Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Game Master Review

There should be some method that allows players to evaluate their GMs. We all hate investing time in character creation just to have a game cancelled (or worse yet, have the GM simply no-show). Playing in a tabletop (or virtual tabletop) RPG is a privilege and should be viewed as a responsibility. Multiple people (likely busy adults with lives) have taken time out of their day to contribute to a game we all love. I hold my players to a high standard in regards to preparation and punctuality. That said, GMs should be held to an even higher level of scrutiny. GMs need to be organized, on time, communicative and facilitative. Requests and questions need answered. Maps, NPCs and encounters need preset (not start being created when game time starts). The game needs to progress. A couple weeks ago I started a game as a player. The GM was 30 minutes late. When he finally arrived, his maps were incomplete and his approach was unorganized. The game was so poorly facilitated that 2.5 hours in we had not yet rolled the first initiative. This was not because there was roleplaying, either. It was because he was not prepared and neither were his players. Please try to save those of us that pour our time into Roll20 GMing and character creation. People have the right to know when they are getting into something that might be a complete waste of time...a lot of time. We need a method to review GMs. Both for the purpose of saving the players time and perhaps even to give the deserving GMs the praise and appreciation they deserve.
I agree, to a point. There absolutely should be some sort of accountability system in place, for both players and GMs. It is just as annoying as a GM to have a player who goes through everything to make a character for your game, commits to be there, and then never shows up, or always shows up late, or is just there to hassle and argue with everyone. However, the main problem I see is just that. People giving flaming bad reviews just because they had an argument, or something happened to a character that he didn't like. Its human nature to want to burn someone who has wronged you (weather real or imagined).
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Allowing people to ascribe a rating to other people is not something we really want on Roll20, even though I understand why it would be useful to weed out toxicity in peer-driven games like tabletop. We don't foresee this feature being on our radar for a long time, at least until we can figure out the ethical implications of it. This type of feature can and has been very easily abused before. On toxic users though, that is why our dev and mod team is here. We absolutely want to weed out toxic users and abusive users but rating is not the way to do that. Reporting toxic behavior is. Please report any users that violate our code of conduct and if you don't see a report button on the relevant interaction, please email us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> I hope you understand our firm stance on this. I'll be closing this thread and releasing your votes.