Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Echo command

It would be nice to be able to use /echo commands in macro's, so that if you make a macro that says /roll 2d10 Fireball! /echo Remember that your spells do bonus damage while standing in magic circles It would roll the 2d10 and say fireball, and then display the echo text, but only on YOUR screen (basically, as a whisper to yourself) In the system I play, players are constantly getting temporary powers, and have been writing out the descriptions for each power in macros, to check on later.  However the only way we can effectively do that right now is with regular chat, which tends to quickly flood the chatbox when a player just wants to review what each power does. Alternatively, an echo command in the macro section of the character sheet/ in the macro panel in your settings. Just another symbol next to the d20 button, that lets you 'test' a macro by only displaying it to yourself. This would have added functionality of letting players test out macro's before using them, while also filling the need of the echo command by outputting stuff so only you can see it, so you can double check what it does, before you use the ability.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Some of what you want can already be done via HTML 5 commenting tags:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> - Gauss
That doesn't actually help though. The point is to be able to just click a button to have it output to chat, so you can read it, instead of having to go edit the token power to see what it says. The comment tag wouldn't be any different then just having a power normally and just never using it.
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
You would think you could just whisper to yourself, but I tried it and someone thinks they are being funny by putting a response "you are trying to whisper to yourself, are you insane". :) If you could whisper to yourself would that solve your problem. Did you want the fireball line to show up in the chat for everyone and the echo line to show up only in the player's own chat window?
Whispering to self would be fine, yeah. I attempted to do that, thinking it would do the trick. Sadly, that is not the case. It would be nice to be able to have players make hidden rolls while testing macros, as I have a player that likes to tinker with the macro system any time he gets a new power, but its really not a huge deal (at least for me)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhh right, sorry about that. :)&nbsp; - Gauss
I agree with having Macro tests that are user only. I loathe to clutter the log with Macro tests but, you need to test them to be sure they work properly. And the whisper to self. Right now I do have notes like that, and when I ran my game I had such notes in my monster macros, but it kinda gave out more information than the PCs needed but there was no other way.