Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hey Roll20! Pimp my formatting!

Ok, so I'm playing around with the new default template, and I've made a macro for a character's saving throws, but when it comes out in the chat window, it looks like this: I can expand the chat window to make it look like this: But then I lose precious screen real estate. Is there a way to use HTML formatting commands to make sure that the entire card shows in the chat window? Here's the code for the macro: &{template:default} {{name=**@{selected|token_name}**-Saving Throw}} {{**Type**= Pass/Fail }} {{Rods/Staves/Wands=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveRodsStavesWands}]] }} {{Breath Weapon=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveBreathWeapons}]] }} {{Paralysis/Poison/Death=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveParalysisPoisonDeath}]] }} {{Petrification/Polymorph=[[1d20>@{selected|SavePetrificationPolymorph}]] }} {{Spells=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveSpells}]] }}
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I'd physically shorten the text, myself. 'R/S/W' 'BW' 'P/P/D' 'P/P' and Spells. It's what I did back in the stone ages,with my custom paper character sheets. Or changing your font-size if roll-templates allow such.
You could also pop out the chat, and look at it that way

Edited 1426600683
Adding spaces will allow for word wrapping putting your 3 lengthy sections into 2 lines each and keeping the output within the chat window &{template:default} {{name=**@{selected|token_name}**-Saving Throw}} {{**Type**= Pass/Fail }} {{Rods/ Staves/ Wands=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveRodsStavesWands}]] }} {{Breath Weapon=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveBreathWeapons}]] }} {{Paralysis/ Poison/ Death=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveParalysisPoisonDeath}]] }} {{Petrification/ Polymorph=[[1d20>@{selected|SavePetrificationPolymorph}]] }} {{Spells=[[1d20>@{selected|SaveSpells}]] }}
Thanks for the help guys, that's what I was looking for!
As Chell pointed out, the key is to include spaces between long text entries to allow wrapping. And of course to use abbreviations or other shorter versions of the needed text. Changing the chat bar size or popping out the window unfortunately won't help the other players reading the template, which is the point of them.
I went with the spaces, and that works well. Abbreviations would work too, but I'd probably be looking back later and saying, "What does P/P/D stand for?"
common abbrev for Poison/Paralysis/Death save
If you want some better Aesthetics for it with the spacing then you may wish you put a space both before and after each /
The Templates also understand certain HTML entities like non-breaking spaces "& n b s p ;" (remove the spaces between characters) So you can mess with that a little to force some blank spaces. I do it with some multi-line macros to create a fake tabbed-in effect.

Edited 1426620637
Mark G. said: The Templates also understand certain HTML entities like non-breaking spaces "& n b s p ;" (remove the spaces between characters) So you can mess with that a little to force some blank spaces. I do it with some multi-line macros to create a fake tabbed-in effect. I have had zero success using "& n b s p ;" in templates myself... but then again stuff that has no reason to not work has an odd habbit of not working around me...

Edited 1426622505
Here's a (somewhat overcomplicated) example from my Fighter. He uses a +1 Corrosive Flail of Undead Bane, and to make damages easier to total, I use non-breaking spaces to 'push' the acid damage to be inline with the Bane damage above it. /me swings his flail around, the blunt silver protrusions glistening with drops of magical acid... (The Template code is broken up for readability(well, as much as any of my macros are readable). It needs to be one contiguous line of text to function) &{template:default} {{name=Primary Attack}} {{Hit:=[[1d20cs&gt;17 + @{Rurik|STR}[STR] + @{Rurik|BAB}[BAB] +3[WeaponBonus] + ?{AttackMod|0} ]]+[[2]]***Bane***}} {{Dmg:=[[1d8 + @{Rurik|STR}[STR] + 3[WeaponBonus] + ?{DamageMod|0} ]] **+** [[2+2d6]]***Bane*** **+** [[1d6]]***Acid***}} {{C.Hit:=[[1d20 +4[CritFocus] + @{Rurik|STR}[STR] + @{Rurik|BAB}[BAB] +3[WeaponBonus] + ?{AttackMod|0} ]] **+** [[2]]***Bane***}} {{C.Dmg:=[[1d8 + @{Rurik|STR}[STR] + 3[WeaponBonus] + ?{DamageMod|0} ]] **+** [[2]]***Bane***}} {{Note:=**Crits** cause **[Nauseated]( <a href="http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Nauseated)**" rel="nofollow">http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Nauseated)**</a> }} Without the chunk, the " 6 Acid " would show up beneath Dmg: instead of lined up with the other bonus damages. ( Pardon the appearence. The forums don't like posting html elements so I had to make due with dinky MSPaint)
Is there supposed to be some kind of character before the first & n b s p ;?

Edited 1426625007
no, that's just a bad screen capture. (sue me, I'm at work using print screen and MS Paint)
You'll be hearing from my attorney. :)