Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lag when opening the Token Settings dialog box

Hello there, lately I have been getting huge amounts of lag on Roll20 when I try and edit tokens. I'm using the D&D 5e Shaped Character Sheet and I think that might be the contributor because it's only occurred when that's applied. There is nothing on the map at all other than 2 tokens: no image, no background, nothing. When I use the token that isn't linked to a character sheet there is no lag at all.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Before we dive into the guts of the issue, we're going to need you to do a few things for us, things that sometimes fix issues for users before more extensive troubleshooting is needed. Can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page (temporarily disable all browser add-ons and extensions, temporarily pause any anti-virus, and try switching browsers (for Chrome/Firefox specific issues) ) to see if one of those components is causing the problem. If none of that resolves the issue, follow Step 4 , so that we can have this information to further assist you.
Issue: Extreme lag is encountered when editing a token linked to the d&d 5e Shaped Character Sheet and moderate lag when using the character sheet itself. Reproducing the issue is as simple as trying to do either of those. This issue is also encountered on Firefox. Web Browser: Google Chrome Version 43.0.2357.132 m Operating System Windows 7 Javascript is enabled AV Software: Avast! Extensions: BetterTTV, FrankerFaceZ, Google Mail Checker, Hitbox Emotes, Imgur to Gfycat, Kappa Everywhere, Re-Chat for Twitch, Stylish, uBlock Origin
How long is "ridiculous" in actual time? Just curious because this thing was an issue when the AD&D 2E sheet was out but not right away. Then it got fixed, IIRC.
it freezes up my tab for about 10-15 seconds every time i try and change something.

Edited 1436659869
I had this same problem until just recently. In fact, the issue still persists if I use Google Chrome. I didn't have any of the extensions that you use and even tried uninstalling all extensions, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, and probably some other stuff that I can't remember. I'm using Windows 10, so I thought I'd check how it worked on Project Spartan/Microsoft Edge and it was better, but I didn't want to rely on it. So then I tried Firefox and now I only get about 4 or 5 seconds of delay before it opens the token settings instead of 15-20+. There were even times during a game that it would freeze everything in that tab and eventually kill my audio and video connections forcing me to refresh the page to get it back. Everyone else in the game had no issues communicating during that time. It got to where I just wouldn't open any tokens so we could finish out the game session. I've seen a few others mention this same problem in other threads, but I don't know what the common denominator is. If it were just Google Chrome + opening a token, I think we'd be hearing a lot more of this. EDIT - I forgot to mention that I am also using the 5e Shaped Character Sheet. I use the 5e importer script and Token Name Number. I have added a couple API scripts since this issue began (Group Initiative and Torch), but they haven't affected the issue either way.
I have also encountered some pretty heavy lag while using this particular character sheet. It stopped briefly when he put out an update to fix something, off hand I can't recall what, but it is back in force. Only affects the tab in question.
It could be related to the character sheet but it could also be related to server lag. On the weekends it can get really busy. @That Sprite, is it still happening or was it just that one day?

