Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[REQUEST] How hard could this be?...

Ok, so I'm using The Aaron's Mystara calendar script, (using different names for months and days, but still 28-day months), and I'm generating weather using an online weather generator that gives me a text output, and then I just say what the weather is for any given day. What I'd like is to take the text output and somehow have it show up when a new day is displayed in the chat. Maybe to a roll template showing temperature, wind speed, direction, precipitation, etc. I can create a roll template to show these things and manually put them in, but I'd like to have it automated to where I would have perhaps a handout with the weather information for the month on it, and it would just pull from there. Could someone help me cobble something like this together?

Edited 1435393085
How about adding a prompt ?{Weather text} where you dump the weather text you mentioned? EDIT: Guess it's not automated enough - might as well be reading it out then. - hmpf
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hi Gozer, could you not have a series of rollable tables (<-- wiki reference for anyone reading this unfamiliar with the concept of rollable tables) broken down as wind speed, temperature, chance of precipitation etc and then get Aaron's script to output rolls from each of these tables as well as the day and the month? While it would be a bit of leg work to begin with i would say it would be on a par with preparing a handout with a variety of options in it. That being said you might need to break the tables down further by season to prevent unseasonable snow showers in the middle of summer lol. Unless of course you are wanting to use blocks of weather for consistency in which case a handout reference might be best (and I'm sure Aaron will have thoughts on how to accomplish that), my option is purely a workaround in the meantime.
Yes, I'd thought about rollable tables, but it's a little too random, unless I make a lot of tables. I also prefer having the blocks of generated weather for things like druids casting Predict Weather. So I crank out a couple of months at a time through an online generator.
There's actually another little thing that I'd like to include - a query for the type of terrain. The text from the generator looks like this: Day 1 Region; Temp (High/Low); Precip; Special Weather; Winds (Direction/Speed); Humidity/Effective Temp Increase; Wind Chill Desert; 60/40; None; None; prevailing 10; Low (21-40%)(+); Chill: -0 Forest; 10/0; Trace (less than 1/8 inch rain or 1/2 inch snow); None; prevailing 10; Medium (41-70%)(+); Chill: -15 Hills; 35/15; Trace (less than 1/8 inch rain or 1/2 inch snow); None; prevailing 10; Medium (41-70%)(+); Chill: -15 Mountains; 30/15; None; None; prevailing 10; Low (21-40%)(+); Chill: -15 Plains; 25/10; None; None; prevailing 10; Medium (41-70%)(+); Chill: -15 Seacoast; 40/20; Light (up to 1/2 inch rain or 1 inch snow); None; prevailing 10; High (71-90%)(+); Chill: -15 Swamp; 10/0; Trace (less than 1/8 inch rain or 1/2 inch snow); None; prevailing 10; Medium (41-70%)(+); Chill: -15 So, I'd like to hit a command, input a terrain type, and then the script output 1 day's weather to the chat, corresponding to the correct calendar day.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I actually have a whole system designed for this taking into account trends, elevation, latitude, region, etc. needless to say, it's a complicated topic. Calendar 2 should have some good options, but it will be a while... :/ Also, I'm on vacation this weekend, so sorry for the delay responding! =D
Hm... I was hoping using the handout would be a simpler scripting task than writing a whole generator. Well, I'll keep doing what I've been doing until Calendar 2 comes out, I guess...:)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If you look back a year and a half of so, there is a weather script someone (Stephen S.?) wrote.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Found it: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/492726/slug}#pos" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/492726/slug}#pos</a>... It WAS Stephen S.!!! :)
Yeah, I did see that one, but I got the impression from the thread that it didn't work. I'll look into it again. Thanks!