Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5/2/15] [1:30 PM/5 PM PST] Want to learn how to DM? Sharpen up your existing skills?

Edited 1430630060
Thanks for joining in guys! We had a ton of fun, and I'd love to run this again sometime! UPDATE: We still have open slots! Post here to reserve yours! Hiya everyone, Toothless here! Ya might recognize me from all the ridiculous one-shots I run weekly-ish, and I'm back offering another session to ya guys! This time though, I want to try out something different.... I want to run a DM-training session this weekend, to give anyone willing to learn the tools necessary to run an awesome tabletop game. Now, ya don't need to be an amazing writer or frequent roleplayer or even an experienced player. All ya need is the desire to become one, and you'll get the hang of it! I just want to speed along that process, and hopefully help ya avoid some awkward mistakes that I had to learn the hard way. Now, I'm by no means an expert at DMing; I've only been at 5E for 7 months. But, I've still learned a lot along the way, and I want to pass it on down to you guys! The highlight of the entire 2-hour session is improv with a slight focus to one-shots, but we'll also go over the following: Plot Introduction of the Characters Descriptions and Settings NPCs Roll20 GM Basics General Q and A If you're a veteran DM or just sharpening up your skills, I still highly suggest hopping in! A refresher course is good for anyone, and seeing other GMs play and work is an awesome learning experience in itself. If not either of those, the extra experience on-board will still be awesome. I could use a co-GM to help me run this. ^.^ If you're interested, or have any suggestions for me, post here! I'm just doing an interest check at the moment, but I'll be up to running 1-2 of these over the weekend if ya guys like it! Thanks! --------------------------- Alrighty, we're going through with it. ^.^ Session 1: Improv-ing First Game Date: 5/2/15 Time: 1:30 PM PST - 3:30 PM PST, up to 4:00/4:30 PM PST for Q&A Players (5/6): Val, Johnathan B., Avarita, Grant, Kaizer (for half), Michael S., Waiting List: Bryce M. Session 2: Improv-ing Your First Game Date: 5/2/15 Time: 5:00 PM PST - 7:00 PM PST, up to 8:30/9:00 PM PST for Q&A Players (5/6): Charles S., Pat S., Michael B., The Ghost, Mac'Greine Waiting List: Priority List: James K. Terry M. Saitama Thuzle Hey everyone! In this thread, I'll be posting up new session updates to send ya guys notifications when I run more sessions. The first one will be "The First Game" , to give a completely unprepared GM the tools necessary to improv your way out and to give your campaign (or one-shot) an epic start. If you want to run one-shots, this is the session for you! Also, if you posted before and said ya wanted to join, post up again please confirming the session/time. Since ya already posted before, ya have priority enrollment. Please note that this training will be UNIVERSAL to ALL tabletop systems and RPGs, so it can apply anywhere ya need! We will be using 5th Edition as an example in this particular session, but this doesn't make the training any less valuable. One last thing: Even if ya don't manage to get in, I'll still allow spectating and might even stream it over Twitch. You just won't be able to participate, which, isn't the worst thing in the world.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm interested but it depends on the time.
Pat S. said: I'm interested but it depends on the time. I have a LOT of time available over the weekends, hopefully time won't be a problem. xP Anytime between 1:30 PM PST - 10:00 PM PST on Saturday or up to 8:00 PM on Sunday. Depending on the reception, I may run it earlier or later.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm central timezone and work 3rd shift. Let me think about it.
Not a bad idea, this DM introduction, I may have to run one of these myself, I've only got 40 years of DMing though :)...
Pat S. said: I'm central timezone and work 3rd shift. Let me think about it. No problem, thanks for the interest! ^.^ Ajax said: Not a bad idea, this DM introduction, I may have to run one of these myself, I've only got 40 years of DMing though :)... XD That would be absolutely amazing, if we can spur enough reception for it. We could use more GMs on Roll20, definitely. The alternate idea would be running a Popcorn one-shot, where GM control switches between the entire party giving them improv experience on the fly. Ya think you could help me out a bit with this? Perhaps offer a few words of advice or suggestions through a PM or maybe even showing up for a bit? I mean, I've only been at it for 7 months. xP
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I would love to be in this (I've been GM for about 25 yrs) but it is just the fact that the times are rough for me due to the time difference.
Pat S. said: I would love to be in this (I've been GM for about 25 yrs) but it is just the fact that the times are rough for me due to the time difference. Really? Holy crap xD I feel totally outclassed now. What time do ya think you would be around? Just give me a range and a day, and I'll see if I can work with it. If not, it's totally cool, maybe next time.

