Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do I use sound effects and music but not use soundcloud?

Edited 1425313892
I have a variety of sound effects I've created specifically for my campaign. I have also purchased a copyrighted sound track for my game. I don't want to upload the copyrighted material to soundcloud for everyone to use for free. I have a lot of respect for the company that created the soundtrack. Is there a way to bypass this? I could play the music loudly in my room while playing so that the mic picks it up but that would suck. Surely other people have ran into this since many of us use copyrighted soundtracks for our games. Edit: I did find this link but that was 2 years ago . No progress made on this in two years? I guess I'll just upload copyrighted material.
Officially, Roll20 does not sanction the use of any system other than Soundcloud for audio enhancement. Unofficially, of course, there are ways around this. For example, Skype. It's fairly easy to stream music from your own computer through a Skype call; videos can be found on YouTube that detail the process step-by-step. And as long as you're doing this in a private, not for profit, campaign, I don't see any reason not to use copyrighted material you own. -Phnord
Allow me to show you the variety of music and sounds available on Sound Cloud. Hopefully this will match up your desire to put some immersive music and sounds I also include the sharers of material that I don't have on my list. <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wSbob-Z3dZWImdRJIhjt76_R9A8hatfy6H8C02wwbQA/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wSbob-Z3dZWImdRJIhjt76_R9A8hatfy6H8C02wwbQA/edit?usp=sharing</a> I hope this will prove to be of some help.

Edited 1425318750
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Depending on your ability, experience, equipment, I can think of a couple methods. I haven't actually done this, so take it for what it's worth. Also, I'm not condoning sharing music/audio you don't own. There may even be some copyright issues with sharing what you do own... You could use an external mixing board or a sound card with multi ins/outs, input whatever sounds you want into it, output to your mic or audio input on the computer. You can mix the levels as needed and they will be heard in roll20 over your voice output. Another option, use a program/driver like Virtual Audio Cable which allows you to "virtually" combine the audio output of programs to a single output. If you don't have an ASIO supported sound card, you may also need to use the ASIO4ALL sound driver.
@phnord, I really want to avoid using skype but if that's what I have to do then so be it. Thanks for the tip. @Razir, thanks for the doc but I really want to use the soundtrack I bought. I also have certain sound effects I created just for the game. @Vince, good pointers. I found a program called soundflower that I'm going to try. I'll look up your methods as well if it doesn't work out.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Game Maestro said: @Vince, good pointers. I found a program called soundflower that I'm going to try. I'll look up your methods as well if it doesn't work out. I think Soundflower is basically the Mac version of VAC. Goodluck. Report back if you get something workable. I've kicked the idea around of adding external sounds myself. So I'm curious.
It is doable with soundcloud. I played around with it but it can be tricky to dynamically adjust volume levels. I gave up as the hassle involved wasn't worth it.
razir.....great link. that document really takes care of most of the search work! no list is ever complete, but that list is kick ass. thanks!
A pleasure to help others who share my love of the hobby