Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Exact distances on a hex map

Hi all! I'm working on a hexcrawl, and I wanted a way to keep track of the party's exact distance traveled rather than just a flat "you travel 2 hexes per day," or whatever. I've imported the hexmap (which the players will not see, it's for my reference), and I've got an arrow token to note their location. I aligned the map with a hex grid, set the scale to 6 miles/hex, then turned off the grid, so the token wouldn't lock to the center of the hex, but when I move the arrow from one hex to another and hit the space bar, the system just seems to track movement in full hex numbers. I've tried all the different diagonals options and with the grid enabled and disabled, but the result is the same. Any suggestions?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hexes don't do it like squares do. :( If you're turning off the grid then use squares and massage the numbers until it's correct.
Gold
Forum Champion
Another approach is leave the Hex grid ON, and just hold the ALT or OPTION key while moving tokens (to make them Not Snap to grid).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
On a Hex map, holding alt will let you place a token wherever you like, but the measure will still snap to the hex centers.
The Aaron is right. However, I took Mark's suggestion, and adjusted the hex map to fit the size of the squares - it's not perfect, but it will work for my purposes. Thanks Mark!