Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Change who is speaking in macro or remove default and post all commands.

Edited 1440430080
Is there a command or way in a macro to stop the <who is speaking> prompt that accompanies each chat post?  My goal is to control the name used without any need to click on a token per say.  True, that may happen anyway, but, I do not want it as a requirement.  The macro may be on the general macro bar OR on the token macro bar.   If there is not a way to do this, there should be. While we are on the subject, is there a way in a macro to force selection of a user's token or a token with a certain Charcater_name?  That would maybe help some in the above scenario.   If there is not a way to do this, there should be. Lastly, is there a pop-up list of commands and shortcuts and macro short examples within the Roll20 framework itself rather like a help result?  Such a thing would have saved a ton of my questions(not to mention others) here as forum research is not my forte and in case you don't realize this, there is a whole set of creative and open personality types that will never adjust to research as a means of discovery.  Clicking on a readily available list in-flow appeals to that personality type far more than breaking flow and researching.  They discover by relating and by rote effort in flow and your not making the option available will not stop that, it will just continue to cause strife between the two type of personalities.   If there is not a way to do this, there should be.
The text prompt of whom is speaking is locked in.&nbsp; You may be able to bypass that via the API, but this requires Pro subscriptions to access. The HELP WIKI&nbsp; is a largely community-driven resource that describes everything you can do with the Macro system and details the individual commands.&nbsp; There are a number of player examples and ideas listed on how to use them.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dice_Reference</a> If you have any recommendations or Suggestions on how to improve the largely free Roll20 product, the Community welcomes you to submit to the Suggestions Forums.
It is understandable that money might drive some features, but us freebie types can always hope. &nbsp;TY Wikis and forums and stuff are too much work for in flow worker types like me. &nbsp;That personality issues is not going to change. &nbsp;Providing for both core types flow and discreet, will assist the coolness and usability of any application. &nbsp;Denying the truth of the two types is a tendency of ultimately unsuccessful products and services. &nbsp;This is not me being aggressive. &nbsp;Just trying to state a point a view that some developers get (I have 30 years experience myself) and some do not. &nbsp; Suggestions from me due to the above issue of personality OFTEN occur in flow, that is to say, while describing a problem. &nbsp;So, the questions section appropriately BECOMES the suggestion section in many cases. &nbsp;I understand that the onus of transferring or rote copying of my suggestion into that forum may facilitate my suggestion gaining view time. &nbsp;You understand (hopefully) that not addressing problems despite missing that rote action does not benefit anyone. &nbsp; Thanks for your time regardless.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
series0 said: stop the &lt;who is speaking&gt; prompt that accompanies each chat post Block the following site element : app.roll20.net##.by series0 said: shortcuts Keyboard. Advanced. series0 said: macro short examples Post Your Macros Here, pt. 3!
A thousand thank yous Silvyre! &nbsp;
Although I confess I have not yet tried the radical step of disabling site elements implied by Silvyre, I am curious to be sure that the answer to this question, Is there a way in a macro to force selection of a user's token or a token with a certain Charcater_name?&nbsp; ... is, 'No, not unless you are a mentor level api user.'
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
series0 said: Although I confess I have not yet tried the radical step of disabling site elements implied by Silvyre, I am curious to be sure that the answer to this question, Is there a way in a macro to force selection of a user's token or a token with a certain Charcater_name?&nbsp; ... is, 'No, not unless you are a mentor level api user.' Actually, the answer is "no, not even if you are a Pro subscription API user." The API cannot manipulate the UI to do things like select a token for the user. (Granted, the API may be capable of achieving the result you're actually looking for without selecting the token. Depending on what you're trying to do.) series0 said: Is there a command or way in a macro to stop the &lt;who is speaking&gt; prompt that accompanies each chat post? &nbsp;My goal is to control the name used without any need to click on a token per say. &nbsp;True, that may happen anyway, but, I do not want it as a requirement. &nbsp;The macro may be on the general macro bar OR on the token macro bar. &nbsp; If there is not a way to do this, there should be. I believe (but I am not certain) that the "who is speaking" popup only shows if you're typing regular text in the chat box, not if you're using a /command, !api command, or typing in a ?