Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Possible Future Feature, create and destroy other objects...

Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Wondering if the ability to create and destroy some other objects might be on the horizon? I've got a few ideas for scripts where it would be nice to be able to create an object on the map and then get rid of it.  One idea would be paths and a movement waypoint system. There are ways to get around this, but it could be useful to script writers.
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Konrad J. said: Wondering if the ability to create and destroy some other objects might be on the horizon? I've got a few ideas for scripts where it would be nice to be able to create an object on the map and then get rid of it.  One idea would be paths and a movement waypoint system. There are ways to get around this, but it could be useful to script writers. Riley has already said we will be able to create more objects, but not all of them are as simple as the ones we have at the moment. On the Wiki: Note: Currently only characters, handouts, attributes, and abilities can be created. Other objects will be supported soon.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Yup, just wondering if its in his thoughts? :)  Handouts would be useful if we could display them without the user having to do it.  Then we would have a way to talk to the users. I'm patient, just voicing ideas and hopes. :)
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Konrad J. said: Yup, just wondering if its in his thoughts? :)  Handouts would be useful if we could display them without the user having to do it.  Then we would have a way to talk to the users. I'm patient, just voicing ideas and hopes. :) Like most things what you ask for is no were near as easy as you might think. Making handouts popup i would bet is totally local the client downloads the data on the load of the campaign or just as the handout is being opened but the act of opening it comes from the client side, i expect no interferance from the server is nessasary. What that means if to make that work Riley needs to add a network command to the server that says "please open this handout" and make the client understand it, and to do that there are a lot of things he will need to think about. Its the same with making other objects like tokens for example, how do we know what id we need to give them to get a particular graphic? do we need to be able to search in the API? Or should he just say we have to make a token with the graphic first then use the API to get the id from that? These are all things he has to think about as well as what impact they will have on the game in general, so for now if he has already said he will do it be patient and give him a brake he has other stuff to do on top of make all the cool upgrades to the API and help debug our code.