Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Ghostbusters! franchise hiring new team members, no experience needed. Apply within! (Oneshot, April 10, 6pm CST)

The year is 1986 - - a couple years since the events of the first (only!) Ghostbusters movie. You are bored, broke, and in need of a job. You are reading your newspaper when the following ad catches your eye: Help Wanted! Believe in the paranormal? Be a Ghostbuster! No Experience Needed! Apply in person at 1815 Wicker Avenue, NY, NY April 10, 1986 @9 AM. NO TELEPHONE CALLS! O h wow... that's today! You hastily wolf down the last of your bowl of Ghost Toasties (the frightfully delicious breakfast cereal), grab yourjacket,and run down to the subway, barely making it to your location in time. When you arrive, you see a few other people, all holding copies of the same newspaper ad in their hand. They are gathered in front of what looks like an old medical clinic, abandoned for decades, with graffiti-covered boards over all the windows. However, the front door stands open, and a dim light shines from within; strange noises echo from deep in the back. You think maybe being a fry cook isn't such an awful choice after all... I'm looking for 5 (five!) or so players to take on the roles of apprentice Ghostbusters, applying for a new job at a new Ghostbusters franchise being set up in New York City. The rules are extremely simple: Your character has four TRAITS: Brains, Muscles, Moves, and Cool. Each TRAIT has a starting value of 3; no trait can be lower than 2, but you may reduce a trait by 1 to add 1 to another trait. Example: Bob has Brains of 2, Muscles of 4, Moves of 3 and Cool of 2. Your character has one TALENT for each TRAIT; for example, "Parapsychology" for a Brains Talent, or "Climbing" for a Moves Talent. Each TALENT is its corresponding TRAIT, plus 3. Example: Bob has Brains Talent Memory of 2+3= ( 5 ), Muscles Talent Lift Stuff of 4+3= ( 7 ), Moves Talent Run of 3+3= ( 6 ), and Cool Talent of Flirt With Cute Chicks of 2+3= ( 5 ). To do something, you roll a number of 6-sided dice equal to the Trait or Talent you're using. If you roll a total higher than the target number for the difficulty of your action, you succeed. If you roll lower, you fail. It's that simple! Except... one of those dice is a Ghost Die. If it comes up as a Ghost, Something Bad Happens ! You may still succeed in your task, but there's a downside. You might trip and fall, you might have bumped into someone or broken something, you might have suddenly remembered you never sent your mother flowers on her birthday last week, it all depends on the situation. To apply for this ONE-SHOT game, please provide the following information in your post: Character Name Their stats, ie Traits and Talents. Their goal in life, a simple idea of what motivates them (for roleplaying purposes.) A brief background, one or two paragraphs of story telling us who they are. Your bank account information, including PIN and Security Question I'm joking about number five, of course. You don't need to include the PIN. If you really don't have any ideas for a character, there are a few pre-gens available. I will be accepting the first five (5) people who respond correctly in this forum posting; should more than that number apply, I will be forced to choose amongst those whose characters I like best, or whomever offers me the biggest bribe. If you are not chosen, for some reason, don't worry... I plan to run this game again in the future! -Phnord, who is a little bit afraid of some ghosts! Some Example Characters (Pre-gens you can play if you're, like, all boring and stuff!) (These were created by previous players of this exact game!) Brian "Professor" Jenkins: Brian, known as Prof to his friends, had tenure at the University of Toronto. He taught physics and history as his specialties. Recently, he had become interested in ghosts and the paranormal after an odd experience with his mother... his dead mother. The more he researched the paranormal, the more he became sure that it did, in fact, exist. Sharing this with colleagues made him the object of snickers and snide remarks. So much so, that he took a leave of absence to investigate ghost sightings and hopefully bring back proof to his doubting colleagues. He headed down to New York, believing that city was the nexus of paranormal activity. His wife, Helen, remained at the university as a History teacher and remains a potential research contact. He carries a Canon XLR with a modified lens, for the purpose of photographing a ghost in the act of, well, haunting. Driving motivation: The truth is out there, and he is going to find it. Brains 5, Physics 8 Muscles 2, Climbing 5 Moves 3, Listen 6 Cool 2, Orate 5 Gerald Jacobs: Gerald Jacobs is a recent graduate of Columbia University, with a Master's degree in Applied Parapsychology. Rather than pursue his doctorate, he's decided to take on a job utilizing what he knows in the real world. Gerald is a keen observer of human nature and has cultivated a "cool" personality based on rigorous, data-driven methodology. He talks the talk and walks the walk, because he has carefully studied media trends and has charts that tell him what to say and how to strut. If he put as much time into his parapsychological research as he does into being a cool 80s guy, he'd probably have two or three doctorates by now. Instead, he has two or three girlfriends at any given time, which is pretty great for a kid who got swirlied every day of high school. Gerald is eager to make a name for himself by busting ghosts. The media coverage should give him the opportunity to expand his "cool guy" research. Brains 3, Parapsychology 6 Muscles 2, Run 5 Moves 3, Strut 6 Cool 4, Fast-talk 7 Elizabeth Mendler: Liz is a plucky and animated 20 year-old New Yorker with a passion for life. Although her parents wanted her to do something practical with her life, she was always drawn to more artistic and off-beat outlets. She dropped out of nursing school a year into the program to pursue an acting career. When she saw that Ghostbusters was hiring, she figured it would be a way to make some quick cash and make her way into the lime-light. She was more than a little skeptical at first about "real life" paranormal occurrences. She figured the Ghostbuster franchise was just some kind of scheme that she would be able to put her skills to good use. After her first bust, a whole new world opened up for Liz and she's been studying up on the paranormal with enthusiasm. People may write her off for having her head in the clouds, but she's very determined when she puts her mind to something. Motivation: Can't decide between fame and serving humanity. Brains 3, Medicine 6 Muscles 2, Break Things 5 Moves 3, Disguise 6 Cool 4, Charm 7 PS: Game Inspired by, and using, Alan H's Ghostbusters Tokens! Thanks Alan H!
