Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat is broken in one of my games

Hey all, To start, this is not an active game, it's a test game for myself, so no rush. Any time I enter chat in the chat window, the entered text does not show but instead the last 50 or so lines of chat are displayed instead. It even persists after disabling all of my api scripts. Please let me know what information i need to provide so someone can take a look at this. Thanks! ~m
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Before we dive into the guts of the issue, we're going to need you to do a few things for us, things that sometimes fix issues for users before more extensive troubleshooting is needed. Can you please follow Steps 1-3 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page to see if one of those components is causing the problem. If one of those does fix the issue, just let us know :) If none of that resolves the issue, please follow Step 4 , so that we can have this information to further assist.
For the first, it is repeatable in Firefox 39.0 and Chrome 43.0.2357.130 Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit) For the second, it persists in Firefox and chrome with add-ons disabled. There is no local firewall and no AV. For the third, clearing the cache had no effect. For the fourth: A detailed description of the issue: Entering any text in the char window and hitting 'Send' results in the last 40-50 lines of chat text to be printed instead of the entered text.    Step by step instructions on how to reproduce the issue: Enter text in the chat window, hit 'Send' or enter. Web Browser: Chrome Firefox Browser Version: Chrome 43.0.2357.130 Ubuntu 15.04 (64-bit) Firefox 39.0 Operating System: Ubuntu If Javascript is enabled: Yes Your anti-virus software: None List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled: Lots but still occurs without them. Console Log for the text 'asdf': "Finished after going 2 levels deep." app.js:40:29047 "Begin processing op!" app.js:40:31047 "Inline rolls complete!" app.js:40:30473 Error: Syntax error, unrecognized expression: #sheet-rolltemplate-5eDefault {{ability=1
I had this problem earlier today and doing a global clear of my chat log fixed the issue.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It sounds like you have broken chat messages, which can be caused by API scripts. A clear of the whole chat log, as Morbidsoul suggests, should fix it.
Looks like that fixed it. Is this a known bug on the list for a fix? This was a test game, but I would hate to loose all my chat log in a real game.
We have it on our list. Obviously fixing it is ideal but until then the clear chat log is the workaround.