Edited 1436784181
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've had it happen on various days and times of day also. For me it seems related to the 'GM Notes' section of the tokens (I could be making connections by coincidence thats not there also). Pasting the info from the MM into it to parse out. Tried both Chrome and firefox to see if it was related to one of them but same effect on both. But if made a script on token:change that triggered and cleared the GM notes after it was done creating the tokens and sheets, it happened but not nearly as quickly or to the same extent. Pasting the info into the box and doing !monster-import, after 2-3 tokens selecting/dragging tokens got laggy, after about 5-6 I have to refresh the whole page or start the browser again as it got so bad I was trying to drag tokens and delay was making me grab other tokens or draw selection boxes because it didnt 'grab' the one I clicked over in time. Only close parallel I can make to the effect is like trying to remote desktop control a machine on a bad dial-up connection. Sadly i didn't grab a log, as I chalked it up to lots of processing and token changes being made: naming/linking/bar setting/creating character sheets etc done via API. And I haven't imported any creatures in about a week or so, so not sure if its cleared up..I can do some later today and see if it start lagging and log it if you like. This page of where we keep the 'monsters' we made for a reference, I had to refresh/restart about 8-9 times while making them:
Ryan H. said: It could be related to the character sheet but it could also be related to server lag. On the weekends it can get really busy. @That Sprite, is it still happening or was it just that one day? I just attempted again, and I'm still getting that large amount of lag.
@DXWarlock, thanks for a specific way to test it. I'll see if I can replicate it myself and report what I get.
The GM section clearing reminds me of HoneyBadger's 4E importer. I recall him saying he himself set it to clear the GM section to help with lag so that is possible. I had my players test on their end if they had any lag. They stated none more than what could be chalked up to server lag (a second here or there as it processed info).
I looked at the GM section possibility, but the problem exists even if that field is blank. For me, the issue is there for any token that is attached to a 5E Shaped character sheet while using Google Chrome. Granted, I'm using a laptop with an AMD A8-4500M APU which isn't a powerhouse as a CPU or GPU, but it shouldn't be that bad. And in Firefox it isn't. I saw in one of the several threads about this problem that someone asked for info found in the top section of chrome://gpu which indicated that the person reporting the issue didn't have hardware acceleration in Chrome for several features. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the answer to my problem: Graphics Feature Status Canvas:Hardware accelerated Flash:Hardware accelerated Flash Stage3D:Hardware accelerated Flash Stage3D Baseline profile:Hardware accelerated Compositing:Hardware accelerated Multiple Raster Threads:Enabled Rasterization:Hardware accelerated Threaded Rasterization:Enabled Video Decode:Hardware accelerated Video Encode:Hardware accelerated WebGL:Hardware accelerated
Thanks guys. I'm looking into this one currently as I want to make sure if it is something to do with the script or our end. I haven't used this script before so give me a bit to figure it out.
I have this problem as well... It only happens when in the session as a GM, the only thing I can think of is that when trying to edit as a GM, it puts ALL of the possible attribute variables into the options for the 3 bars to represent, and there are a LOT of attributes in the D&D 5E Shaped Character Sheet.  And Players don't have access to editing the bars attribute selection, only GM does. Clicking on the dropdown menu for any of these three bars lags slightly, which is what makes me believe that is what's causing it.  If only we could have an option to disable the option of setting these bars to an attribute, it might fix the problem, or at least rule out something that might be causing it.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
When I am GMing it also happens to me.  Though I don't know what is the cause of it because I have used it on another computer and the lag goes away (such as my laptop).  It's really bad on the weekends.  I will have to do some more research and figure out if it is computer specific and if there is something that I can do on my end before posting again.  I will try to see if it is repeatable.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Oh and I use the 5e Shaped Sheet as well.  I know that sheet is incredibly large and complicated and it could also be contributing to the issue.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Test 1:  I went into Chrome://flags and turned on Rasturization.  If found out that my rasturization was disabled.  Since I have done that I have noticed an IMMEDIATE speed difference.  I will continue to test but that made a huge difference so far.
ZeraBrit said: I have this problem as well... It only happens when in the session as a GM, the only thing I can think of is that when trying to edit as a GM, it puts ALL of the possible attribute variables into the options for the 3 bars to represent, and there are a LOT of attributes in the D&D 5E Shaped Character Sheet.  And Players don't have access to editing the bars attribute selection, only GM does. Clicking on the dropdown menu for any of these three bars lags slightly, which is what makes me believe that is what's causing it.  If only we could have an option to disable the option of setting these bars to an attribute, it might fix the problem, or at least rule out something that might be causing it. Hmmm..I hadn't even thought of that as being a problem. I'll play around with it and see if I can figure it out.
Black Falcon said: Test 1: &nbsp;I went into Chrome://flags and turned on Rasturization. &nbsp;If found out that my rasturization was disabled. &nbsp;Since I have done that I have noticed an IMMEDIATE speed difference. &nbsp;I will continue to test but that made a huge difference so far. So according to this&nbsp; <a href="https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documen" rel="nofollow">https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documen</a>... That speeds up how quickly things get re-painted on the screen...it's possible that has something to do with the large number of select options... Just to make sure I'm following this thread properly -- everyone is talking solely about lag while opening the Token Settings dialog box, right? Not anything to do with Characters, Handouts, the tabletop itself, etc...

