Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

My Roll20 Questions

Edited 1440496759
Brilliant piece of software If the mods feel this thread isn't allowed (because specific questions in a separate thread's title bar make it easier for others to navigate), feel free to do as you wish with this post.  Sound Do I upload sound via the SoundCloud website?  Can I use Youtube for playing sounds and background music? Playing Cards I'm using playing cards with Savage Worlds but even though I checked the 'Discard' option, I see no discard pile.  Also, when I recall all, not all the cards are recalled.  3D Dice This is a great option and seems to simulate perfectly the face to face dice rolling. That said, is there any reason I'd not want to use this feature? 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Mark J. said: Sound Do I upload sound via the SoundCloud website? Yes. Mark J. said: Can I use Youtube for playing sounds and background music? Not directly through the app at this time, but you could pursue third-party options in the interim. Mark J. said: 3D Dice This is a great option and seems to simulate perfectly the face to face dice rolling. That said, is there any reason I'd not want to use this feature?  Older computers may have difficulty with 3D dice, especially in games with dice pools. Some users may feel that 3D dice slow their game down, and are content to rely on rolls or inline rolls within the text chat. Other users may be discontent with some limitations on 3D dice (e.g. incomplete support for d% rolls).
Thanks for that
Mark J. said: Brilliant piece of software If the mods feel this thread isn't allowed (because specific questions in a separate thread's title bar make it easier for others to navigate), feel free to do as you wish with this post.  Sound Do I upload sound via the SoundCloud website?  Can I use Youtube for playing sounds and background music? Playing Cards I'm using playing cards with Savage Worlds but even though I checked the 'Discard' option, I see no discard pile.  Also, when I recall all, not all the cards are recalled.  3D Dice This is a great option and seems to simulate perfectly the face to face dice rolling. That said, is there any reason I'd not want to use this feature?  Regarding the dice, there are some games and users that play through text rather than video and/or voice.  I know, I prefer playing that way myself.  The 3D dice and graphical dice in general often interferes with the flow of text in the chat window, so we prefer not to use them.  Not everyone is looking for a face-to-face simulation experience.
As far as sound is concerned the only way I'm aware of to add new sound files to your game is by creating a Soundcloud account and uploading them there first before copying the link into your Roll20 library.  Therefore, the only technical issue is how to get the sound file into SoundCloud. It's also worth noting that once you have a SoundCloud account searches of the files already uploaded by other members often reveals a file that satisfies your needs without having to upload something new.  For example: I wanted a background ambient sound effect for a rennaisance market and discovered three within minutes, not only that but by noting the names of the collections these came from and following them I discovered a number of other sound files in their collections that were useful.
I invited a friend into a Roll20 session I'd set up just to try it out and it worked great. A few slight issues arose though.  1. He had to re-size the map I displayed so it was neat and tidy. Is this how it is done? It's not a problem, I just want to know if there was a way players could  log into a game and just have the map there, all re-sized and good to go.  2. Macros was a bit more of an issue - but not much. I had to click on each individual macro and choose 'View to Players' and they had to click 'Accept' in order to see the macro bar on their screen. Is there a way for players to log into the game and have the macros there ready for them to use? Again, not much of an issue, and just wondering if this is how it's done.  3. Savage World bennies. I dealt out 3 each and they have a neat little token displaying the number '3' on them. When players spend a benny, they click on that token, a box opens up, and they slide a token from the box onto the map area and right click to delete that token once used. This seems a little convoluted but again, not a major issue. Is this how it's done? 4. Savage Worlds bennies. When I click 'Recall All' to gather up used bennies,  the bennies are not cleared all together. I have to click 'Recall All' for each benny to be discarded. Is this right? It doesn't sound so.  5. Using the deck of cards for Initiative (Savage Worlds). I can either type into the dialogue box and deal the cards out that way, or I can manually click on the deck and slide a card near a player's view cam to designate it as their card. Either way seems ok, but my question is, when I then recall the cards, the discard pile is still full of cards used.  Also, if I keep dealing each round, when I look at the recall facility, it tells me there's still 54 cards left in the deck. So I'm not sure if the entire distribution of cards is correct here.  Finally, sometimes when dealing cards to players I get an 'NC' in the turn box. Any advice would be appreciated. 
1.  I'm afraid not 2. You can bypass this SOMEwhat, by creating a "Template"  Character journal and setting everything up as Token Abilities instead of macros.  You can then "Duplicate" the character journal for new players. 3. There's a lot of different ways to implement some kind of token, but that's the most graphically solid method, really.  Some folks will just use one of the token bars if it;s always changing, or just record it on their journal's Bio page. Unfortunately, I can't speak towards token/card/desk issues.
No problem Mark, because as I said, it's no big deal Thank you for the advice as well