{Query prompt}. For example if you had a macro which was just a query prompting for text, the system wouldn't notify the other players as you type. series0 said: Lastly, is there a pop-up list of commands and shortcuts and macro short examples within the Roll20 framework itself rather like a help result? &nbsp;Such a thing would have saved a ton of my questions(not to mention others) here as forum research is not my forte and in case you don't realize this, there is a whole set of creative and open personality types that will never adjust to research as a means of discovery. &nbsp;Clicking on a readily available list in-flow appeals to that personality type far more than breaking flow and researching. &nbsp;They discover by relating and by rote effort in flow and your not making the option available will not stop that, it will just continue to cause strife between the two type of personalities. &nbsp; If there is not a way to do this, there should be. There's no pop-up list of commands. These are the commands I recall from memory: /w name message : Whisper "message" to the player or character named "name". If "name" is "gm", the message is sent to everyone with GM privileges, and if "name" matches a character, it is sent to all players with control of that character. (It won't go to the GM unless the GM explicitly has control over the character.) You will always see the content of whispers you send. /em message &nbsp;and /me message : Emote "message". The emote will be orange and the message will be preceded with your name or the name of the character you've selected in the "speaking as" dropdown as though it was the start of the sentence. /r dice-expression &nbsp;and /roll dice-expression : Rolls "dice-expression", showing all dice results in large font. For supported dice sizes (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20) the dice results will have the appropriate dice image, which can be dragged from the chat window to the tabletop. /fx effect-name : Produce "effect-name" centered on your selected token. Effect names are "burn", "explode" "dragonsbreath", and "fireball" (invalid names are treated as "burn"). The effects are normally only available to Plus subscription GMs from the left sidebar menu (with which the effect is centered on the mouse click rather than the selected token), but I believe &nbsp;the /fx command is usable at any subscription level and I know that it is usable by non-GMs. I don't know whether that's a bug or not. /as name message : Post a normal chat message as the character named "name". Usable by GM only. This message will not include a character avatar, even if the name is identical to a character in the journal (this command is intended for GMs speaking as minor non-recurring characters with no journal entry). /emas name message : Post an emote chat message (as with /me or /em) as the character named "name". Usable by GM only. This message will not include a character avatar, even if the name is identical to a character in the journal (this command is intended for GMs emoting as minor non-recurring characters with no journal entry). /desc message : Post a description message, which is centered, bold, and uses no character avatar nor is it labeled as coming from any character. Usable by GM only. There is &nbsp;however, a popup of keyboard shortcuts. If you hover over the question mark at the bottom of the left sidebar, one of the subitem menu choices is "Shortcuts Reference" which will list the shortcuts available to you. This only shows the normal shortcuts, not the ones enabled with the "Use advanced keyboard shortcuts" option from the settings tab, but that checkbox has a link to the advanced shortcuts that it enables. On top of all of that, the development server is currently testing some kind of tutorial system. I haven't looked at it so I can't say for certain what it entails, but it may contain some of what you're looking for.
Very interesting stuff Brian. &nbsp;Thanks for your extensive answer. &nbsp;Some of it I am not using!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Brian said: There's no pop-up list of commands. These are the commands I recall from memory: /w name message : Whisper "message" to the player or character named "name". If "name" is "gm", the message is sent to everyone with GM privileges, and if "name" matches a character, it is sent to all players with control of that character. (It won't go to the GM unless the GM explicitly has control over the character.) You will always see the content of whispers you send. /em message &nbsp;and /me message : Emote "message". The emote will be orange and the message will be preceded with your name or the name of the character you've selected in the "speaking as" dropdown as though it was the start of the sentence. /r dice-expression &nbsp;and /roll dice-expression : Rolls "dice-expression", showing all dice results in large font. For supported dice sizes (d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, and d20) the dice results will have the appropriate dice image, which can be dragged from the chat window to the tabletop. /fx effect-name : Produce "effect-name" centered on your selected token. Effect names are "burn", "explode" "dragonsbreath", and "fireball" (invalid names are treated as "burn"). The effects are normally only available to Plus subscription GMs from the left sidebar menu (with which the effect is centered on the mouse click rather than the selected token), but I believe &nbsp;the /fx command is usable at any subscription level and I know that it is usable by non-GMs. I don't know whether that's a bug or not. /as name message : Post a normal chat message as the character named "name". Usable by GM only. This message will not include a character avatar, even if the name is identical to a character in the journal (this command is intended for GMs speaking as minor non-recurring characters with no journal entry). /emas name message : Post an emote chat message (as with /me or /em) as the character named "name". Usable by GM only. This message will not include a character avatar, even if the name is identical to a character in the journal (this command is intended for GMs emoting as minor non-recurring characters with no journal entry). /desc message : Post a description message, which is centered, bold, and uses no character avatar nor is it labeled as coming from any character. Usable by GM only. Another post reminded me of one more: /o message &nbsp;and /ooc message : Speak as yourself, no matter what character you have selected in the "speaking as" dropdown.