Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The One Ring versioning issue

Because repeatable sections turned out to be a horrible idea for me to use on The One Ring char sheet, I've now removed them. The problem is, that if I add this to the official repo, people are going to lose data (weapons data for NPCs specifically). What to do? Make a new version that lives alongside the old one? Any precedents?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
You could leave the repeatable sections in there and use CSS to hide/unhide them. That way people could still access them to move data to the new fields. You could hide them be default so new people using the sheet won't use them, and then after several months, you could remove it (or just leave it there for people who want to use it).
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Heilemann said: Because repeatable sections turned out to be a horrible idea for me to use on The One Ring char sheet, I've now removed them. As I recently made a translation to french of your sheet, may I ask what was horrible about repeaable section that made you remove them ?
Repeatable sections don't store their data like normal fields do, so it's not available as attributes. That can cause issues for scripts. Also, IIRC, I don't think roll buttons can be made to work with repeatable sections.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Actually, roll buttons can be made for repeatable sections. You can even create macros and/or abilities from repeatable sections, though the macros and abilities are a little tricky. In either case, there are nuances that make it more difficult. There is a Suggestion in the forums to make repeating sections fully supported like all the other fields—I'd recommend throwing a vote that way, if you have any to give. :)
Heilemann said: Because repeatable sections turned out to be a horrible idea for me to use on The One Ring char sheet, I've now removed them. The problem is, that if I add this to the official repo, people are going to lose data (weapons data for NPCs specifically). I'd take G V.'s suggestion and add the blank, non-repeating fields, and wait a month. After that, delete the repeating fields, having given lots of time for the users to copy and paste everything over.
G V. said: Actually, roll buttons can be made for repeatable sections. You can even create macros and/or abilities from repeatable sections, though the macros and abilities are a little tricky. In either case, there are nuances that make it more difficult. There is a Suggestion in the forums to make repeating sections fully supported like all the other fields—I'd recommend throwing a vote that way, if you have any to give. :) Already did that 😊 — I brought it up way back when sheets were still in beta, but I don't think it's a priority for the dev team. In the case of the TOR sheet, the repeatable section was a mistake to use for weapons anyway; you'll probably never have more than three.