Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[L5R] Problems with the current Legend of the Five Rings sheet

Official Sheet:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.l5r.com/files/2012/04/L5R-4E-Character-" rel="nofollow">http://www.l5r.com/files/2012/04/L5R-4E-Character-</a>... Custom Spreadsheet: <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FUZQKQMHJi" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FUZQKQMHJi</a>... I know there's already a L5R sheet here on roll20, but it has several issues, found here:&nbsp; <a href="http://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2232936/l5r-chara" rel="nofollow">http://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2232936/l5r-chara</a>... and here:&nbsp; <a href="http://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1969198/bug-repor" rel="nofollow">http://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1969198/bug-repor</a>... In addition, the layout of the existing sheet needs work. Rings and Skills should be both visible at once, as players need to know both before rolling anything; there's absolutely no need for a complete skill list on the sheet, as not only some characters will need additional lines (for, say, Lore skills) as they'll not use most of space; it could use some room to write down mastery abilities for skills, separate from Emphases; the Spells tab needs a space to fit in the spell's description, so players don't have to flip to the corebook to remember what a spell does; the Weapons tab only really needs any given weapon's damage rating, and it could serve as a general "Inventory" tab. I have been harping on this particular subject for a while now, but for my group, this sheet is barely usable as-is.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
You should contact the creator of the sheet, as all sheets and modifications are done by volunteers.
" Calle A. said: Hi! Sheet author here. Sadly, as you can probably tell, I've had my pro subscription time out since I can't really afford it, so I'm not in a position to fix the sheet in its current state. In other words, consider this an open call to all sheet-authors out there who want to make the L5R sheet a better experience. The sheet has a bunch of problems like the ones mentioned above (there is an older thread with some other issues listed) and I'm open for communication if there's anything you need to know." Source:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2232936/l5r-char" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2232936/l5r-char</a>...
Hey, I plan to run an L5R game too, I may pick this up and make some improvements to the sheet. It will probably be a couple weeks before i'm ready to submit but I'll look into this thread for fixes that need to be done. Let me know if you catch any other bugs! I am also going to implement roll templates to the sheet as well.&nbsp;
So the biggest problem I see with this is that roll20 cannot accurately represent L5R's rule of 10. Theres some math you can do to stop the dice at 10, and even add the left over to a number (like dice kept), but not to start converting dice kept to +2s....I think I will just have the skills/weapons/spells sections output information from the sheet, and then have a generic roll macro where players just enter roll, keep, and modifiers (there will be seperate ones for emphasis rolls and untrained rolls too, since they handle rerolls and explodes differently). i'm also thinking this may need to fork to an entirely new sheet. I've converted the skills section to a repeating list, along with the weapons...changed several attributes so that they'll function with roll templates...added new tabs..in short, it would wreck existing campaigns to merge this with the existing sheet.&nbsp; it's actually moving pretty quickly though, i'll probably have a test version up next week
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Josh A. said: So the biggest problem I see with this is that roll20 cannot accurately represent L5R's rule of 10. Theres some math you can do to stop the dice at 10, and even add the left over to a number (like dice kept), but not to start converting dice kept to +2s. Is&nbsp; this the same Rule of 10 you're trying to use? I am not very familiar with L5R's rules, but the poster that described the macro he was trying to write said my solution worked for him: [[[[{@{pool}, 10}kl1]]d10k[[{@{keep} + [[floor({@{pool} - 10, 0}k1 / 2)]], 10}kl1]] + [[[[{@{keep} + [[floor({@{pool} - 10, 0}k1 / 2) + ceil({@{pool} - 10, 0}k1 / 2) * floor(@{keep} / 10)]] - 10, 0}k1 * 2]] + [[@{pool} % 2 * (1 - floor(@{keep} / 10)) * &nbsp;floor(@{pool} / 10) * 2]]]]]] Replace @{pool} and @{keep} with the appropriate attribute sums as dictated by the sheet. The above equation, broken down: Roll @{pool} dice, to a maximum of 10 Keep the highest @{keep} dice plus the number of @{pool} dice over 10 divided by 2 rounded down Add [@{keep}, plus half (round down) @{pool} in excess of 10, plus (if @{keep} is greater than 10) half (round up) @{pool} in excess of 10] in excess of 10, multiplied by 2 If @{keep} is less than 10, @{pool} is odd, and @{pool} is greater than 10, add 2 As a roll with all those nested inline brackets, the result will look like something in the form 10d10k10+12 instead of a complicated formula when you hover your mouse over it.
Oh wow, that does work. That is an insanely long macro, though. it'd be super crazy to try and implement that on each skill/spell. Maybe i'll do that for the general rolls. Now, the other issue here is that normally these rolls explode on tens, and in some cases will reroll ones once. I know we can use !! for the exploding and ro for the rerollonce, but I'm not sure where to insert those in there (almost at the end? Before you do the last addition?)
Progress: A - Experience could use two separate fields, one for max XP and another for used XP (something like 40/47, for example) . Done B - Some skills (Etiquette, Courtier) give Insight bonuses as their mastery abilities. Instead of hard-coding that in, why not create an "Insight Bonus" field which would get added to the total Insight calculation? &nbsp;&nbsp;Because skills are a repeating section now, Insight has to be manually calculated C - The Initiative field also needs a +XkY bonus field for stuff like the Bayushi Bushi R1 School Technique. - Initiative roll is removed for the time being, will probably be added back in with an update later D - Some way to edit Wound Penalties would be nice (to account for Strength of the Earth advantage, or Matsu Berserker R4 School Technique). wound penalties not auto added in current version E - Also, some way to add a flat value to each wound rank (for the Daidoji Iron Warrior R1 School Technique) - WIP F - Add a Gear/Money Page G - Make the Traits tab not so ugly
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Josh A. said: Oh wow, that does work. That is an insanely long macro, though. it'd be super crazy to try and implement that on each skill/spell. Maybe i'll do that for the general rolls. Now, the other issue here is that normally these rolls explode on tens, and in some cases will reroll ones once. I know we can use !! for the exploding and ro for the rerollonce, but I'm not sure where to insert those in there (almost at the end? Before you do the last addition?) There's only actually one die in the whole expression, near the beginning: [[{@{pool}, 10}kl1]]d10 Make that d10 "d10!!" or "d10!!ro1" and it should work fine.

