Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using Roll20 on a laid-flat flatscreen TV

So I know this isn't a new idea or anything, so I wanted to ask anyone who's done it if there's anything we should know beforehand. We're going to be building a custom table to support a 55" TV laid flat so that tokens can be moved underneath physical miniatures to simulate LoS & auras ( like mentioned here ). We're thinking of lexan or acrylic laid on top of the screen, itself, to protect it and allow drawing with markers by the DM (since the Roll20 displayed would be from a player perspective) and/or an inferred overlay for touch-capability. Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, do's or don'ts? Thanks in advance, Agnati
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hello Agnati, here are a few links from using the search engine on the site. I used keyword search "using roll20 on tv". search list results 3 random results pulled from the list. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1719452/slug%7D#" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1719452/slug%7D#</a>... <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/308790/slug%7D#p" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/308790/slug%7D#p</a>... <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/97499/slug%7D#po" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/97499/slug%7D#po</a>...
Agnati, If you have the client-side computer that's sourcing the TV feed setup with a wireless mouse, you can pass the mouse around for the drawing tools within Roll20. It would also allow the players to update their digital tokens to match the physical. (let face it, the GM has enough to do already, they don't need to control tokens too ☺) As far as the lexan, make sure it's reasonably water-tight on the edges. (maybe sitting on a thin strip of soft rubber?). Spills will seep into even the thinnest crack, otherwise. Depending how modular you construct this, removing a busted LCD is probably not high on your list of things you want to end up doing. Depending on how you're constructing your table, remember to include a set of fans for intake and another set on the opposite side for exhaust (preferably not where a player would sit). LCD Displays generate a LOT of heat in enclosed areas. I recommend, perhaps in addition to an existing RGB or HDMI connection, adding a Miracast or similar Wireless Display Adapter. That will let you avoid having to drag along a video cable wherever you're controlling the display from. Chromecast is good for specific apps and maybe the Chrome browser specifically, but the Miracast compatible adapters are full screen-mirroring in general.
The way I've been using Roll20 for my local game is set-up a Player Account that gets logged onto using my flat screen TV (connected to a PC that I used for a Media Center). I then use my laptop behind my DM screen to show pop-ups and move the party between pages. I have a wireless mouse that I hand over to the PCs and the shared PC account has access to all the tokens. So during combat turn that PC will move his token with the mouse and then make his rolls in person.
In my real life games I've used a Projection Monitor, but the novelty does wears off after few sessions and you realize that it hasn't necessarily improved play... -Ajax
Yeah, the novelty of it wearing off is one of my concerns, especially with the amount of money and labor going into a project like this. As you mentioned, Mark G, has anyone that's done this run into issues with moisture? having a watertight surface is a must, but down here in GA, we get some pretty humid summer days. Ventilation fans are also a must. My thought, though, was to get something like lexan and cut it to fit inside the frame of the TV to sit directly on top of the LCD to minimize distortion when viewing a physical miniature sitting atop a Roll20 token (learned the term "parallax"). I do realize, though, that the middle of the actual LCD is very minimally supported, if supported at all, since the TVs were designed to be hanging vertically. Also thought about disassembling the TV and mounting it's components securly, that way we could support the LCD entirely, though I would imagine it would void any warranty ten times over... Thoughts? Anyone else who's done anything of this sort, any suggestions or do's or don'ts?

