Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Edge browser does not render roll20.net character sheets

Despite diligent feedback and bug reporting all through the Insider period, Microsoft's Edge browser still (as of TH1 build) cannot render the character sheets in roll20: The calculated fields remain blank. That is, almost certainly, an issue in Edge, not roll20. It'd be good for roll20 if it could work "out of the box" on Windows 10. Are the devs engaged with Microsoft to help Microsoft fix the bugs in Edge that keep it from rendering roll20 correctly?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
From our Troubleshooting Guide, Step 1: Using the right browser : While Roll20 will work in a variety of browsers, in order to maximize your playing experience and take advantage of everything that Roll20 can do, you should use the latest version of either Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Due to bleeding-edge features, we are unable to support beta versions of web browsers.
Indeed, I had thought it was working (having recently installed Windows 10 myself) but I didn't think to check the Character Sheets auto-calculated fields. It seems like everything else is working properly, though, which is good (except of course the built-in video and voice since IE doesn't support WebRTC). I'll add it to my list to look into. We haven't traditionally "officially" supported IE-based browsers, but since so much of it is working properly I'll see if I can't put in a few lines of code to make it work...

Edited 1437091835
Thorsten
KS Backer
Thanks for the reply! I'm happy you're looking into it. It's actually not an IE-based browser, it's a brand-new rendering engine. Edge is MS' attempt to break with the cruft and "support the modern web." Their words. I am thinking the fault is with Edge. I was just wondering whether there's a line from you to MS, to talk to the Edge devs. I'd think it's MS that needs to fix Edge, not you who needs to change roll20. Though if you can work around it easily, who am I to say no to that :). I know that roll20 works great on Firefox and Chrome. However that's an extra hurdle for users who want to try you out, to have to install those browsers. I like "as few barriers between potential users and the service as possible" as a general guideline. I fully get that IE is just a no-go zone. But Edge, since MS wants that to go toe-to-toe with Chrome, that's a different story. They're close. They didn't quite get there in time for Win10 release.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Edge is still effectively IE for developers. It lacks support in many areas. Microsoft is always "almost there" with web browsers. But now Safari is worse with implementing web standards, so at least Microsoft is better than them. But I hope Riley can make this work with minimal effort.
Is this server-side? I compared the element in Edge: <input name="attr_strength_mod" disabled="disabled" type="number" value="" data-formula=""> and Chrome: <input type="number" name="attr_strength_mod" value="(floor((@{strength}-10)/2))" disabled="disabled" data-formula="(floor((@{strength}-10)/2))"> I note that value and data-formula are empty, and also that the order of the input tag elements is different. Edge can't render what's not there. Is there some special-casing server-side that just needs to be removed, to treat Edge like any other web browser?
I am not sure if it is appropriate for me to post this here, but I also had a different issue with character sheets on Edge. If I set the sheet to pop out as a separate window, it is entirely blank. I mean, a completely white empty page is displayed.
Same for me. Thought I'd give edge a try, to see how it looked for Roll20. But the character sheets don't load properly when the pop out button is pressed, so I guess I won't be using edge for much of anything yet.
Does this help? I took a look at app.js and noticed an exception "Octal numeric literals and escape characters not allowed in strict mode" being thrown here: try{!function(){"use strict";var floor=Math.floor,round=Math.round,ceil=Math.ceil,abs=Math.abs;dolog&&console.log(finalString),result=eval(finalString)} finalString has a value of "000000000000000001" (didn't count the exact number of zeroes ... many)