Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lag on Large Scale Maps

When I increase the size of a page to, say, 30 units by 30 units, I suffer from lag. I don't know what causes this, since my computer is pretty good. Would performance be better on Google Chrome? I use Firefox.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Before we dive into the guts of the issue, we're going to need you to do a few things for us, things that sometimes fix issues for users before more extensive troubleshooting is needed. Can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page (temporarily disable all browser add-ons and extensions, temporarily pause your anti-virus, and try switching browsers (for Chrome/Firefox specific issues) ) to see if one of those components is causing the problem. If all of that fails, please follow Step 4 , including providing all of the requested information, so that we can further assist you.
Gold
Forum Champion
I go way larger than 30 units x 30 units, without lag. 30x30 background map size, in itself, is not a problem. This happens even before you fill up the map with images? The only time I've seen any lag or delay on a "blank map" with just grid is making an enormous Hex-Grid map, like greater than 200x200, with Hex Labeling turned on, which writes a unique letter-number code for every hex. Hopefully the technical steps from GenKitty's post will help resolve this for you Elaxter!