Thing that goes BUMP in the night afternoon.

Edited 1428585044
I am free for this one! I'd love to join! Ivan Ikenoskerlof : Ivan was the head of the Advanced Particle Physics Research Team at Moscow State University, researching the invisible forces of the universe (Dark-matter, the Higgs Field, etc.). That was, until his political views and some poorly encrypted emails lead him to being a NYC cabbie living in a rat infested apartment. Seeing the add, Ivan figures that he can throw enough mumbo-jumbo at these 3rd rate "scientists" to earn himself a hot meal (or at-least steal some office supplies). He's sure these random ionic interactions and infrasound that are causing Automatism and Hysteria are nothing he can't handle. Motivation: Make a living. (Doesn't believe in Ghosts) Brains 6, Particle Physics 9 Muscles 2, Running 5 Moves 2, Hide 5 Cool 2, Technical Mumbo-Jumbo 5
Excellent work, JohnnicusMaximus! One down, four to go...
Somebody asked me if their character had to be a scientist... the answer is a resounding "NO!" Your character can be anything they want to be. Here's another example character: Kristopher Senneca: Kris Senneca never graduated high school, bummed around instead of going to college, and just kind of….didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t the typical 80’s money-grubbing guy; he was only part of the “Me” generation in name only. It wasn’t that he was stupid or lazy. He just couldn’t find anything worth pursuing. Until he saw the “Ghostbusters” ad in the paper. Oddly enough, Kris didn’t believe in ghosts. Well, he didn’t disbelieve in them either, but he hadn’t seen any evidence that indicated they were real. Still, the ad said it would pay and even though he wasn’t sure if ghosts exists, there was always the chance and he could help people out. He fit right in, fortunately. He was particularly good at the equipment they had there. It was some pretty serious high-tech stuff and he was a natural at it. The company needed an athletic guy to help out with their calls and he got along with everyone really well. It was actually a pretty good job. Brains 2, Equipment Expert 5 Muscles 4, Rapid Shot 7 Moves 4, Sneaking 7 Cool 2, Smooth-Talker 5
1. Name: Joseph Garcia 2. Stats: Brains- 4 Mechanical 7 Muscles- 2 Kick Things Over 5 Moves- 4 Drive Vehicle 7 Cool- 2 Fast Talk 5 3. Life goals: The life goal of Joseph Garcia is to drive fast and repair cars ( Believes in ghosts) 4.Background: Joseph is a gearhead who has had an experience with driving and repairing cars. He believes in ghosts because he thinks that he has raced against a ghost driver. It was a dark night and Joseph had been cruising in his car looking for the spot where he agreed to race a man. suddenly a car that looked to be from the 50's pulled up and the driver gave a signal that he wanted to race. They started to race then suddenly when Joseph was just behind the old car the car disappeared. Joseph wants to find the ghost and re-race and this time win the race.