Edited 1442944244
Josh A. said: Progress: Looking good! Quick question, why are you listing weapon skills under Weapons? Seems awkward not to include those in the Skills section. Use the leftover space for Ammo, Armor and Other Stuff (and you could then turn the section into Gear/Money). On a different note, I've found that high-level L5R works better when the Rule of 10 is ignored. If you decide to hardcode it in, can you leave something we could do to disable it?
I had it that way initially because of space...I figured most characters would end up with more skills than weapons, so to prevent the skills page from getting too long i wuold move those skills there, and create a separate tab for money/misc equipment, but if it makes more sense i can keep skills on one page and move the equipment to the weapons page

Edited 1443719791
Josh A. said: I had it that way initially because of space...I figured most characters would end up with more skills than weapons, so to prevent the skills page from getting too long i wuold move those skills there, and create a separate tab for money/misc equipment, but if it makes more sense i can keep skills on one page and move the equipment to the weapons page Well, it is a skill-based system :) Joking aside, it's unlikely the same character will have ranks in all weapon skills, so just leaving them at 0 is a waste of space. And the fact that you can reorder the skill list lets you put your most-used ones at the top, making them easier to find (and cutting down on the scrolling). Equipment on the Weapons page (assuming it gets renamed to something else) seems logical; having all material possessions on the same page just feels&nbsp; right to me.

Edited 1444122998
Brian said: Josh A. said: Oh wow, that does work. That is an insanely long macro, though. it'd be super crazy to try and implement that on each skill/spell. Maybe i'll do that for the general rolls. Now, the other issue here is that normally these rolls explode on tens, and in some cases will reroll ones once. I know we can use !! for the exploding and ro for the rerollonce, but I'm not sure where to insert those in there (almost at the end? Before you do the last addition?) There's only actually one die in the whole expression, near the beginning: [[{@{pool}, 10}kl1]]d10 Make that d10 "d10!!" or "d10!!ro1" and it should work fine. There is sadly a problem with this (and ro1 in general)&nbsp;: We need to reroll 1, but only if it's the first roll, not a 1 on a exploding roll : Right now, if you roll "d10!!ro1" and you get 10+1 (or 10+10+1...), it will reroll, and that's not what we want. I do not have a easy way to fix that. &nbsp; If someone (Brian ?) can find a dirty way to fix that, it would be great ! Maybe the API could help ? Maybe it's already done but I don't know it ?

Edited 1444345821
Josh A.
Sheet Author
Hmm, that is a good point. Although, I read through the section on exploding dice and on emphasis, and there isn't really anything there that seems to contradict that it should work this way.&nbsp;Exploding dice simply states that it should be rolled again and added, while emphasis says that any 1 is rerolled once. Do you have any errata or anything that states otherwise? It's pretty ambiguous and could easily be interperted either way. Also, it looks like in your example there were 2 11s in the same roll, was that one where you rolled 10+1, and then it rerolled the 1 for another 1?
My pull request was merged today so the sheet should be updated soon - the first update only adds the roll templates to the sheet - it's not yet implemented into any of the sheets rolls, and none of the sheet's fields have been changed as of yet. I'm deciding the best way to go about this without ruining everybody's existing campaigns. To use the roll templates in a macro, the templates name is l5rdefault. fields go in this order: title subtitle flavor prewide key=property (any key will go to the left column and the property will go to the right) wide wide2 wide3 wide4 wide5
Josh A. said: Also, it looks like in your example there were 2 11s in the same roll, was that one where you rolled 10+1, and then it rerolled the 1 for another 1? Nop, that's a coincidence (Should have use another roll as example ^^). I've test it more than once, and the (10+1) is rerolled, not only the 1 (see more&nbsp; here ). I see a difficult way to handle this with the crit system that is already implemented in some other sheets, but I hope that, as a Pro (API ?), you can handle this easier .... Anyway, really great job so far :)
Yeah, I would not like to use the API for this, as only Pro users would be able to utilize it. In all of roll20, I believe only one sheet has API integration (the edge of the empire sheet) and there is a separate one maintained for those who don't have access to that. perhaps we should start a suggestion to get the roll20 dice roller updated with some commands to more easily utilize the AEG R&K system? But I'm not even sure if they'll want to invest in that now that AEG sold L5R off to FFG.
Josh A. said: Yeah, I would not like to use the API for this, as only Pro users would be able to utilize it. In all of roll20, I believe only one sheet has API integration (the edge of the empire sheet) and there is a separate one maintained for those who don't have access to that. perhaps we should start a suggestion to get the roll20 dice roller updated with some commands to more easily utilize the AEG R&K system? But I'm not even sure if they'll want to invest in that now that AEG sold L5R off to FFG. I was just thinking same thing about the future of L5R. Anyway, my question is, what will happen to all the character sheets i've filed untill now when the sheet would be updated? I hope not to loose them. Thanks a lot for all your work.

Edited 1451575815
Kadus
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello, Is there any progress in the character sheet ?&nbsp; I would mastering Legend of Five Rings, but the actual character sheet has a lot of problems, as cited above. I think even to want to use a L5R hack with the FATE Core system.&nbsp;