Edited 1437764279
Editing Characters, Handouts are fine, lag free. &nbsp;It's just editing the token options. With HP bars, what character it represents, name, show nameplate, etc. Edit: And only if the token is linked to a Character.
Also, if someone who is having this problem (like the folks saying they're having 10-15 seconds of lag) would be okay with it, give me a link to the Campaign Details page for one of the games having the issue, and I will make a copy of it to aid in testing. (I'll delete it when the problem is solved).
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/202927/ze" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/202927/ze</a>... I made a Test page with the same token on it, one linked to a Character, the 2nd one a generic/unlinked token.
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Just to make sure I'm following this thread properly -- everyone is talking solely about lag while opening the Token Settings dialog box, right? Not anything to do with Characters, Handouts, the tabletop itself, etc... Tokens are a bit 'laggish' for me compared to our Rifts campaign that doesnt use the 5e shaped sheet. But my major lag was when using the sheet with the character importer script. After a few imports, pasting into the GM notes was 5-10 seconds lag, and clicking on tokens to select them was lagged. id have to reload Roll20 to get it back to normal.
Once the dialog box is open, are you then able to use it okay? Like, you can tab between the fields and move the dialog box around? Or is it still lagging at that point, too?

Edited 1437767156
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That was ok for me for the most part (it could have just been less noticeable with the other lag involved.) it was pasting into the GM field that made it lag. Steps I did when it started lagging: drag over token. paste info into GM field. do !build-monster (i believe it is called). a few seconds later sheet is made. This was ok for a few tokens (getting slightly worse each one), after a handful of repeating this, opening the token dialog took a little bit, then clicking in GM field was a few seconds, then pasting into the GM box took 6-10 seconds before the text showed up (during which time the box was 'frozen') couldn't even close it. Along with this selecting and dragging tokens performance degraded with it, up to the point where it was a nuisance and Id refresh and continue.&nbsp;
All used on the "Test page" of the Campaign I linked above. Double clicking, or using the gear icon on a Character linked token: -Lags on the initial opening of the dialog. -Doesn't lag when switching between Basic/Advanced. -Takes 1-2 seconds to load up the drop-down menu when clicking the bar option to link to an attribute, on either of the 3 bars. -Click and holding mouse button to move the dialog, stutters on the initial move for like 0.2 seconds, but then moves fine. -Releasing the mouse click and retrying to move the dialog window duplicates the above. -Clicking "Cancel" doesn't lag. -Clicking "Save Changes" stutters just like the initial movement above. -Moving the token around on the map doesn't lag, with or without the dialog window open. -Editing Auras, any Colours or any bar values(Other than the attribute drop down menu) doesn't lag. Double clicking , or using the gear icon on an unlinked token: -Doesn't have any of the lag related problems of the above.

