Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

How many people here play GURPS?

I love GURPS. Ever since my dad introduced me to the 3rd Edition a few years ago, I was truly captivated by the possibilities. The rules can be light for casual players, or heavy for the hardcore roleplayers. I finally got a game going here recently and it's going well. I was wondering how many people here on Roll20 play GURPS?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
According to the 2015-Q1 Orr Report , GURPS accounted for 592 games and 1279 players. What do these numbers mean? GAMES are what a Game Master running the campaign within Roll20 optionally selects from a drop down list as “Playing.” To be counted within the Industry Report for a given quarter, that campaign must be accessed (meaning unused campaigns are not shown). Most Game Masters only select one rule type for the game they are playing. A PLAYER is what an individual “Enjoys Playing” and/or “Seeks a Group For” in their personal profile. Like the Games sample, a profile is only counted in the Industry Report if they show as active by entering a campaign during the quarter. Unlike the Games sample, most players identify themselves as being interested in a great many games. Read the full report for information on how The Orr Group compiles this information and what other games are popular on Roll20. We should have a Q2 report coming out soon, so keep an eye on the blog!
The thread was more discussion based than a request for imperical facts, but thanks!
I do! Or have in the past rather. One campaign lasted six months, and then a shorter one we just had to take out back and put down out of its misery. It's my favorite system, but really requires a group into and wanting to play gurps.
Yeah, I've been a bit disappointed in looking through the LFG posts and not finding much in the way of GURPS. I played it for many years as a teenager and would like to get into it once again, but the pickings seem slim...
I'm planing on running some games and having them open here. I'm working with a couple of buddies from a site I frequent. It's basically a test run! As long as people recognize GURPS, I'm fine! Hate to think that GURPS is disliked or not played at all.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Most of the GURPs groups that I've heard of are fairly private affairs, with people playing in already established groups that move online due to various reasons.
There is an online community of GURPS players inside of Roll20 campaign called "GURPS 001" run by Tony D. . Roll20 is having a conflict with Tony advertising the community on the LFP part of the forums; since the nature of the post isn't for a single, actual game. To join, one has to get in contact with Tony. The hopes was to have a body of people who could kick GURPS questions & discussions around. Possibly getting comfortable enough with new people to break free from the "already established groups" that Simon S. had mentioned in the post above.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Roll20 supports RPG communities and we're happy to see people getting together to form them. All we ask is that every listing in the LFG Directory be for a specific game starting within the next three months . A person should be able to expect that any listing showing up in their search is for a game they can apply to right then and there. Yes, this means a group will have a campaign for their organization, for coordination and communication purposes, and then spin off a campaign and LFG entry for each game being run by the group. In the long run, this is a good thing for their RPG of choice. Instead of 1 game for the system, the Roll20 stats will see multiple games of that RPG being played -- a more accurate reflection of the activity of your RPG system! :) I hope this clears up any possible misconceptions.
I play GURPS, and intend to GM a game under the system fairly soon. However, as people have noted, it will most likely be primarily people I already play with (not from RL, but from Roll20, I just prefer to stick with the players I'm comfortable with, once I've found them since that takes time) and probably won't be open on the LFG Directory. So yes Elaxter, there are GURPS games on here, as for breaking people out of their groups, that is difficult, and for a reason I fear :)
I recently moved a long-time GURPS tabletop group to Roll20 due to the geographic relocation of several players. It's not exactly open to new players, being a group of people who have played together for over a decade. I plan to GM another public GURPS game on Roll20 in the near future, once I get the hang of all that Roll20 offers. FWIW, all my players told me they assumed the mere name "Roll20" precluded the inclusion of GURPS. None of them had signed up or even investigated Roll20 prior to my introducing it to the table to bring back two players who had moved away. That could account for some lack of GURPS  presence.
I play GURPS. I currently use another VTT for it though. I've been watching Roll20 since the Kickstarter, trying to ascertain if Roll20 was what I consider GURPS-ready yet. It definitely wasn't when it first started. I think it may be now, so I've just recently subscribed at the Mentor level, and I am still in the process of trying to migrate to Roll20. I have a lot of macros, scripts, and rollable tables that need to be working before I'll really consider making the move. I haven't yet reached a 'go/no-go' break point yet. My scripting skills I'll euphimistically (and optimistically) describe as non-professional-level. Not even hobbyist level. Not that great. I think the biggest challenge I'll have is scripting Fragmentation Damage. My players like to use the Fantasy-equivalent of grenades, and it really bogs the game down to handle the process manually. We're a closed group; I already have the players I need, and I don't see that changing, so I won't be looking for additional players. One of limitations of Roll20 that I've seen during my current migration process, is the lack of custom status icons. Since I don't yet know of another way to handle token position (standing, prone, etc.), this has weighted my migration somewhat in favor of 'no-go' at the moment. Another major roadblock will probably kill it. We'll see. One of the things that bothered me will investigating Roll20's suitability though, is that it was basically impossible to complete my investigation without signing up for a subscription first. So I'm paying before I've determined if I can even use it. A free-trial subscription model would have assisted greatly with this. $10 USD per month doesn't seem like much....until the cumulative cost compares unfavorably with any other VTT after the first year, and you realize that the USD often doesn't compare favorably to the currency of people living outside the US. I'm not saying it's a bad thing--the subscription model is really the only sustainable business model, because it doesn't require continual year-on-year growth for revenue. It does bother me that I kind of feel like I'm paying a "Game Tax", if you will.  The way it's currently set up, some games really have no need for anything beyond the free membership.  Other games are more complicated, and require higher level subscriptions to play effectively on Roll20.  I'm one of the latter (with GURPS), and thus I have to pay to GM, and Fate appears to be one of the former--I wouldn't need a Mentor membership for GMing Fate. Wow.  Wall of text, and off-topic.  Sorry.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
Re: Custom Status Icons: there is a suggestion for that in the suggestions forums ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239900/create-custom-sets-of-status-icons-for-tokens#post-2365040" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1239900/create-custom-sets-of-status-icons-for-tokens#post-2365040</a> ) and Riley suggests that it is something that he may be working on for the next big update (after the jukebox mini-update).&nbsp;
I played GURPS with some friends for a couple years, and although I haven't played it for a very long time, I still have fond memories of it and occasionally still dust off my books. &nbsp;I've been busy with a couple Pathfinder games lately, but I might look into a GURPS group here on Roll20 if one happens to catch my fancy and doesn't conflict with anything.

Edited 1441476654
Spyke
KS Backer
@Anthony T: "and require higher level subscriptions to play effectively on Roll20" I get what you're saying here, but that's partly also play style. My group's core system is GURPS and Roll20 is fine for use playing as if we were around a table . If your group members are happy rolling 3d6 and figuring out the results then there's no need for subscription features just to play the game. It's also easy, and in many ways easier than building Roll20 versions, to link to pdf character sheets (which are a boon with the complexity of GURPS). You're right that you need to subscribe to figure out more complex scripted actions, but not every group would agree that this necessarily makes play more effective. It's a matter of personal taste.
Carl T
Sheet Author
Recently moved a game over to GURPS 4e rules here. We're closed group. I do wish the GURPS character sheets here were more usable for players. Both seem on the verge of being able to do good things, but not quite. As GM, I'm mainly using paper on my side with Roll20 as the communications hub, dice roller, &nbsp;and occasional battle map. I don't run many battles so the occasional skill check doesn't require much in the way of automation.