Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Customized ruler measurements

The 5ft measuring ruler is super useful for RPGs like D&D but there are many other systems that use different measurements. Miles for overland movement, Meters for modern games, inches for tabletop games or just a plain square count for most boardgames. If you could set the base count as a number (eg. 1, 5, 24) and the unit as a text string (eg. square[sq] inch['], feet[ft], miles etc..) that would be awesome!
also to be considered that in other countries the measurements are not in feet but meters
A complete Unit and Ruler overhaul would be great being able to set how much space each square/hex represents, and alternate ruler options Original (I have no idea what the current system even think's it's doing. 30 ft left and 30 ft up is still 30 ft? HAH HAH WHAT) Roof, Floor, and Round (logic formulas for the whole system would be useful, as they could apply to dice rolls too)
That is the Uniform Norm or Maximum Norm , also know as the Infinity Norm, Chebyshev distance, or Chessboard distance. It is used as a simple alternative to measuring in some games such as (I am told) D&D 4e. Other games use the 1 Norm (also known as "Manhattan distance" or the "taxicab norm"). D&D 3 used the average of the 1 and Infinity norms. Games with their roots in miniatures wargames rather than board wargames tend to use the 2 Norm or Euclidean Norm, or in other words straight-line distance. There has been vigorous discussion about what norm Roll20 ought to favour, with some considerable feeling that D&D3's norm is to be preferred even to the Euclidean norm.
The more you know! I don't see why they would need to favor a certain norm because if there were options, everyone could be happy with it.
Some people feel that the norm used in D&D3.x and other D20 games is the only correct one for an RPG, or that it is close enough (and therefore preferable) to the Euclidean norm.
As you probably refer to our previous discussion, distorting again what was said, can I say for the umpteenth time that I don't favor D&D norm because I don't play D&D and don't know what its norm can be. Trying to appear as a victim of D&D fanboys is ridiculous and childish. I had reasons to prefer the 1/1.5 standard. We disagree on that, but it has nothing to do with the norm in use in D&D, only with my appreciation of its advantages.
We already have this in the next update, coming soon! (TM)
Patrick, you aren't the only person who has advocated for counting alternate diagonals as one and two, and your reasons for preferring it are neither the only ones expressed nor the only ones in effect.
Really? Did someone said that his reason to prefer 1/1.5 was because the norm used for D&D is the only correct one for a RPG? That's a post I have still to read.
Davide Rizzo, The capability to customize Roll20's ruler units was requested and the moderators replied well to the suggestion (this thread and many others: <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/comment/2643#Comment_2643" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/comment/2643#Comment_2643</a>). It can have something to do with what Riley Dutton said here.