Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[ARTISTS] Looking for artists who wish to collaborate for a script

Edited 1423547821
Hey all, I've been private messaging Russ H. about this for a day or two and he suggested I just put this out there. Currently I've been working on an all-inclusive Pathfinder creature generator to allow GMs the ability to copy a stat block from d20prsrd or the PRD, paste it into the token notes, and have it ready for action. Being a user of Peter W. 's script, I was huge fan of not having to create macros and abilities for every.. single.. monster.. as opposed to spending time world building, or preparing neat little handouts for my players; enriching the experience. Also for quick one shots, or impromptu player actions, you can quickly create encounters when your players decide to use interplanetary teleport.. or plane shift to the city of Axis. They always said a good programmer is one who's lazy, and I really didn't have time to spend on monster generation. I've been working on the script for almost a month in my free time, an hour here, two there, a tab that's always open in one of my browsers; and ended up scripting a menu based system. It doesn't spam a massive amount of token actions on the token bar which though helpful in displaying what a creature can do, doesn't necessarily speed up things as looking up the massive list of buttons requires searching. It also doesn't fill character sheets as the PF sheet written by Sam is amazing.. but designed more for players, I dread having to make a sheet for each monster I encounter; for significant NPCs I'd find the time, but not for a creature they'll fight perhaps only once. In the end, I designed a prompt-based system which reduces that intents of to what the creature can do where if you want to attack, you press attack and are presented with melee, ranged, or special options, and continue from there. A tree format to access deeper levels of creature abilities. Here is where the artistry comes into mind as I use little images in the menus to 'spruce it up' but my artistry is currently lacking. I've been working with the talented Russ H. to help shore up my deficiencies for a collaborative push it make it look amazing and functional. and we're piecing together what looks best with Russ leading the artistic direction. Yesterday I put Russ' images into my template and it's looking far better than my sorry excuse for GIMP clone-tool ninja skills. I'm looking to collaborate with more artists to add 'templates' to the script, and Russ suggested I put an open call for artists. The script will be released open source so everyone can use it, but right now I'm keeping the ugly things under the hood ugly until I can flesh out the remainder of the logical loop holes. Partly why I'm looking for some artistic help so I can focus on the logic as opposed to the artwork which is pretty painstaking for myself. Here's a few other sections of the script in action producing spell lists, and attack templates. Let me know if we can work together to bring this to reality! I'll private message with more details. Currently the script is not ready for public release, I'd rather not unleash ugly upon the world, I know some software developers like the whole 'the public are your beta testers' but I still believe in getting it right. But if you're a an artist who wants to contribute a template for everyone to use and select in the script's options; let me know!
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Ken for involving me! This was fun and I'm looking forward to seeing more examples (especially the spell and attack scrolls! Oooo ahhhhh) Thanks again!
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Submitted! :)
I should be thanking you guys for not letting me embarrass myself with my horrible art skills! Gabe also mentioned that he's jumping aboard, the more the merrier :) Perhaps we can all do templates, like.. a tech template, an old-world style, bloody horror, all sorts of weird shenanigans. Ideally I'm going to add logic so someone can !CreatureGen -tmp russ !CreatureGen -tmp alan !CreatureGen -tmp custom To load the templates that we put together, as well as have a custom option for players. I'm not sure if there's a large benefit to be had if I added say: !CreatureGen -tmp-seg spell alan To selectively configure it to pull say the currently loaded template + the spell template overriding the current. Let me know what you think.

Edited 1423538337
I also really like what Alan did with the spellbook overlay! It's like each and every template carries a different theme! Sorry, Alan if I spilled some beans but that was super creative what you did with the overlay! I'll try not to spill anymore. after all, the full package hits better rather than shunting it off all piece meal :) Let me know if you can get in via my campaign link and you can quickly check overlays and how they fit.
Russ H.
Marketplace Creator
Blast you Alan for creating such a phenomenal piece! I shall have to step up my game...
Rhyannon
Marketplace Creator
Hey Ken, Russ, asked me to check this post out, and he was right, I am def interested! Let me know what I can do to help.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Very happy for you to share, I hope it helps to illustrate what your script does Ken :)
It's really an all in effort, you should have seen my first attempt. Hint, it wasn't pretty... I had the image posted somewhere... ah here. Welcome aboard Rhya! Let me know if there are any issues seeing if the overlays work. meanwhile, I'll close gimp and see if any feature creep is needed.. starting with that magic menu I mentioned.