Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Demo] "I didn't ask how big the room was, I said cast fireball"

Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Big thanks to Aaron for the help on the cones... they were giving me fits.

Edited 1440097216
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Super interesting. Any chance of doing the same with hexes?
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
love it!
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: Super interesting. Any chance of doing the same with hexes? Could. I think it shows the value of a dragification menu and rotaion as a input. Also thinking it might be fun with this idea I left idle... (making use of the cone for eye tracking:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1779465/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1779465/slug%7D</a>.... Does make measurement easy.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: Kryx said: Super interesting. Any chance of doing the same with hexes? Could. I know us hex guys are less common, but we're people too! :D These are what I currently use:
This looks great! I know I always have a problem with players not knowing the sizes of spells on Roll20. Do you have a script for us to use yet?
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: Stephen S. said: Kryx said: Super interesting. Any chance of doing the same with hexes? Could. I know us hex guys are less common, but we're people too! :D These are what I currently use: You know Aaron always tells me to do the right thing for people. I don't need another Aaron in my life. Just saying. On a serious note... the measurement should work for hexs. But I should do something like this for hexes and grids: <a href="http://zvold.blogspot.com/2010/01/bresenhams-line-" rel="nofollow">http://zvold.blogspot.com/2010/01/bresenhams-line-</a>... &nbsp;
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Corwin said: This looks great! I know I always have a problem with players not knowing the sizes of spells on Roll20. Do you have a script for us to use yet? Fixing some things with it... player control, placement of the menu.

Edited 1440107057
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: On a serious note... the measurement should work for hexs. What I meant was a sharp border is much better than a circular one - where the squares affected are specifically outlined. Even if only the outer ring is covered that could be fine. I would do the same for squares. That way it is utterly clear where the borders are.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: Stephen S. said: On a serious note... the measurement should work for hexs. What I meant was a sharp border is much better than a circular one - where the squares affected are specifically outlined. Even if only the outer ring is covered that could be fine. I would do the same for squares. That way it is utterly clear where the borders are. No I follow.
Looking great. I hope I get to use something like this one day.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sold, i'll take 3!
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kryx said: Super interesting. Any chance of doing the same with hexes? Would work something like this... for hexes.

Edited 1440157141
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hexes actually measure from a intersection, just like squares. At least in 5e.&nbsp;In my earlier example for instance it is centered on the intersection of 3. You'll notice that it is actually not symetrical (compare the top row to the bottom row) I don't think it is possible to pragmatically do it without replacing it with a new image at each step.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Wherever you place the intersection (that is just a setable option based on system) you are going to have i,j,k axis with hex. You go out the radius on each axis and connect them all. This give you a larger hex, based on center and middle starting point (token snapping based on system) and drawn based on page setting hex orientation (h or v.) That outer line.... you just path (Bresenham's line drawing algorithm.) That same algorithm can also be used for a polygonal line pathing tool.... if you wanted to draw a river or a road on a hex map (tile swapping.) There is a lot that needs to be done with pathing.... this is just distance line drawing... but you can use it for things like&nbsp; Dungeon Connect or &nbsp;a really powerful Dynamic Lighitng tool.... pathing is way under used.
All of the want for something like this :3

Edited 1440162327
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Stephen S. said: Wherever you place the intersection (that is just a setable option based on system) you are going to have i,j,k axis with hex. You go out the radius on each axis and connect them all. This give you a larger hex, based on center and middle starting point (token snapping based on system) and drawn based on page setting hex orientation (h or v.) The shapes are different. Compare a 10 ft radius: 18 vs 12

Edited 1440164760
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I think Stephen's point is in the case of the right example there is a regular hexagon centered at that point which passes through the hexagons at the perimeter but no others. The hexagon line intersection should exactly duplicate that shape.&nbsp;
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Playing around with&nbsp; Wes on an idea something like this.... identifying the areas once drawn.&nbsp;
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2331639/script-a" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2331639/script-a</a>... See script post.