Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dealing with outdated attribute values

vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Has this happened to you? Scenario: You have made changes to the character sheet (html/css) that include new default values for existing attributes. This is fine for new characters created after the update, but what about existing sheets and their attributes? I have specifically noticed this on textarea attributes that are customizable by the end-user. These attributes are often used for custom macro's based off of the included default macro. I have a sinking feeling that many existing sheets are not getting some of the new features and fixes. Thoughts? Solutions?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Not sure I understand. Has the name of the field changed, or just the default value? If it's just the default value, would it matter? If the person has erased the old default and has entered something new it shouldn't matter. If the person hasn't changed anything, the default value should update, I believe . At least it has for me in the past (at least that's what I'm remembering, but memory is a funny thing)...even for existing characters, but only if that field hasn't been touched since the character was created.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Same attribute names, but a new value. This might just be another repeating item quirk. I'll need to do some more testing... As an example, when we added iterative attacks to the pathfinder sheet I noticed that I had to create a new repeating weapon/attack in order to see the newly added code. My existing weapon/attacks macro text did not have the new default value(that included iterative attacks). I could manually insert the new code into my existing macros and they would work fine. Ultimately this is what we told users to do if they wanted to use the new iterative attacks for their existing macros. I'm sure there are many existing player's that don't even know that we added iterative attacks or how to apply them for their existing "on-sheet" macros. Another example that wasn't a repeating item; We have a text input attribute for the HP-max formula. Users can modify this if they wish. When I checked an existing sheet, it still had the old formula even though we had introduced a new formula default value that included the math for toggled conditions. Maybe I just found some fringe cases. That's why I'm asking if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thanks
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Weird. Can't say I experienced that, but maybe I have and just didn't notice. I'll have to pay closer attention.
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
From what I've seen, if the attribute is visible on the Attributes & Abilities tab, then it has been 'touched'/modified and will not update. If it isn't, it will update. And you can force an update by deleting it from the Attributes & Abilities tab. Unfortunately, just clicking on the input box seems to be sufficient to cause it to be added to the Attributes & Abilities tab and then breaking the updating unless that Attribute is cleared/deleted. I'll admit I haven't gone looking specifically for cases of things not updating, but that is what I have noticed.
Wes
Sheet Author
I have noticed the same behaviors that Diana has. If you even click on a field that has default value set then it will add it to the Attributes tab and it wont auto repopulate a new value with a change.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've noticed that the buttons on repeating items will retain their old value, even if the repeating section is updated. Seems to be an issue with repeating. In other areas I always use a hidden input for the value of a checkbox so that I can change that value later without having to worry about updates.

Edited 1437151684
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Mark said: I've noticed that the buttons on repeating items will retain their old value, even if the repeating section is updated. Seems to be an issue with repeating. In other areas I always use a hidden input for the value of a checkbox so that I can change that value later without having to worry about updates. Good to know. Thanks Mark. I guess I'll need to be more cautious making changes that affect the default values of existing attributes, identify any problem attributes and fix/update the attribute value and inform the end-user as needed.

Edited 1437125519
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Here is an example of checkboxes with classes stripped out for readability: <input type="hidden" name="attr_spellcomponents_verbal_var" value="{{spell_components_verbal=1}}"> <input type="hidden" name="attr_spellcomponents_somatic_var" value="{{spell_components_somatic=1}}"> <input type="hidden" name="attr_spellcomponents_material_var" value="{{spell_components_material=1}}"> <input type="checkbox" name="attr_spellcomponents_verbal" value="@{spellcomponents_verbal_var}"><span>V</span> <input type="checkbox" name="attr_spellcomponents_somatic" value="@{spellcomponents_somatic_var}"><span>S</span> <input type="checkbox" name="attr_spellcomponents_material" value="@{spellcomponents_material_var}"><span>M</span> Hopefully if I ever do update the value of the hidden input it'll work as its in a repeating section. Outside of a repeating section I know it works. I use this model everywhere for new checkboxes. I once tried to change some existing checkboxes over to use this model, but I don't think that retains data.