Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Archiving Pages effect on performance

Will performance of the game be improved by archiving pages that aren't going to be used for a while or that aren't needed at the current time? Right now I have for example a player lounge (landing page), Wilderness map, a wilderness encounter map, 9 dungeon maps. Since they're exploring one level of the map that's split up into 4 pages, I don't need the other 5 dungeon maps for a little while or even the wilderness maps. My gut instinct is that pages that aren't being actively used shouldn't affect the performance of the one map that is being used but I don't know the inner workings of the environment so . . . The reason I ask is that while none of my current players have had any problems with lag (for the most part), we're likely going to be adding a player back into the game that we've played with in the past and he had big problems with the campaign (different one) at that time because his internet wasn't very good. Now, although he has better internet now, I'm just trying to be proactive and anticipate. I know in the past it was difficult to render a map with a lot of small tiles on it but I seem to remember that server upgrades had made that less of an issue. This current campaign I don't have a lot of that going on since i'm making my maps mostly externally and importing the backgrounds in that way although I do most of the "Dungeon Dressing" within roll20 with objects.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
A few months ago the answer would have been yes but there has been an update that involved a rewrite of the roll20 code that improved how roll20 handled images. It is still recommended to archive pages you don't need immediate or soon to be used just for ease of moving player ribbon and such.
Yup, I agree with Pat here. Even if it doesn't affect performance, it's still useful to put away those pesky maps you don't need. It's like baths; they don't DIRECTLY affect your performance in any way, but really, it's a lot easier on everyone in the end. xP
Ok thanks folks, so more or less a best practices type thing here. What about characters (Monsters predominately)?
Perry T. said: Ok thanks folks, so more or less a best practices type thing here. What about characters (Monsters predominately)? Same as above; for organization more than performance. If you really want to optimize performance, I may use smaller-sized images/maps and avoid using in-game Video/Voice. There's a post about this on the wikia here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performance" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performance</a>
I think you will find that in game voice is much improved from what it was and if players are using Skype it uses a lot of processing power, we recently changed to Tokbox, and everyone saw an improvement. A year and a half ago it was bad, but several updates have made it a better option especially for less powerful PCs and less robust internet connections, I have players on three continents and they are happy with the in game audio. I don't use the video, so I can't comment on that, seeing my face would make the monsters less frightening...