Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

d&d5e spells

i'm just starting out running a 5e game based on the horde of the dragon queen, and i was wondering if it is possible to have one character, lets call her spell list, where i list all the npcs (and for that matter pc) spells and reference them from the actual n/pc characters, so that all my pc's and npcs use a consistent set of spells. I am using the shaped 5e character sheet, btw, so i would want to use the functionality from that, because the spells look amazing in template output form.
It depends on what you mean by referencing. You can certainly create the sheet and list all the spells, and even roll them from that sheet if they come up (adjusting casting stats as necessary). For an actual connection between them I can't think of anything particularly direct (ala the proposed compendium ). When you do roll to cast a spell you can press 'up' in the chat box to get the macro that was used to roll it. You could copy and paste that into the sheet's macro section to construct a spellbook, as opposed to creating individual entries for each character in their own spellbook. You'd have to set up sheets for each possible spellcasting modifier or change them for each caster (easier than it might seem, as you can duplicate the completed sheet once you've got it set up, then change the variable. Messy though) I don't know if that would save time at that point though.
Dalton H. said: i'm just starting out running a 5e game based on the horde of the dragon queen, and i was wondering if it is possible to have one character, lets call her spell list, where i list all the npcs (and for that matter pc) spells and reference them from the actual n/pc characters, so that all my pc's and npcs use a consistent set of spells. I am using the shaped 5e character sheet, btw, so i would want to use the functionality from that, because the spells look amazing in template output form. You may keep a separate character sheet that contains all the spells as Abilities but not as a character sheet. Repeating fields have some nature that prevent them from being referenced as a macro. %{1st-Wizard Spell Book|Magic-Missile} For example would refer to that character sheet and cast magic missile from it. Though you need to make sure that the macros contain the @{Selected| for this to work.
is there any way to reference a character sheet without selecting it? though it looks like the compendium will do what i want it to, when it is ready for the private compendiums feature
I have separate spell code sheets set up in my campaign for each spell class. I use the trick that The Mystic mentioned above by filling in the spell info on a sheet and casting it from the page, then hitting the up arrow in chat. I then copy that code and past it back in to the "effects" section of the spell and reference it with a call to that field. Then I call it later from a macro with @{Spell-Wizard|repeating_spellbookLEVEL2_1_spelleffect} Spell-Wizard is the name of the character sheet with all the spell codes. Just be sure to change any reference in the code from "Spell-Wizard" to "selected" then you can use that spell call universally for anyone. I hope that helps
It does! Thanks!