Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Request] Weather Generator + Jukebox?

Hey guys, Running a campaign so I thought it'd be nice to have a macro that I just press to get some weather. I'm horrible with macros and I tried to find/learn but its either incredibly complex or confusing to me. An example would be: I roll a d6, depending on the number, a specific /Desc with text comes up to describe the weather. And if it is possible, it would be great to target a specific jukebox track. So if I roll a 3, which I've set to be rain in the description it'd also start the rain track in the jukebox. Is it possible? :) And thanks for anyone replying.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This would be AMAZING!
I know right? It could really pack a punch for games where travel is important.
The api has no access to the jukebox at the moment.
Thats a shame, but the other stuff is still possible I am sure?
You can make a Rollable Table for the random weather.
its kinda horrible and doesn't quite fullfill the thought of my request

Edited 1429968856
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Are you using it in an inline roll? /desc The weather is [[1t[weather]]] today.
So how do I make that work with a macro roll? Say there's 6 different effects, like rain, windy, heavy wind or whatever it might be. My thoughts here is that I want to just click it, then it rolls and whatever it becomes it generates the assigned description bound to the number. I'm thinking it can't be all too hard to make a script for, but as stated previously I am horrible at macros :S
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
'Script' refers to API scripts, which are overkill for this application. What you need is a rollable table, directions here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Card_Decks_and_Rollable_Ta" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Card_Decks_and_Rollable_Ta</a>... Then make a macro with the contents of: /desc The weather today is [[1t[Weather] ]] Press the macro button and you'll get results as displayed in The Aaron's post.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The difficulty you may run into is if you want the later rolls to be dependent on the preceding ones. For example, if you want to be able to first determine if it's warm or cold, then determine if it's cold and snowy or cold and rainy, then determine if it's cold and rainy with much accumulation or cold and rainy with little accumulation, etc. You couldn't do those all with multiple rollable tables, what you'd have to do is have multiple descriptions and set your chances appropriately. So, if you wanted it to be rainy 30% of the time, partly clouding 40% of the time, and clear 30% of the time, you'd break it up like this: 30 Clear 40 Partly Cloudy 10 Rainy 10 Rainy with a heavy wind 10 Rainy with a heavy wind and much accumulation So, all the rainy's together make up 30%. You could further adjust their percentages if you wanted just Rainy for half the "Rainy" results, and accumulation for a sixth of the time, you might use: 30 Clear 40 Partly Cloudy 15 Rainy 10 Rainy with a heavy wind 5 Rainy with a heavy wind and much accumulation Hope that helps!
I managed to create it.. Although I had some issues. Firstly, performing it through a macro is indeed good, although doing it straight from the rollable table adds that picture which when hovered over a lot of information can be given (Which I prefer). But I thank you guys with the help you provided, I didn't quite understand the table until a bit further in with the information given, still wish the extra text on the result would begone when rolling from the table :)

Edited 1430060244
Rather than a complex program to determine weather I just use a few years old weather report for a similar climactic region on earth.I just download the weather data for the concurrent month from a random year and just say in the chat "Overcast, 50­°, chance of rain later" I have a small note with the monthly weather data, the players have little chance of knowing the details, and the weather is consistent. You never end up with "It had been snowing in Santa Barbara since the top of the page and I had to drag my mukluks through the cornstarch to reach the heavy obsidian door knocker"* * Firesign Theater "The Further Adventures of Nick Danger, Third Eye"
The element of surprise is just not for the players, I too like the randomness. Although I like your idea of how you did it, I myself use IRL stuff more often than I think myself. Anyway, the thing I managed to pull off with the rollable table, pictures and extra details (such as environmental penalties) is decent. Here's just hoping for Roll20 updates to make it look flawless. I trust in this community, and I see a grand future for Roll20 :) (Here's me praising, ohboy)
What does the final result look like Malle? I'm curious as some sort of weather/time tracker API would be something right up my alley: 1. Type !nextday 2. "it is X of Y, holiday of X, Y, Z is today, the weather is A and temperature B. The moon is a C. Because temperature is below B con saving throw or exhaustion Where the weather is based from yesterday's weather (with obviously a chance of drastic changes) and the possible weather during each month. I tried searching for some external app like that but most of the time I've had to resort to the same idea al e. has, looking something on wunderground from X years ago and just running with that.

Edited 1430245560
I realize this is for a macro, but seeing as how it is in the API forum, I would be remise if I didn't point out also there is an API script out there that does weather and chances days as well based upon a calendar. It's actually quite useful, and fully editable to change the predominant weather based upon location. It works well: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/905530/#post-905530" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/905530/#post-905530</a>