Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Multi-tired results on sheet rolls

Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
I'd like some assistance with creating a very specific output for a roll on a character sheet. I'm wondering if there's a way of getting different outputs depending on the degrees of result on a roll. For example, some saves in D&D have three different outcomes. Success, partial failure, and total failure. As in, if you fail by 5 or more, you suffer an additional effect. How would I achieve that in roll20? I want a multi-tiered output. So, if 1-2 then A, if 3-4 then B, if 4-5 then C, and so forth. The math actually looks like this: Roll against a target number (TN), and each 10 full points by which you beat the TN gives you one "degree of success". So, if you roll a 32 against a TN of 30, then you have achieved "one degree of success, but if you roll a 47 , then you have achieved "two degrees of success. This must work in the other direction as well, so if you roll a 24 against a TN of 30, you have achieved "one degree of failure". Is something like that possible? And if so, how do I phrase it to get the proper output on a roll?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
There's two ways I know of to do what you want, both using conditional roll assistants A) Use roll-templates B) Use Powercards The former are already semi-builtin to the various character sheets. The latter requires installing a script but gives you far greater control over how macro output is formatted. Make a decision and announce it here and the appropriate people will continue the dialogue. ^_^

Edited 1435507566
I can think of one possibility... but it might not work perfectly... presuming that you're rolling a d100 your roll might look something like this [[floor(((d100+?{modifiers?|0})-29)/10)]] degrees of success any rolls under 30 should result in 0, a roll of 30 would result in a 1 and for every 10 above an additional +1... a breakdown of how this works for writing it for various differnt TNs and degree modifiers [[floor((( [ROLL+Modifiers] )- [TN-1] )/ [Degree modifier] )]] If a roll of 30 on a TN 30 is a failure, however, then you would obviously not subtract 1 from the TN in the calculation
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
I think I'd like to go with a relatively simple solution, so perhaps roll-templates is better then. It would be lovey if the macro could display the roll and then show the number of degrees of success or failure.
What character sheet is your campaign using? I'm sure someone can whip up a quick macro with specifics...
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm actually creating my own sheet. It's a learning experience if nothing else.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I am doing this using power cards - the system I run gives you a critical hit when your total roll is 20+ AND you succeed by 5+ over the target. it handles it with ease.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
If you want to display the roll and then the number of success, you'll need to go with PowerCards. Unfortunately, even with roll templates, you can't store a roll result for use in other parts of the template.
Powercards are actually easier to read than Roll Templates thanks to TheAaron and a trick he found. :D
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Ok, than I guess I have to learn how to use Powercards.
The best easy answer I have for you is [[floor( ( [[6d10 ]] - 30 ) / 10 )]], where 6d10 is your roll, 30 is the dc, and 10 is the increment for the tiers of success. This will output the number of success you beat or lost it by, where 0 is just barely passed, positive numbers are levels of success, and negative numbers are levels of failure. You can then hover over the result to see the original result of the 6d10 roll.