Edited 1430373568
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
this coming weekend would be rough due to various projects I have going on. Normal times on saturday would be around 7pm (central) starting which would put it 3 or 4pm your time. Sundays would be about the same. It is mostly just this weekend, I have extra projects lined up (doing computer work for a company so I can score a cheap desktop from them).
Give me a time line, I am in the CDT time zone but run a lot of games, but since I refuse to watch television or play video games I have more time than most folks, lol... -Ajax
I would love to join! Ran my first session as a DM yesterday and realized I need some "training" for all the unexpected player actions (which happen all the time, haha).
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There is an old saying Val. No plan survives unchanged when it comes in contact with the players.
They should've stated that in the pre-made adventure ;)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I think Gary Gygax did back when he was running TSR and publishing the first editions of AD&D.
Well this does surely sound interesting. I would like to hop on this train and get involved. Been GMing for while now, but I am always open for new experience.
I would love to sit in and listen and pick up some notes!
this really sounds interesting,i'm in
Count me in depending on times
I am KIND of interested. I am an old time RPGer and GM, but new to using Roll 20. I would be MORE interested in a 2 hour session that covers tricks and tips for using Hangouts and Roll 20 with lots of time for Q&A.
Pat S. said: this coming weekend would be rough due to various projects I have going on. Normal times on saturday would be around 7pm (central) starting which would put it 3 or 4pm your time. Sundays would be about the same. It is mostly just this weekend, I have extra projects lined up (doing computer work for a company so I can score a cheap desktop from them). Ooh okay then, no problem. Finish up your projects first by all means; I'll most likely run more of these next week sometime, as well as throughout the summer. xP Ajax said: Give me a time line, I am in the CDT time zone but run a lot of games, but since I refuse to watch television or play video games I have more time than most folks, lol... -Ajax Thanks Ajax, ya always got my back covered. xD Val said: I would love to join! Ran my first session as a DM yesterday and realized I need some "training" for all the unexpected player actions (which happen all the time, haha). Awesome! ^.^ We'll definitely go over improv and strengthen that up if this happens, don't worry. Avarita said: Well this does surely sound interesting. I would like to hop on this train and get involved. Been GMing for while now, but I am always open for new experience. Sweet, sounds good man. ^.^ Thanks for the interest! James K. said: I would love to sit in and listen and pick up some notes! Awesome! We'll probably be using Roll20 along with Google Hangouts for the screen sharing, so ya could definitely hop in! Not the Roll20 app, just the voice and video share. Terry M. said: this really sounds interesting,i'm in Great, we'll arrange a time and a day soon! I'll add ya guys and make a post in the campaign soon. Mac'Greine said: Count me in depending on times Sure! We'll arrange a time in the campaign thread in a bit. I have complete flexibility so I won't be too bad an issue. xP Michael B. said: I am KIND of interested. I am an old time RPGer and GM, but new to using Roll 20. I would be MORE interested in a 2 hour session that covers tricks and tips for using Hangouts and Roll 20 with lots of time for Q&A. Sure! We may split it up then, an hour in improv, hour and a half in Roll20, and an hour for Q&A, that totally works. Depending on what everyone else would like, we could modify those times slightly. ^.^ Thanks for all the response guys!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Almost all my games are improv now. I don't use maps much or at all anymore. I might be able to do this saturday around 8pm (5 or so your time if I got the time zones right) but will know better tomorrow.

