Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to make monsters emote

Heya, I'm looking to make monsters emote. For example, in the 4e power macros you have lines like: "/me uses @{power-name}" to automatically call out player ability use. Is there a way I could set up for all the monsters of my campaign to have it say, for example: "Bloodstone Harpy uses @{power-name}!" instead? I'd like it to be emote text (because it stands out from my own chat).
use /emas it works if you are the GM.
Yah, that should do it. I was hoping there was a way that could automatically detect the name field in the character sheet (actually, there probably is, I just need to find the variable name). This should get me where I need to go, thanks Ed.

Edited 1430010501
Spren
Sheet Author
If you use @{selected|token_name} it'll use whatever the name is of the token that is selected. So "/emas @{selected|token_name} uses @{selected|power-name}"
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
@{character_name} or @(token_name} should work for automatically bringing in the name. If you name your token differently than the character sheet, you might want to use that instead of the character name for the monsters. (though you might have to have the token selected to use the @{token_name} :) I do but then I set up everything I can as token actions to keep my main macro bar less cluttered.
Gold
Forum Champion
How to make monsters emote? I was going to say "tickle them". Here is a link to the Wiki Docs that should support some of the excellent tips others have posted, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Using_a_Selected_To" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Using_a_Selected_To</a>...
try this: /emas @{selected|token_name} speaks: ?{"what?"|eh?} you can also do languages by making a sheet for them and giving control to charcters that speak the language: /w dwarf ?{say something|Freakin' Elves!} /em @{selected|token_name} is making grunting noises.
Thanks for all the tips everyone, much appreciated!
is there a way to create your own /command to do /as @{selected|token_name} ? so instead of typing all that -- i make a /t which maps to /as @{selected|token_name} --- so i can just do a /t hi there!
Spren
Sheet Author
@Michael M. If you make a global macro using the gear icon at the top right of the roll20 screen, you can call the macro using the # sign. So make a macro, name it "t", then in the chat you can type "#t" to use it.