Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting: "See" line of sight for NPC tokens

I want my players to be able to "see" a line of sight cone for the NPCs they encounter, i.e. they should be able to discern in which direction the town guard looks, and how big his fov is (For Stealth sections etc.). How can I achieve this?
If you're using dynamic lighting, you could have him emit light that all players can see and set the angle at whatever his angle of vision would be. However, that would only work if he's in a darkened area, otherwise it would just blend in with the general lighting.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
If you were a mentor, I'd suggest an API that only shows a cone (instead of circle/square) for an aura. That would be the BEST answer, in my opinion -- if API can do that. Not being a writer, I've no idea if it can or not. Without API, I'd try fiddling with dynamic lighting and give the NPC the ability to shed light in its FoV. That requires going to the Advanced Tab for the token settings and tinkering with the Emits Light section. However, this will only work if the area around the NPC is dark or dimly lit -- any light it generates will interact with other light sources on the map. I suggest waiting and seeing what some of the geniuses here come up with, but hopefully I've given you an idea to chew on!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
(Hee. I'd have posted faster if I wasn't looking up wiki links and typing slowly)
Oooh, sniped you! :)