Edited 1430421654
Pat S. said: Almost all my games are improv now. I don't use maps much or at all anymore. I might be able to do this saturday around 8pm (5 or so your time if I got the time zones right) but will know better tomorrow. Niiiiice. xD All my one-shots are semi-improv, I go in with an idea in-mind and a hook before starting up without maps either. Except, I've been getting a lot of not quite complaints, but requests that maps would be a lot easier, for those tacticians and organization and all that, so I'm starting to make them now. As for the time, sure! I'll see if I can go for that, perhaps a 2 hour session from 8pm (your time) to 10 before an hour break for my dinner. Then, we could do an optional Q and A session for however much longer after that, 11pm - 12pm. I'd still highly suggest players to stick around after the break, but it wouldn't be necessary. Also... did ya just get promoted to the Mod Team just now? o.o
Spren
Sheet Author
Depending on time I'll give it a go too.
Saitama said: Depending on time I'll give it a go too. Wow, alright, awesome. ^.^ I may run two sessions of this on Saturday then, and drop down my standard one-shots to only one on Sunday. I'll post up general times in the link I'll shoot out, and modify it based on that. Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I run rules lite ogl systems so I don't have to deal with tacticians and such. I'm firmly entrenched in the theater of the mind style of play along with the "Yes but, Yes and, etc... type of play also. In my current play by post game, I'm encouraging my players to fill out and control the scenes after I describe the basics of it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Benson Y. said: Also... did ya just get promoted to the Mod Team just now? o.o Sorry, I usually hid my mod label when posting as a member. I've been a mod for almost a year.
PMs sent out! If you can't join, refresh and check My Campaigns, see if it's there. If not, reply back with your email and I'll add ya manually!
This weekend is probably not a good time for me, but if there's a list for future events like this please put me down. Thanks!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I already walked in on you in the room and scared you away. :P
I am interested in joining your roll20 DM workshop.

Edited 1430439109
StormLord said: This weekend is probably not a good time for me, but if there's a list for future events like this please put me down. Thanks! Sent ya a link! Just join that, and you'll be added to the mailing list whenever I start up this again, probably the following weekend or the one after that. Pat S. said: I already walked in on you in the room and scared you away. :P XD Oh sorry, I was at school, just poking my head in the room real quick before leaving. Michael S. said: I am interested in joining your roll20 DM workshop. Sent ya a link! I kinda like the sound of that, DM workshop. xP I might use it sometime, maybe. ATTENTION ALL INTERESTED: I updated the front-page post to reflect the sessions I'll be running on Saturday! If you're interested, post back here confirming your time! You'll still have priority enrollment if ya posted before everyone else.
I'm here and ready to go. You pick the time and I'll try to work around it.

Edited 1430441015
Charles S. said: I'm here and ready to go. You pick the time and I'll try to work around it. Sessions and times are listed above; which one do ya want to join? xP It's your choice.
Right now I should be able to make session 2
Michael B. said: Right now I should be able to make session 2 Sweet, added! I tagged ya first on the waiting list because a lot of people came ahead of ya; just giving them a chance to pick their spot if they want it. xP
Session 2 for me please!
Charles S. said: Session 2 for me please! Added!
I can make it to session 1 for sure!
Val said: I can make it to session 1 for sure! Yup, added to Session 1!
I'll sign up for session 1, and would like to be wait-listed for session 2 in case I can't make session 1. Saturday is Free Comic Book Day, and I also have a session in my main campaign, so I'm gonna be busy as fuck. But I think 1:30 PST is 4:30 EST, so if I'm doing the math right, I *should* be able to make session 1, albeit maybe a few minutes late.

Edited 1430444550
Johnathan B. said: I'll sign up for session 1, and would like to be wait-listed for session 2 in case I can't make session 1. Saturday is Free Comic Book Day, and I also have a session in my main campaign, so I'm gonna be busy as fuck. But I think 1:30 PST is 4:30 EST, so if I'm doing the math right, I *should* be able to make session 1, albeit maybe a few minutes late. Added and added! I'll make sure to save ya a spot in Session 2 in-case ya don't make it to 1. ^.^ Just let me know ahead of time so I can replace ya in 1 if need be, half an hour or more would be awesome.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I can be there for the 2nd session for sure but the first is mostly iffy for it depends on if I got my projects done.
Pat S. said: I can be there for the 2nd session for sure but the first is mostly iffy for it depends on if I got my projects done. Sweet, added to 2nd!
I had considered running some "Intro to DMing" sessions a while ago, but I had other things come up and they never got off the ground. If people are interested, I'm happy to volunteer some time on a Mon/Tues/Wed evening to mentor some newbies in the craft. So if you have too many for the weekend thing, let me know and I may be able to host.

Edited 1430457528
I am also interested in joining. I have been DMing for around 7 months and would like to improve my DMing skills. I can also participate in the second session on saturday as well if there is still room. Is the session pretty much discussing about said topic or an actual session demonstrating what the topic is for that session?

Edited 1430458134
Askren said: I had considered running some "Intro to DMing" sessions a while ago, but I had other things come up and they never got off the ground. If people are interested, I'm happy to volunteer some time on a Mon/Tues/Wed evening to mentor some newbies in the craft. So if you have too many for the weekend thing, let me know and I may be able to host. That would be pretty cool, I'll probably end up with a big excess that I can send off your way. xD We will have spectating though through Roll20 and possibly Twitch, but yeah, I'd totally love another player training up more DMs! We could use as much help as we can get; the player-to-GM ratio is still WAY off. xP Also, I bet the Mentor status would help out tons, as ya could teach other mentors/supporters how to use all your cool features. #notjelly Bryce M. said: I am also interested in joining. I have been DMing for around 7 months and would like to improve my DMing skills. Awesome! Ya started up around the same time I did, that's pretty cool. xD Which session? I'll tag ya on the waiting list for either/or.

Edited 1430457674
I can also participate in the second session on saturday as well if there is still room. Can i be put on the waiting list for the first session as well? Because I am not sure if I will be able to make it until that day. Is the session pretty much discussing about said topic or an actual session demonstrating what the topic is for that session?
Bryce M. said: I can also participate in the second session on saturday as well if there is still room. Can i be put on the waiting list for the first session as well? Because I am not sure if I will be able to make it until that day. Is the session pretty much discussing about said topic or an actual session demonstrating what the topic is for that session? Added and added! It's going to be a bit of both; I don't want to make it feel dull and boring like a lecture from a college student. If I could describe what I have in mind though, I'd say this. The first hour, the participants are going to roleplay as GMs, and they'd have to improv a plot and continually expand and build upon that plot, with me assisting along the way. The second hour, we're going to go over Roll20 and how to use it, including journals/character sheets, tokens, advanced keyboard shortcuts, macros, and other cool tips and tricks and features of it. I wish I was a mentor or a supporter so we could learn how to play with Line-of-sight and dynamic lighting as well. But then I'd have to learn Line-of-sight and dynamic lighting first. XD

Edited 1430458748
haha alright sounds awesome! I'm inexperienced when it comes to GMing but I'll try not to drag you guys down!

Edited 1430458734
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Benson, for those Features I can toss a room up and bump you up to Co-GM status. This will allow you to showcase various features. We can pm talk about it.
Bryce M. said: haha alright sounds awesome! I'm inexperienced when it comes to GMing but I'll try not to drag you guys down! Oh heck no. This session is FOR you guys, I'll try not to screw up your learning, more like. XD Pat S. said: Benson, for those Features I can toss a room up and bump you up to Co-GM status. This will allow you to showcase various features. We can pm talk about it. Sweet, that'll be pretty cool actually! Sneak in a little mini-advertisement for Roll20 so more people would buy subscriptions, that's awesome. XD Maybe even show off some of the auto-map builders if ya have those. If ya could make a campaign and shoot me the join link, I'll hop right in. Think ya could teach me a bit Friday night or Saturday morning? Or I'll just play around with it, np with that either.