Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Known Issue: Shockwave Crashing TokBox in Chrome (Workaround Within)

Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi guys! Currently there is a compatibility issue with the latest version of Chrome (vers. 21) and TokBox. Chrome 21 introduced a new Flash plugin called "Pepper Flash". Tokbox and the new plugin are at odds with each other. This is causing a Shockwave crash when you click the "Allow" button for video/audio permissions. While Tokbox is currently working with Google to figure out what is causing the issues, they did post a temporary workaround so you can run Roll20 without issues: 1. Open Chrome and type chrome://plugins in the address bar. 2. Click "Details" in the top right-hand corner of the page. 3. Under "Flash", click the "disable" link that points to "pepflashplayer.dll". 4. Restart Chrome. You can see the forum discussion regarding this here .
I have done this. It no longer crashes, but my icon keep growing and shirking and doesn't broad cast. I can hear and see people fine. But I'm not sending anything out.
There's also the case where there are 3 or MORE versions of Flash. In those cases, disabling all but one (which one it seems has been roulette for me) will get you going again.
Yes, I had three versions of Flash so had to disable two (again at random). It's not everyone's ideal or preference I know but, just to reiterate, since I started launching my Roll20 sessions through a Google hangout all of these audio/video problems and browser incompatibilities have just gone away. It is flawless performance every single time - really like being in the same room.
Mr G, to clarify your previous post (having not yet used Roll20 but Chrome being my preferred browser), did you find yourself without these problems due to launching through a Google hangout, or doing the hangout *after* having disable all but one version of Flash?
Gid
Roll20 Team
James, this Flash conflict issue deals with TokBox (what native Roll20 uses to handle video/voice chat). Google hangout's video/voice chat typically plays nice with Chrome's Flash setup even when there's often more then one Flash plugin enabled at once.