Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Stuck on Loading Screen

Hi, I have been a happy beta tester of Roll20 for a little over a month. Recently I have been experiencing some issues with one of my three campaigns. My PCs have gotten through about half of my maps and we are currently scheduled to play again next Tuesday... Unfortunately, I am having a similar problem with a lot of other Beta Users. I select 'Launch Campaign" on my first Campaign and it brings me to the Roll20 Loading screen. I see the Roll20 banner, Loading (underneath it) and then mapping dungeon, rolling 1d20, hatching dragons... blah blah blah. No matter how many times I refresh it will not progress beyond this point. It just remains the black loading screen with no access to my maps, character tab, or chat. Steps to Reproduce the Problem I has been about three days now with this continual problem. Each time I exit the game, delete the Firefox (and Chrome) cache then try to restart. I have done this while holding shift. I have done this after several hours have past. I have even let the load screen sit on its own for a couple of hours. Last night I came back to the screen after quite some time and the campaign had loaded. Hoozah, I thought... but again today the first time I tried to access the campaign, I am experiencing the same problem. Description of Your Setup (Browser + Version, Operating System, etc.) (A good place to get that info if you don't know it: <a href="http://supportdetails.com/" rel="nofollow">http://supportdetails.com/</a>) I have tried this on two separate laptops, and two separate internet connections, and both on Firefox and Chrome. My current set up is... Windows 7 Screen Resolution 1600x900 Web Browser: Chrome 20.0.1132.57 Browser Size 1600-799 Color Depth 32 bit Javascript enabled Flash version 11.3.300 Cookies enabled Please help... Attached is a screen grab (that I know you have seen a lot of times) from what I am seeing. UPDATED 07/29/2012 I was able to access this campaign again, twice. However, it takes about 7+ hours to load. If I start the loading process early in the day and come back (about 7 hours later) the campaign is fully loaded and works fine. When I shut it down however... it will be at least another 7 hours before I can access it again. Also, I noticed (after deleting some of my uploaded pictures) that I needed to load another pic for the campaign icon. It also is now taking an insanely long time to load. I have been trying to copy/extend the campaign as well. Which only starts a new blank campaign, with nothing carried over from the glitching one. Please, any ideas on what could be causing my campaign ridiculous loading rate. UPDATED 07/30/2012 Today I decided that, since I have a game tomorrow, I needed to start a new campaign template from scratch. This time I kept two copies of the campaign and alternated between them to make sure whatever is causing this problem WON'T make me have to start all over AGAIN. Low and behold, everything seemed to be going fine until I started adding icons on to my maps and editing their information. There are two possibilities that started the "Loading" problem I had with the old campaign. They are as follows: 1. (and probably the culprit) I decided to input a couple lines into the "GM Notes (Only visible to the GM)" box. I entered values for initiative and perception (ex. "Init. +2, Perc. +7), and then for more complex baddies, entered defensive info and any notes on what they would do before combat (ex. "Fast Healing 1, Before Combat: creature casts invisibility"). 2. I put values in bars 1, 2, and 3. I don't believe this is the cause of my loading issues as I have not experienced problems with this in the past, when done on the fly. Directly after these changes I closed down the campaign and restarted. Low and Behold I got the black loading screen of death (or the loading screen of 7+ hours). Could their be a system issue that is either not recognizing (or rather trying to read and input these values) from this section? I can't think of anything else it could be. I only ended up adding maybe 10 tokens to the first map and entering values like I stated above. Please help... UPDATED 07/30/2012 I might scratch the above description. I just went back to my other saved Campaign and started slowly adding all of the icons to see what exactly was the matter... Surprisingly, I was able to add every token on the map without any issues. I was also able to add values not only to bars 1, 2, and 3, but to GM Notes as well. HOWEVER, I am running a pathfinder campaign and have PDF files for the adventure. I found that RIGHT AFTER copying and pasting from one of these PDF files, the next load lead to the "Loading Screen of 7+ Hour Sorrow". I am not sure why a pdf copy (seeing as how the system writes out the sentences in its own font and typeface, but what do I know. Please comment...
Ok, so I went ahead and redid my initial Campaign. I wanted to leave all of the information above in case anyone else has this issue. My Campaign (at least for now) seems to be working again. What the problem ended up being was copy and pasting from an outside source into token's data entry spaces. I used a PDF file of one of the campaigns I was running to copy defense stats and Before Combat actions. I don't know if they PDF I was using is bugged, or it is an issue across the board. But, something to look out for. Learn from me... Closed... for now.
Dylan G.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I am also stuck on the loading screen. I Have not tried to input values into the tokens, and my players can access the campaign. I have tried copying the campaign as well as trying both Chrome and Firefox. Any suggestions on how to deal with this would be appreciated.
Dylan G.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Re-installed Java and Flash and attempted connecting to a friend's campaign and the issue persists.
I have one campaign which is stuck on loading as well. Luckily, I was only getting started with it, but it is making me less confident of using Roll20 "for real". My current VTTs don't just start acting up like this, causing canceled sessions, etc. I guess that shows the downside of a server-based solution.
Dylan G.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Created an entirely new campaign, but cannot get past the loading screen there either.
Wish I could be more help. My process for getting unstuck was first disabling all add-ons and clearing the cache then restarting. Also, making sure that there weren't notes about the server being down (I know this was an issue when we played a few nights ago. Beyond this I undertook the steps above. My only advice is to recreate the campaign and make a copy, switching between the two until one gets trapped on the loading screen. Then narrowing down your last action that caused the glitch and posting it here so that the Dev's can take a look at it.