Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Two-Axis Tables

In a game I want to try to play (Mythic, if anyone is familiar), there is a table. The table has two axes. One is essentially "probability" and the other is a "chaos rank" that determines how wildly the probability swings. If you cross-reference them, you get a Target Number for a d100 roll. Is there a way to set up a table or a macro where I can select the two axes and have it roll a d100 and then interpret the result as per the chart's TN? I can just upload the chart as a handout, but I like automation where I can get it.
Couldn't you populate a standard rollable table with the 100 possible results? Two d10s and a single d100 have the same probability.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
It's been a long time since I've looked at Mythic and can't really remember how it works, but I'm thinking you'll likely need the API for the Fate Chart. You could maybe have multiple rollable tables, but even then, I'm not sure that would work so well, because of the "Exceptional" Yes/No possibilities.
Mark G. said: Couldn't you populate a standard rollable table with the 100 possible results? Two d10s and a single d100 have the same probability. I should probably try to clarify with an example. If you have "Chaos rank" at 5 on this chart, and you look at the "Likely" result, you get a Target Number of 75 or lower. Going to CR 4 would give you TN 55 instead. Basically I'd like to have it roll the d100, ask me the CR and probability, then interpret the result. G V. said: It's been a long time since I've looked at Mythic and can't really remember how it works, but I'm thinking you'll likely need the API for the Fate Chart. You could maybe have multiple rollable tables, but even then, I'm not sure that would work so well, because of the "Exceptional" Yes/No possibilities. API is mentor-only, right? It's looking like it won't be possible otherwise, yeah. I'll just put the chart in handouts. Thank you both.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Yeah, API is Mentor only. I'll keep thinking about this and see if I can come up with something else, but...not holding my breath.

Edited 1431099320
I should probably try to clarify with an example. If you have "Chaos rank" at 5 on this chart, and you look at the "Likely" result, you get a Target Number of 75 or lower. Going to CR 4 would give you TN 55 instead. Basically I'd like to have it roll the d100, ask me the CR and probability, then interpret the result. Hrm, well, if take a d100 roll and think of the 10s position as the first axis, and the 1s position as the other axis, you'd still have the equivalent of a grid in a one dimensional array. Example table: Table Value ♦ Equivalent 2d10 of Probability / Chaos 1 ♦ 0, 1 2 ♦ 0 , 2 ~~~~~~~~ (skipping a few for brevity sake) 24 ♦ 2, 4 25 ♦ 2, 5 ~~~~~~~~ (skipping a few for brevity sake) 98 ♦ 9, 8 100 ♦ 0, 0 The table data for each value would be set by you to the appropriate Target Number for that result. If Chaos and Probability are Random: Macro wise, this could then be represented as [[ ( 1d100 - 1t[MythicFate] )>0 ]] , which is to say, roll a 1d100, subtract the result of your chaos/probability random roll from it, and declare success if the 1d100 is greater than or equal to zero. If chaos and probability aren't random, using a table gets tedious, but only has to be setup once. You can set your table up with tokens (which can be very simple images for MSPaint or something that illustrate the result) You would then place the table token on the tabletop by rolling "Token" once and give players Control of it. To "lookup" the target number, they would then Right-Click the table token and select "Multi-Sided" and "Choose Side". The token will then change appearance to the target number image. Your macro would then look like [[ ( 1d100 - ?{What is the Target Number?|0} )>0 ]] which asks the player to type in the Target Number from the table image, subtracts if from a 1d100, and returns Success if its greater than zero. *** Depending on whether or not you're dealing with the Exceptional Yes, or Exceptional No, you may want to take out the >0 aspect and just have the result displayed in chat so you can see the actual roll easier.