Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Image loads and is fine, but, then will not transfer to maps.

Edited 1439108506
I uploaded a gif image into my art library for the campaign VT World. The upload worked fine. I saw the gif properly in the library window. Then, I pull it up on the right side panel when I am looking at my map to drag and drop the image on the map. Suddenly, the only thing the image has is one of those little thumbnail error tags. I just spent 3 hours making two maps that will use this image for tomorrow. I tried to drop it on the map anyway and manipulate it as if it was not showing in error. But it still failed. I deleted it and reloaded it. It worked again in the upload and failed again in the pull up on the right panel. Help!
Does it need to be a gif? transparent? try a png format. If not, save it as a jpg image. takes up less memory.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Series0, gifs are not supported. You will need to convert it to a jpg or png (if you need transparency). If you do not know how, you can google it or let me know in a pm and I can explain how to do it with gimp.

Edited 1440262418
Ty!  I was able to use png files and had no idea that they handled transparency. Perhaps you can understand my confusion when the upload function for the Roll20 art library clearly displays the gif format as a viable option.  Maybe, 'they' might change that to avoid such confusion in the future?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You can load some gifs but not all of them. A gif is usually a series of static images that are loaded on top of each other (think of a flip book) to play out as an animated image. Not all gifs are that but due to the image format some of them will display a static image and some won't display anything. The very early roll20 could load a static gif image but if I understood the history of the site, it causes all types of glitches (as your case indicates). That is why (the way I understand it) gifs are not officially supported. The devs are aware of the terminology use and I think it is going to be changed but I'm not aware of when.
Thanks again.  

Edited 1440281498
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You are welcomed. I'm going to mark this thread resolved and close it. If you have any more problems please feel free to start a new thread.