That makes two! Keep those applications coming, folks. -Phnord
Finn "Dick" Dockins : Finn had been a private investigator in NYC for almost 20, having worked alongside members of Ghostbusters during a few cases. On his last case, he was looking into a kidnapping perpetrated by a local cult. The cult had caught wind of his investigation, and retaliated by using his wife as a living human sacrifice. Although the cult was eventually capture, and charged with their crimes, Finn turned from PI business and focused only on achieving closure. He knew that his dead wife would never rest peacefully unless he could see to it personally. Problem was, he only knew very little about the paranormal, and was on the verge of giving up. Until he saw an ad in the paper one day... Motivation : To seek out information about his wife's spirit, and hopefully put her to a peaceful rest Stats: Brains 4/Deduce 7 Muscle 2/Brawl 5 Moves 3/Fire Weapon 6 Cool 3/Charm 6 Out-of-character information : This character is 100% inspired by the oldschool film noir hard-boiled gumshoe PI's a la Humphrey Bogart in The Maltese Falcon.
Lookin' good, folks; that's 3 outta 5 so far! I know there's two more people out there who wanna play - let's hear from you! -Phnord
Suppertime BUMP!
I am very interested in this (I ran a very long GBI campaign many moons ago), but when are you planning on playing? I'll cook up a character or two in the meantime.
Phnord Prephect said: (Oneshot, April 10, 6pm CST)
If I wasn't going out of town on Friday I'd be more than down to joIn. Any chance of doing another one in the future?
Colin Ferreira has been working as a studio engineer for a variety of hard rock bands. A few weeks ago, the bassist for Dire Goat Sins brought in a flexidisc which purported to contain voices of the dead recorded by some eastern European guy. He asked Colin what he thought of it. He listened to it a few times, at first sure it was fake. Yet he couldn't resist experimenting with the studio gear, filtering out the ambient noise to see if there were any voices in the background. His results were inconclusive - but then again, the studio wasn't known for its ghosts. Maybe hanging around some real haunted locations would yield better results? Motivation : Colin wants to break out of engineering, but he's just not a good enough guitarist to make it. On the other hand, finding a real live dead vocalist might just lift him to stardom. Stats : Brains 4, Electronics 7 Muscle 3, Rip Things Open 6 Moves 2, Make Music 5 Cool 3, Tell Fibs 6
Thanks. Not sure how I missed that. Looks like I won't be able to do this one. Next time, hopefully.
Hunter E. said: If I wasn't going out of town on Friday I'd be more than down to joIn. Any chance of doing another one in the future? Nearly 100%... I LIKE this game! Darren I: Good character, you're in! Everybody else: That's four out of five... we got room for ONE more! -Phnord, slightly disappointed that nobody needed to bribe him.

Edited 1428693726
Character Name: Osha Goggins, NTV News . Brains: 2, Pick up Details 5 Muscles 2: Throw Things 5 Moves 4: Former Gymnast 7 Cool 4: "You're on Camera!" 7 Their goal in life, a simple idea of what motivates them (for roleplaying purposes.) Get the story and get NTV known for reporting, not music videos! (Can you imagine an NTV without music videos?) I mean, if someone can get famous reporting on NINJA attacks and a guy named SHREDDER... A brief background, one or two paragraphs of story telling us who they are. There was a rumor going around that ghosts, and those that purported to catch them, were actually part of an international conspiracy between the living and the Rotarians. Osha knew there was only one way to get the story: go into the Ghostbusters. Despite Osha's appearances (bright orange raincoat, six-pack abs and androgyno haircut), Zhe is actually a superb reporter. As far as that goes.
And that makes five! I'll be setting things up for the next hour or two, then I'll be around to post a link to the game room for everyone to join. We'll be gathering and hopefully all be present by 6pm CST (2 1/2 hours from now, -ish) at which point I'll go over the rules of the game and the opening setup. Then we'll go 'live' and see what happens! -Phnord, looking forward to scaring the crap out of you all!
Game links have been sent by Private Message to all who will be participating in tonight's game! If you didn't get a link, post here and I'll see what I did wrong. Game officially starting in one hour! -Phnord
I'm interested, but I don't know how to make a character. I have the rules on standby, but I'm confused on some things. Can someone help?
Torrin, at the moment this game is full. However, should someone drop out, I'll send you a link and we'll work things out from there. Sorry you missed it, but there will be another run in the future. Glad you were able to play with us! -Phnord
Link didn't work.
Golden B, I'm terribly sorry. I think I sent you the wrong link! I'll make it up to you (hopefully) next time I run this, by putting you at the top of the list and making sure you get in, if you're able to. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when that will be, but it won't be too long. I'll let you know! -Phnord, who's really sorry about that! PS: The game was a great success, thanks to all who played! I had a great time!
This game was a blast, Phnord is an excellent GM, and the system is simple enough to where you can get by without ever having even seen the Movies. If anyone sees him running this one-shot again, DEFINITELY try to get in the game. You'll have a great time.
So glad to see other folks running the Ghostbusters RPG. I've run the game a few times at conventions and would love the opportunity to be a part of a game as a player. Fingers crossed that another one of these is set up.