Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Advice on starting second adventure

Dan W.
Sheet Author
Hello, I thought I'd asked this question already, but I'm must not have hit 'post'… and I can't find it. I've finished my first adventure series with my group and I'm going to start preppig for adventure #2 of the campaign. What I'd like to know is what is the best way to do this: copy/extend the campaign? Use the Transmogrifier (it would be my first time!) to copy it? Just keep adding pages to the current one? I'm a little dubious about just chucking on more pages because the existing ones don't always show me a thumbnail when I'm looking through the list of them. Also, when changing the zoom level the map gets a lot of visual artifacts (sometimes). These problems remain when copying/extending the campaign. Here's an example of that. Some of the thumbnails are missing/have question marks and there are visual artifacts on the map after zooming to 80% Those issues are relatively minor and I can live with them. What I really want to avoid is painting myself into a corner if there are any lessons learned for long-running campaigns. Is it best to just keep extending the campaign for each adventure arc?
I had a campaign that ran for nearly 11 months. It was a Pathfinder adventure path designed in 6 chapters. I did chapter 1 in one campaign then began exploring more API and started everyone in a second campaign for chapter 2, ran 3, 4, 5 in that single campaign. By the time I got to chapter 5 loading times for characters were very slow (several minutes to load the initial page). The dev team looked into it and it was simply the amount of maps, monsters, journals, etc... (even though most things were archived). So my lesson learned, to avoid that problem I constantly start a new campaign with each chapter of the adventure. It takes a bit of time to setup the API and some of the other things needs, but it is worth it to avoid having issues later.
Seconding Kevin's suggestion to make another campaign. The transmogrifier is really easy to use, and it means you only have to copy over the assets you're likely to use. AND you can wait to copy them until you're ready to use them. Plus, it gives you the original campaign as a backup space in case anything goes wrong... transmogrify stuff from the new campaign back to it for safe keeping! Regarding the thumbnail issue: It looks like you're using the draw tool for your maps, which is why there isn't a thumbnail. The system looks for the largest image (I think) on a page and uses that; if there isn't an image to use, it doesn't display anything. By this I mean images from the library; drawings don't seem to count. As far as the artifact thing, that's weird. Never seen that before and I don't know why it would do that. Perhaps the Devs can help? -Phnord
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've been running a campaign for over a year now, and gone through several story arcs. I archive my pages that I don't need any more. Give them a useful name so you know which page to un-archive if you go back somewhere later.
I just use the same campaign and download and save my maps. I use cc3 and import them. When They move out of the area, I make a new one. That being said, copying the campaign over is of course a workable solution.