Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[API - Tags] API Access to Image Tags.

Score + 196

Edited 1427289080
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
API access to image tags...AND all other tags! Currently API scripts that leverage images for things like random map generation have to have the image URLs hard coded in the script or loaded into a Rollable table. This is really making the creation and sharing of these sort of API scripts (scripts that really leverage all Roll20 has to offer) challenging (its slowing API innovation.) Having this feature would also be of value to market content creators, it would enable them to create packs that work with API scripts they have created or already currently exist.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hear Hear!
Personally I'd expand this to tags in general, not just image tags
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Aaron I. said: Personally I'd expand this to tags in general, not just image tags Good point!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 Sympathy vote here. Agree that it shouldn't just be limited to image tags, but what the heck.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fixed the lead post to include all tags.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen S. said: Fixed the lead post to include all tags. Peer pressure... everyone is doing it.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You are why we can't have nice things.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
+1 because Stephen says he needs this to work his black magic, and I want to be on his good side when his vile plan succeeds.

Edited 1428706091
+1, I'm all about making things easier to be lazy, I mean I bought the tile pack and still haven't takin the time to swap out the watermarked pieces.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg B. said: I'm all about making things easier to be lazy, I mean I bought the tile pack and still haven't takin the time to swap out the watermarked pieces. Its a brutal process. You have my empathy and apology. However its less brutal than drawing Dynamic Lighting paths every time you place a tile down. And with the "Wall Restriction", and "objc.remove()" and API hyperlink commands.... things are getting amazing. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpY9jVlguoM" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpY9jVlguoM</a> Drop in... move around... easy easy easy. But we still have to relate the image URL to the data. :/ But... With API access to tags? Content creators can provide the pathing data with the asset or a standard "key." Once we get that... we get Vince to to nag Aaron to write the epic dungeon script and we get Alan making tile packs. And I then wont have to do anything.... which has always been my ambition in life.
Nick S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Translator
+1, would love to see this happen.
Something like this, even just doors, would remove so many of the user-unfriendly headaches that come with member level dynamic lighting.
/thumbsup
Make it so number 1

Edited 1427533974
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Consider it for dropping in monsters as well. API could be.... !mob orc,bloodsword 3 It would randomly drop in three of any tokens with "orc" and "bloodsword" as tags. . .
This! +1 more.
+1
+1
Yes please
+1
+1
+1 also
+1
+1
+1
+1! I replaced a bunch of url's, and don't want to do it again!
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gozer the Gozerian said: +1! I replaced a bunch of url's, and don't want to do it again! Its dreadful! I have to do it for the market tokens... to make sure they all work. Then I have to do it for the watermarked tokens... to make sure they all work... and to share them. Then I try to help anyone that asks for help... more replacing of URLs. Rumor is Riley is coming to save us... but keep voting. (And when he does, I will have to go update the URLs for all my script again! But it should be for the last time! And now one else should have to to do it.)
I'm Voting Yes so hard right now.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen S. said: Gozer the Gozerian said: +1! I replaced a bunch of url's, and don't want to do it again! Its dreadful! I have to do it for the market tokens... to make sure they all work. Then I have to do it for the watermarked tokens... to make sure they all work... and to share them. Then I try to help anyone that asks for help... more replacing of URLs. Rumor is Riley is coming to save us... but keep voting. (And when he does, I will have to go update the URLs for all my script again! But it should be for the last time! And now one else should have to to do it.) I almost feel sorry for you Stephen. lol We need to get this added so I can free up another vote...
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: Stephen S. said: Gozer the Gozerian said: +1! I replaced a bunch of url's, and don't want to do it again! Its dreadful! I have to do it for the market tokens... to make sure they all work. Then I have to do it for the watermarked tokens... to make sure they all work... and to share them. Then I try to help anyone that asks for help... more replacing of URLs. Rumor is Riley is coming to save us... but keep voting. (And when he does, I will have to go update the URLs for all my script again! But it should be for the last time! And now one else should have to to do it.) I almost feel sorry for you Stephen. lol We need to get this added so I can free up another vote... Kind words from my Roll20 forum nemesis?... This has to be some sort trick. What is he up to? Hmmm wants to free up a vote for some nefarious purpose.

Edited 1430628712
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephen S. said: Kind words from my Roll20 forum nemesis?... This has to be some sort trick. What is he up to? Hmmm wants to free up a vote for some nefarious purpose. I think I'll add my suggestion to remove "object.remove()" from the API. It's causing way too many issues...
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: Stephen S. said: Kind words from my Roll20 forum nemesis?... This has to be some sort trick. What is he up to? Hmmm wants to free up a vote for some nefarious purpose. I think I'll add my suggestion to remove "object.remove()" from the API. It's causing way too many issues... "Alright, alright I apologize. I'm really, really sorry. I apologize unreservedly. I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basic in fact and was in no way fair comment and was motivated purely by malice and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you or your family and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future."
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Playing around with path finding with API. This would be great especially if we could have better API access to images With an A* search algorithm we could do a lot. 1) In the absence of waypoints this could be used to determine a player's path (great for auto traps.) 2) AI patrols… let the mobs wander! 3) Dungeon generations. Terrain information.
I vote yes
Not sure how I missed this suggestion. &nbsp;It's so obvious... Anyway, +1 to it!
As a new GM who didn't know what I was getting into, +1!
So hard yes... If I could vote twice... or at all, I totally would! :)
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Julix said: So hard yes... If I could vote twice... or at all, I totally would! :) Hoping the post-jukebox update includes this one... the post-jukebox will be an API update.
This would be wondeful +1
As a newer user I would like to +1 this as I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it.
GiGGles
Plus
Translator
nice
Scaby79
Sheet Author
API Scripter
+1 from me too
Make it so please.
+1 yes
+1 make it so
+1
+1
+1 Not being able to use the API to grab images that I've purchased from the marketplace is a bitter pill to swallow. I paid good money for the right to use those assets in my campaign, and by any reasonable interpretation this should mean that I have full access to use them in my games. Those assets should be available to me with all of the same functionality as the artwork that I have created myself and uploaded into my image library!
+1!
Elena S. said: +1 Not being able to use the API to grab images that I've purchased from the marketplace is a bitter pill to swallow. I paid good money for the right to use those assets in my campaign, and by any reasonable interpretation this should mean that I have full access to use them in my games. Those assets should be available to me with all of the same functionality as the artwork that I have created myself and uploaded into my image library! The most likely outcome currently is that we would figure out a way to enable this for Marketplace purchases only &nbsp;but not the uploaded image library, due to the various means of potential abuse.