Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whisper to characters while out of game?

If I post a whisper to a character while they are not actually in the game, will they see it when they log in? I'm trying to give rumors to players when they are out of the game that they can then join the game later and retrieve, but one of my players says he doesn't see them. Any ideas? EDIT: I mean to say, "Whisper to players"

Edited 1431102696
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
No, they will not receive it. I thought it might show in the chat log, but that is not the case. Some other options: Make a handout that is shared only with each player, write rumors into it, possibly with a date or location. Get some friendly API coder to write you a system that would delay sending a message to a player/character until the next time they log in. Make a suggestion in the Suggestions and Idea's forum to change the behavior. Edit: Whispering directly to the player instead of the character will get written to the player's chat log and in the chat log in game.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Create a set of '$Character's Rumors' handouts, one for each character (or one for the whole group) and make it part of standard operating procedure to check their rumors file upon login?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
(hehehehe)
Hm...who would be friendly enough to do that? :) I've got a rumor table with a bunch of entries on it, and it's constantly changing, but I made the table so that I wouldn't have to type it every time. The script would be a nice option - would it be a variation of the Message of the Day script? I couldn't get that one to work right - it kept giving me multiple messages. Going now to make a suggestion....
Just saw your edit - does that mean if I send to the player, they will see it?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That means they have the chance to see it. It could still get pushed off the in game chat log, but they would be able to go look at the chat log in campaign details.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
BTW, your suggestion says Whisper to Players, which already works. Whisper to Characters is what's broken. If you want to edit it and put TITLE: <something else> in the first line, I'll change the title to the <something else> part for you. =D
Now when you say "Whisper to Players," how would I formulate that in a macro? For example, my macro now reads something like /w <Character Name> Rumor has it...[[1t[Rumors]]] What would I put in their for the Player name? Is it how they identify themselves in the game, or the Player name on their profile (like for me, it would be Gozer the Gozerian). Also, it seems that if there is a space in what comes immediately after the /w command, whatever comes after the space gets repeated in the whisper. And yes, can you change it to Whisper to Characters? :)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
'Player name' is the Display name at the bottom of the screen, when they are logged in. I generally advise people to NOT have it be exactly the same as their character name, because if Player A whispers player B via character name, the GM sees the whisper too.

Edited 1431111897
Gold
Forum Champion
The Aaron said: BTW, your suggestion says Whisper to Players, which already works. Whisper to Characters is what's broken. Say what. Never heard of that limitation before. Why is it broken? Wouldn't that be a Bug, if it's truly broken? Wiki needs Documentation on this if it's an intended feature for some reason (?). There is no warning that I've seen, to tell you that a Character Whisper would disappear. One would naturally assume that if you write a whisper in the chat, the whisper will be there (or at least in chat log) next time that player logs in. Persistent whispers are essential for asynchronous gameplay. It could be harmful to some games if chat whispers are disappearing without a warning. Note, Here is the Suggestion thread Gozer made for this, additional discussion as I didn't know about this limitation when I first responded, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1928802/whisper-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1928802/whisper-</a>...
By the way, I changed my macro to whisper the rumors to the players, and it worked. Is there a function for something like @{selected|player_name} instead of @{selected|token_name} or @{selected|character_name}? Just curious.
Is there a plan to fix this, because if it doesn't get fixed I cannot run my game here on roll20 (as whispering to characters is the only way the GM has to see what is going on in certain circumstances and I run play by post...).
Although there is not a fix for the whisper to characters, the whisper does stay in the chat if you whisper to the *player*. You have to use the name that they log in as in your game.
Gold
Forum Champion
Gozer the Gozerian said: Although there is not a fix for the whisper to characters, the whisper does stay in the chat if you whisper to the *player*. You have to use the name that they log in as in your game. Good to know. So you're saying whisper to their Display Name . What's funny for me is, I already had all the Players make their Display Name matching with their Character/Token name. Like it would say "Bilbo(Gold)" for their Display Name and their Character Name. So now it would be difficult to tell which one I'm whispering to anyway. Thought they all went to the same person.
Yes, I tested this with my players, and they said the did see my post in the chat when I used their display name, but not when I used their character name.