Edited 1437768121
I also experience this lag, it does seem to appear when opening the token and then it persists after opening a token settings even if I've done nothing related. Rast- or whatever is on default so I assumed it is on.
Okay, great. I think I have enough info to figure it out from here (or at least hopefully do). I'll let you know when I've either made some progress or need more info from people with the issue.
For me, When I have all the NPC tokens from TokenMod (say 10+) on the GM Layer is when I notice that lag is the worst. &nbsp;My opinion is that it is the api scripts syncing against all the tokens. &nbsp;
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley D. said: Black Falcon said: Test 1: &nbsp;I went into Chrome://flags and turned on Rasturization. &nbsp;If found out that my rasturization was disabled. &nbsp;Since I have done that I have noticed an IMMEDIATE speed difference. &nbsp;I will continue to test but that made a huge difference so far. So according to this&nbsp; <a href="https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documen" rel="nofollow">https://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documen</a>... That speeds up how quickly things get re-painted on the screen...it's possible that has something to do with the large number of select options... Just to make sure I'm following this thread properly -- everyone is talking solely about lag while opening the Token Settings dialog box, right? Not anything to do with Characters, Handouts, the tabletop itself, etc... Riley, My lag came when I clicked on the tokens and the circles above appear &nbsp;- sometimes it takes several seconds. &nbsp;I also notice it when I am trying to select multiple tokens and move them. &nbsp;Basically having the same issue as ZeraBrit. That being said the Rasturization issue seemed to solve the problem with my tests - though I haven't ran it with a group of guys yet. &nbsp;I will get back to you and let you know if it happens again - probably by that time you will have fixed it.

Edited 1437802257
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
RMcD said: I also experience this lag, it does seem to appear when opening the token and then it persists after opening a token settings even if I've done nothing related. Rast- or whatever is on default so I assumed it is on. RMcD - My was on default but it was off - I would encourage you to turn it to enabled just to see if it helps.

Edited 1437826494
Black Falcon said: RMcD said: I also experience this lag, it does seem to appear when opening the token and then it persists after opening a token settings even if I've done nothing related. Rast- or whatever is on default so I assumed it is on. RMcD - My was on default but it was off - I would encourage you to turn it to enabled just to see if it helps. Doesn't look like it, the frame rate drops (is there a way to record the FPS of the VTT) dramatically still, lots of lag spikes. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IzjTSLu9ac" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IzjTSLu9ac</a> Short video on how it is. I said moving the tokens was fine in the video but you can see that it's not as smooth as it was before. Makes a big difference if I ever go into the GM Notes during actual DMing when you have to move monsters and roll macros and the such.
Falcon
Pro
Sheet Author
I noticed that when I turn on Rasturization I get these weird lines in Roll 20 main screen...
We pushed an update out today to help address this. In particular, the repeating_ section attributes were showing up in the list when they shouldn't have been. That reduced the list size by quite a bit for the Shaped sheet, and on our test machine which was taking 4-5 seconds to open the Token Settings dialog box, it now only takes about 1 second. Let me know if that helps!
There's still some lag as you've stated, but it's a definite improvement to what we were getting and only mildly annoying now. Instead of infuriating. :P Thanks for the update! :D
Riley D. said: We pushed an update out today to help address this. In particular, the repeating_ section attributes were showing up in the list when they shouldn't have been. That reduced the list size by quite a bit for the Shaped sheet, and on our test machine which was taking 4-5 seconds to open the Token Settings dialog box, it now only takes about 1 second. Let me know if that helps! This has helped an absolute ton, I'm experiencing vastly improved performance now. There's still a fair bit of lag, but it's much better than before.
Indeed, we'll keep working on this, but that was a quick and easy fix that gained us 80% of the performance back...now we just have to work on the remaining 20%. I have some ideas on how we can do that but it's going to take a bit of time to get it implemented.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah, this is the bug you mentioned before. Let me know if there are any changes that I can make to the sheet/script to remove any lag. I've tried to keep it as performant as possible. GM Notes has been horrendously laggy since the beginning for me as well. Not sure if you adjusted that at all. Thanks for making some changes to reduce the lag, hopefully more to come. :)

Edited 1441222375
I've still been experiencing this, a curious thing I noticed is that not everyone experience this. I promoted my friend to GM to help me with the tokens and he has no lag at all, same campaign, we're doing the same thing (opening GM notes, copy paste, move on). I don't think there has been any improvement in this particular department.