Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Request] Teleport/Portals script

This script request is based around a thematic idea that I think could work exceptionally well on Roll20. I stared the discussion here . Think of a maze... but it's not exactly a traditional maze. More of a series of areas interconnected with portals/teleporters. While I am thinking of this in the context of my thematic idea, it seems like it could be a practical script used in many different cases. Teleporters/Portal - These are one way gateways with a specific entrance and a specific exit, essentially a one-way ticket from point A to point B. These will of course need to be grouped so that they "link" properly. Portal-A-In links to Portal-A-Out. It would also be nice to have a group of "Entrance" Portals link to a random group of "Exit" portals. For example, Portal-B-In randomly sends the player to Portal-B-Out-1 through Portal-B-Out-10. These portals should be shown/defined on the GM layer represented by specifically named tokens. In other scripts tokens placed on the journal layer had to be linked to character sheets. Would it be possible to instead use the token name instead of the journal name? This way you need not clutter up the journal with entries, but still had the option to do so if you wanted to (by linking the tokens to journal entries). I think the above is feasible with the API based on the other script in the original thread. Now here is a tricky part that I am not sure if it is possible and/or how it could be implemented. The standard one-way portal with a defined entrance and exit work fine in a group setting. The random ones would be beneficial as well to force the part to split... however there is an instance where you want the entire group to be teleported to the same random location when one individual interacts with a portal, I don't know how feasible this would be and/or how difficult it would be to implement this. I know a bit of Javascript for the API, but unfortunately I think it is beyond my ability to code efficiently, so any help would be appreciated.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Kevin said: Now here is a tricky part that I am not sure if it is possible and/or how it could be implemented. The standard one-way portal with a defined entrance and exit work fine in a group setting. The random ones would be beneficial as well to force the part to split... however there is an instance where you want the entire group to be teleported to the same random location when one individual interacts with a portal, I don't know how feasible this would be and/or how difficult it would be to implement this. For this, do you mean: When a member of the party enters the portal, it sets the random destination, and future trips into it will teleport to that location When a member of the party enters the portal, it immediately teleports all the members of the party to that destination Either of those is possible. The first is slightly easier because you don't have to worry about which tokens make up the party, but the second is also handleable.
My initial thought was option 2, however option 1 would work very well (better honestly than option 2 in some cases), but would there be a way to reset it, otherwise it seems like if you had a series of random teleporters, you could end up in a loop.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That could certainly be handled. =D