Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can you prettify this macro?

Hi macro wizards! I've come up with a basic wandering monster macro, which rolls for the check, and if successful, rolls on a rollable table to get a wandering monster result. However, it's ugly in the chat window. I'd like to do it with all inline rolls, but as I understand, you can't nest inline rolls. Short of API help, is there a way to make this any better? Here's the macro: /w gm Wandering monster check: /gmroll [[?{Die Type?|d6}<?{Target Number?|1}]]t[Wandering-Monsters] Here's the chat window output (with a negative and positive result): Any thoughts?
Here ya Go(zer): /w gm Wandering Monster Check: [[?{Die Type?|d6}<?{Target Number?|1}]] [[1t[Wandering-Monsters]]] Your output will look something like this: At first I had trouble, as it looked like you were hoping to make more than one roll on the table at a time. I don't think that would work at all; in my experience you only get the first result. If that is what you want, I'd suggest just repeating the macro multiple times and picking the one you like. -Phnord
Hey, that's great! I would prefer for the monster to come up only on a successful result, but this is definitely workable, and all without API. Thanks!
Yeah, I tried a few different things, but couldn't get that to work. Like you said, it's a fundamental limitation in the way the inline rolls thingy works... you can have the number, or the table, but not both.
No, that will work perfectly. Now, I just have to make a bunch of rollable tables. I also added a functionality whereby the macro queries the table name, instead of just rolling on Wandering-Monsters, so I can tailor my random encounters for Dungeon, Wilderness, and Adventure-specific. Thanks again!
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Nice idea Gozer and Phnord. Very stealably useful :)