Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[API] /fx in API

Is it possible to use /fx in API? Currently looks like not, I'll double check when I get back though

Edited 1425584555
Since this is an API question, this will be transfered to the API forum.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I haven't tried it, but considering /fx places the effect centered on the currently selected token, and the API doesn't have a selected token when you use sendChat, I doubt it would work.
Ah, I thought I put this in the API forum. That's unfortunate, though I did drop this here so we can hopefully get this feature one day. I mean, we have that extra tool as mentors but it's often not used since it's a hassle to change tools. Automation of it would do wonders... explosive wonders. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1679682/slash-fx-command-for-use-in-api/#post-1679682" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1679682/slash-fx-command-for-use-in-api/#post-1679682</a>

Edited 1425588853
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I would point out that creating your own particle emitter engine with the API, while not trivial , should not be beyond the scope of possibility. So, it's something that could potentially be accomplished by us before the feature gets added by the devs. =)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Based on my APIHeartBeat experiment, a particle engine in the API might be a bit frustrating. =D However, defining particle effects in the API sounds awesome, particularly if you can change them over time. (and I mentioned that on Ken's Suggestion. =D )
Brian said: I would point out that creating your own particle emitter engine with the API, while not trivial , should not be beyond the scope of possibility. So, it's something that could potentially be accomplished by us before the feature gets added by the devs. =) If you're expecting the API to be able to update the status of an object more than 5 times per second or so that's probably hoping for too much :P I will look into adding the /fx command to the API.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Sweeet!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Brian said: I would point out that creating your own particle emitter engine with the API, while not trivial , should not be beyond the scope of possibility. So, it's something that could potentially be accomplished by us before the feature gets added by the devs. =) If you're expecting the API to be able to update the status of an object more than 5 times per second or so that's probably hoping for too much :P With the right particle sprite and emitter settings, 5 fps might be sufficient. =P