Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

"Anchor" between forum posts - is it meant to be used this way [and how?]

So just so we are on the same page, when I see Anchor it seems to me I can use this in a Forum setting and create such a thing as a TOC (Table of Contents). If this is true, I have not been able to figure it out and am needing help. So to give an example of how I'm going to be using this, lets start with one Forum Thread being used to track items and the like, spilt by its type (Weapon, Armor, NPCs, Quests, Locations, etc - All in one thread, but contained in different posts). The TOC will link to each post, including itself (To allow for a "Top" and redirect to another location easily. If this is how it is meant to be used (as in Anchor isn't meant to be used to link Character Sheets or other ingame content) then I'm at a loss on how to use it. It further doesn't seem to save the link information and doesn't allow it to be edited at a later stage - what's that about bug? On thinking it might be a bug as well, I did a forum search in Bugs and did find this: Anchor Link Not Saving Any forum solution to do something like this?

Edited 1434576824
Gold
Forum Champion
In the forum, if you want to link to another Post, (one can) copy the URL from where it says "Permalink" on the post. Each Post has it's own URL which is called a Permalink. You can make an index to the permalinks of Posts within the same thread, or within a different thread, no matter. Either way just use the URL from the permalink of the forum post you want to link to. For example the permalink of your post at the start of thread is this . The subsequent link to my reply is this . Where are you seeing "Anchor"? As far as I've noticed, the Forum interface calls it a Link ("Insert Link" button), and does not say Anchor. In the Wiki, that kind of Anchoring is available, if editing the wiki, but you said Forum. In Journals (in the game table) the method for cross-linking to [Another Journal] is different but that doesn't seem to be what you are asking about since you said forums not journals.

Edited 1434576178
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
When one clicks on Link, while writing a forum post, there's options for URL, Email, and Anchor. (Edited to correct typos)
Gold
Forum Champion
Well spotted and described, GenKitty . I didn't know about that spot. I see it now. I do not know if that Insert Link: Anchor tool on forum posts is functional, or if there is a bug. I will research to see how it works, and will find if there is a Wiki documentation page for Forum Post tools. In the meantime, as my earlier post, you can use the full Permalink of each post, and use Insert Link: URL. This will work to accomplish the task of linking to any other forum post.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
A web link is an anchor or <a> tag. I'm going to guess that it's an artifact that hung around from the base set of code the forums were created from. We'll remove it but until then everything you want to do can be done from the URL option.