Edited 1436887603
Ajax said: In my real life games I've used a Projection Monitor, but the novelty does wears off after few sessions and you realize that it hasn't necessarily improved play... -Ajax In the same boat, I've used the LCD and have experimented with a great number of things. Here are my findings. Physical Minis (Moved by Players) Pros: Allows the players to be more emerged in the experience by interacting directly with the "token" it also has that super cool experience by letting the players see a much more detailed drawing than what they would have on a Chessex Mat. Cons: 1. Constant altering of the map in every quadrant, if someone goes out of range and you have to adjust the map then it becomes an issue. If you use the digital tokens underneath you have a place marker but have to readjust. 2. From a DM perspective (assuming you are putting plexiglass on the LCD) their is a distortion between where the mini is and where the players see it is. (The gap does this) With a projector you don't have this. 3. Table subject to spills and other issues while sitting on the top of the table etc.. Digital Minis (Moved by Players) Pros: 1. Less work for the DM, if he's passing his wireless mouse around or if the players are sitting at the table with a device connected into the session this does work best, but the players really need to be loving it to provide the depth and feel of this function. 2. With this option, you really don't need the table laying flat, so simply connecting it to your living room / basement TV on the entertainment center works as good if not better in most ways. Cons: Sadly the players tell me it feels more like a Video game than D&D, we are a "mature" group so its swimming upstream at times getting them to embrace the new technology is challenging. 5e was a step up for us, as 4e a grid was required, but with 5th not so much. Digital Mini's (Moved by DM) Pros: 1. Its a bit more streamline for the DM, don't have to worry about players having issues selecting their token etc. 2. With this option, you really don't need the table laying flat, so simply connecting it to your living room / basement TV on the entertainment center works as good if not better in most ways. Cons: More work for the DM, players might have a spot picked out on the grid but you understanding the exact spot they want to be is a pain. BYOD (Players bring their tablet / laptop, no central grid is provided) With this option I also bring my tablet and connect to the session as a player so if a "break out grid" is needed I can provide it, or if their is a handout I want to share I can show it there too. (I'm currently using this option) The players that want a grid, got a grid, the players that don't want one don't have one. The funny thing is that the players who don't want to play with one, often are looking at their buddies screen etc. After a couple sessions no one shows up with a device and we do theater of the mind, I stop making maps but use Roll20 to streamline everything from a DM perspective. Overall if you want a GRID its a great option, but don't be married to the idea of it. I think in a small fashion it provides a very valuable addition, but if you force it for everything it becomes problematic. I think the headache of carrying the TV/Monitor around decreases the value a great deal, if you created an LCD Gaming Table where you always played in the same location I think that would greatly change things for me.

Edited 1436890387
The other item of note is how i actually ran the LCD in my games. I've gone a couple different ways with this. Connected it to my laptop created it as a second display and connected that as a "player" for the shared space Pros: Only 1 laptop required Cons: You are constantly switching back in forth if you are the one controlling the minis, You also have to set permissions to allow the "player" to see through all tokens, which minimizes the player experience etc. Connected it via a Second Player only laptop (Allowing a player to control the minis or DM controls both) Pros: Less DM involvement in the Token process, no switching back and forth, DM can run everything from his DM view. Cons: Two laptops, 1 player spending time dealing with Tech rather than "RP"if using the player option. Same permission to allow the players to see through all the tokens. I've played with other options to like using a tablet as a "player experience" connected to the TV, movement on the tablets is still not ideal it simply provides a "Battle Map" but other than that serves very little purpose. Hope it helps.
Ajax said: In my real life games I've used a Projection Monitor, but the novelty does wears off after few sessions and you realize that it hasn't necessarily improved play... -Ajax A projector-table setup is the best option as far as eliminating the "parallax" illusion of a miniature floating above a square, but you don't get the definition or color that a TV would provide. It's definitely a trade-off, though, considering you don't run the risk of spilling a drink into it (assuming you've taken precautions against spillage inside the table base)
Also, I guess I should mention that the plan is for the DM to have his laptop so he can do the DM stuff while I've got a google Chrome tab being cast to the TV where I would be moving tokens underneath the actual miniatures for line-of-sight and auras, plus dragging designated tokens for AOE spells such as Fireball.
Agnati said: Also, I guess I should mention that the plan is for the DM to have his laptop so he can do the DM stuff while I've got a google Chrome tab being cast to the TV where I would be moving tokens underneath the actual miniatures for line-of-sight and auras, plus dragging designated tokens for AOE spells such as Fireball. Sounds like it will be successful, as long as you and the rest of the guys/gals are helping the DM out. I did it because I thought it would be super cool, it was, but then it gets old and tedious. Do I prep for 1 hour or 6 hours.. etc. Now the reverse is also true, once you create a monster once in the Library, you save a ton of time.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I'm thinking this sounds rather awesome, but it's also moved away from "How do I make this work with Roll20" and more towards electrical engineering and DIY. Part of our Code of Conduct states: Intended Use section The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Please move the discussion back to matters relating to getting this setup to work with Roll20 itself.
Oh my bad. I didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up, though! I just removed the post altogether for safety sake. Thanks again!