OCV +1; DCV +0; END -4 --Attack|[[11+2+@{selected|OCV}+?{Attack Modifier|0} -3d6]] vs. @{target|token_name}'s DCV @{target|DCV} --Hit|[[6d6+1d3+?{Damage Modifier|0}]] STUN damage and (x) BODY damage --Location|[[1t[HG_Location]]] | [[1t[Odds]]] I would like to have a script and a macro command so that I can write into the macro to calculate the BODY (or Killing) damage derived from the STUN roll. In the above macro, the character rolls 6d6+1d3 STUN damage, and then the amount of BODY damage is derived from the STUN result. Let's say he rolled 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, and 5. In this case the BODY damage would be 7. Cheers! :)
I've been hoping they'd add something like this for over a year... If they did, they would definitely pull more players onto Roll20 who want to play Hero Games, but find the system not adapted to Hero versions. Heck, it would be nice if they added Hero System as a game type when you are searching for a group! Sifting through "Other" is just a pain, and you can't use the keyword "Hero" to search effectively, since the word is used in about half of the Campaign descriptions.... --Dingo
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ok. I read through all the examples you gave. I've never played Hero System, so I'm afraid I didn't make too much sense to me. =D Success Roll I get. 3d6<NUM. 3 is crit, 18 is fumble. Your macro for Attack has: 11+2+@{selected|OCV}+?{Attack Modifier|0} -3d6 Is that left portion figuring out NUM, and so a positive value means failure? Effects rolls, I got completely lost on. Counting the BODY on 5d6 would be 5 - (number of 1s) + (number of 6s) ? 1d6 could be counted at 0 (on a 1), 1 (on 2-5) or 2 (on a 6) ? Counting the Total on 5d6 would just be the sum of the numbers seen? 1d6 could be counted at 1,2,3,4,5,6 for each of the corresponding faces? Killing Damage and Stun and 1/2 d6? More info please! =D
Thanks for reading through it. :) HERO Definitions OCV = Offensive Combat Value (the character's ability to attack in combat; default value is 3) DCV = Defensive Combat Value (the character's ability to defend in combat; default value is 3) OMCV = Offensive Mental Combat Value (default value is 3) DMCV = Defensive Mental Combat Value (default value is 3) HERO Attack Equation To determine if an attack hits its target, you make an Attack Roll using 3d6. You calculate the Attack Roll this way: Attack Roll: Attacker’s OCV + 11 - 3d6 roll = the DCV the attacker can hit The left portion of the example macro adds together: The base number of 11 The Attacker's OCV Any bonuses/penalties and then the player rolls 3d6 and subtracts that total from the above derived number; this final number equals the DCV hit by the Attack Roll. Dice Rolls Most of the dice rolls in the game are done on 3d6 and then comparing the result to a target number. Most Characteristic Rolls succeed on a roll of 11 or less. The rest of the dice rolls in the game are done on a number of d6s which can be as low as a 1/2d6 (also noted as 1d3), and are Effect Rolls. The Effect Roll can vary between two methods of comparing numbers to determine success: Rolling the dice and totaling the value of each die result together to get a total ( Counting the Total) Rolling the dice and converting the value of each die rolled in the BODY value, and then getting a BODY total ( Counting the BODY) Counting a d6 Roll A roll of a 1 on the die equals 0 BODY A roll of 2-5 on the die equals 1 BODY A roll of 6 on the die equals 2 BODY Counting a half-die (1/2d6) Roll A roll of 1-3 on the die equals 0 BODY A roll of 4-6 on the die equals 1 BODY There are two Characteristics (STUN and BODY) that are related to STUN and Killing Damage. The STUN value for most characters is a default 20. The BODY value for most characters is a default 10. STUN Damage rolls do both STUN Damage and Killing Damage. The STUN damage is calculated by adding the results of all the d6s rolled and deriving a total (Counting the Total). In addition to the STUN damage total, it also does a number of BODY damage which is calculated by converting the result of each die rolled into a BODY damage total (Counting the BODY). Killing Damage only does BODY damage.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ok. I think that clears it up for me. Thanks!
I think 1/3d6 roll can be better modeled as 1d3 stun and 1d2-1 body.