Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll Templates - Make Dice Stand Out More

I don't know if this has been suggested yet or not, and if it has, please let me know. When I click a roll button on a character sheet utilizing roll templates, I'd like to know the exact value of what the die landed on. Sure, I can see it when I hover over the result, but it's so well buried in the mathematical formulas, it can be very difficult to spot. There's just something satisfying in seeing what I actually rolled before modifiers. My suggestion is to make that dice roll stand out a bit more. This can be as simple as just making the text bigger (a simple css change :) ) or going all the way with overlaying it over a d20 die image like in the native chat. I really have no preference for either - I just wanna be able to see the die's value easily. What do you think?
It might be easiest to just stick a die image right next to the number, or any die roll result. That would be a change to whatever generates the html for this overlay piece, but a simple img src="image.jpg" addition to each die value output shouldn't be too crazy.
One interesting way to do it might be to formally incorporate the [XPND] modifier from the PowerCards version 2 API script. This seems like something that could be nice in base Roll20 for all inline rolls. The above shows (on an unfortunate roll of 1, poor Kenneth) how it displays in Powercards. The Attack line there is the result. The number in parentheses is the actual roll, the next number the sum of all bonuses and penalties, and the number after the equal sign the total. Since there are only three numbers shown here, the parentheses serve as a really nice, easy telltale sign of which one is the roll and the eye can quickly be drawn there...in contrast to hovering over an inline roll, which shows the full formula twice (once to show the pre-roll formula, and second to show the version with the die rolls in it). I love PowerCards, but agree that I'd like to see this functionality in base Roll20--that way it can work easily with Roll Templates and such, too! More than just a simple display preference, this is actually very, very helpful in certain RPGs--for instance, 13th Age --where the precise number rolled is essential information and determines results in detail. That game in particular doesn't just use criticals and fumbles like a lot of other RPGs--sometimes you need to know if a roll was even, odd, or 16+ as well, and some moves even use all of those possible conditions. If someone wants to use Roll Templates rather than the PowerCards API (or if the PowerCards API is not an option for some current or future reason), adding this ability to Roll20 in general would be very nice.
+1 Not sure why this is not getting more love. Every 13th Age player should come upvote this.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .