Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Custom Maps?

So I had a few questions about map making/marketplace that pat told me to direct here. I've been custom making maps section by section for most of my roll20 games, and for some other people as well. The maps are mostly made by overlapping 3x3 or larger sections from the art library search tool. Here are a few examples: Now my 1st question is could I make these maps and then with a little bit of work (and learning) upload them onto the marketplace? My 2nd question is could I offer my services here on roll20 as a "map maker" to help people setup dungeons, maps, ect... and either charge a small fee, or accept a donation they are willing to offer? Along with that I have used inkarnate map ( <a href="http://inkarnate.com/" rel="nofollow">http://inkarnate.com/</a> ) to help me map world maps for my game. Here is an example of our dawn of worlds map we created: And then me re-creating it in inkarnate My 3rd question is could I use this as part of my 1st or 2nd question services? I don't wanna do anything I'm not suppose to, but would love to be able provide these services in any way I can.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
You can only sell items that you have the written permission of the artist to distribute or items you have drawn entirely yourself.
GenKitty said: You can only sell items that you have the written permission of the artist to distribute or items you have drawn entirely yourself. I'm guessing that's in response to question 1? If so, I would have to get permission from each artist for each section I use on the map unless it was 100% created by me to be able to upload it to the marketplace? What about parts created with the drawing tool?
Meldebious(Casey) said: GenKitty said: You can only sell items that you have the written permission of the artist to distribute or items you have drawn entirely yourself. I'm guessing that's in response to question 1? If so, I would have to get permission from each artist for each section I use on the map unless it was 100% created by me to be able to upload it to the marketplace? What about parts created with the drawing tool? when in doubt... yes, make it from scratch.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
When in doubt, email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> :&gt;
GenKitty said: When in doubt, email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> :&gt; I had asked one of the moderaters about it, and he said to post it on here first.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Piecemeal Maps - if you make a map using parts of various things, such as a tile here, or an object there, you have to get permission from each of the original artists that created the pieces. Otherwise it falls under 'copyright infringement'.
Okay, what about question 2 & 3?
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
That would also cover any maps created via Inkarnate, you have to have their express written permission to sell maps created using their assets/program. As for selling your services using the free resources provided by Roll20, that's something you'd have to ask the developers about. However, I doubt it would sell very well. The reasons are many, including the perception that a DM/GM could do it themselves for free, you would be competing with more visually appealing maps on the Marketplace, and you would need to create a considerable number of maps to make a pack competitively priced. As a content creator on the marketplace ( <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/simon/1" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/search/simon/1</a> ), my recommendation is to learn how to create maps using a digital painting program (I use a combination of Inkscape and Gimp). Most of the maps and resources I have on the Marketplace took less than an hour each to create.
Meldebious(Casey) said: 1st question is could I make these maps and then with a little bit of work (and learning) upload them onto the marketplace? 2nd question is could I offer my services here on roll20 as a "map maker" to help people setup dungeons, maps, ect... and either charge a small fee, or accept a donation they are willing to offer? My 3rd question is could I use this as part of my 1st or 2nd question services? This thread is off-topic for this forum, so it has been closed but I will gladly answer your questions first. Please take a look at our Becoming a Creator page to learn how to apply to become a creator. We have many map makers on our marketplace, but we require our creators to offer wholly original content. We do not allow individuals to offer their services outside of our marketplace, so we cannot allow you to offer your self as a map maker for hire. As for inkarnate, you cannot use tools for profit without a commercial license. If that is something you have acquired through this company, then you will want to disclose this information to us over email if you determine that you would like to apply to be a creator.