Edited 1441119054
Mark J. said: 3. Savage World bennies. I dealt out 3 each and they have a neat little token displaying the number '3' on them. When players spend a benny, they click on that token, a box opens up, and they slide a token from the box onto the map area and right click to delete that token once used. This seems a little convoluted but again, not a major issue. Is this how it's done? Pretty much. Yes, very convoluted. No, I haven't figured out a way to do this easier. What's more annoying is that as the GM I can't do it for them if a player forgets to actually change the token, because I can't just steal cards without them accepting it first.  You could use the token bar to tally the # of bennies left instead, but it's not as nice-looking as images of the benny being played on the virtual tabletop.  Mark J. said: 4. Savage Worlds bennies. When I click 'Recall All' to gather up used bennies, the bennies are not cleared all together. I have to click 'Recall All' for each benny to be discarded. Is this right? It doesn't sound so.  Yep, the "doesn't actually recall" issue is  a known bug that has yet to be fixed. You can make a post in the thread to remind the devs that it's still broken.  Mark J. said: 5. Using the deck of cards for Initiative (Savage Worlds). I can either type into the dialogue box and deal the cards out that way, or I can manually click on the deck and slide a card near a player's view cam to designate it as their card. Either way seems ok, but my question is, when I then recall the cards, the discard pile is still full of cards used. Also, if I keep dealing each round, when I look at the recall facility, it tells me there's still 54 cards left in the deck. So I'm not sure if the entire distribution of cards is correct here. You'll need to recall the cards and shuffle them. For bizarre reasons, Roll20 considers the Discard pile to still be played cards, so you will never be able to tell how many cards are still in the unplayed deck and how many are in the Discard pile.  Mark J. said: Finally, sometimes when dealing cards to players I get an 'NC' in the turn box. The ensured way to get cards to players (although not as fun as drawing the cards one by one) is to use the  deal cards to Turn Items method. 
Pretty much what I thought Thanks Toboe!

Edited 1441270195
When I use the RoF macros: RoF2 = /r 1d?{Trait Die|6}! First Shot /r 1d?{Trait Die|6}! Second Shot /r 1d6! Wild Die RoF3 = /r 1d?{Trait Die|6}! First Shot /r 1d?{Trait Die|6}! Second Shot /r 1d?{Trait Die|6}! Third Shot /r 1d6! Wild Die From this Roll20 page:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/287162/roll20-an" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/287162/roll20-an</a>... All that happens, is the Input Value box pops up asking for the trait dice type, I click submit, and it rolls just one d6. RoF3 does the same. I've checked my settings and it's all copy/pasted as it is laid out on that page and as depicted above (but I omit the RoF2 and RoF3 from the 'Actions one command per line' box). Anyone know what's wrong?

Edited 1441271576
Not sure why those macros are not working for you they seem to work fine for me. &nbsp;I do have them as two separate macros, one for ROF2 and one for ROF3. When I posted those macros 2 years ago inline rolls were not a thing yet, here is what I use now.&nbsp; ROF2 /em fires two shots [[1d?{Trait Die|6}!]] | 1st Shot [[1d?{Trait Die|6}!]] | 2nd Shot [[1d6!]] | Wild Die ROF3 /em fires three shots [[1d?{Trait Die|6}!]] | 1st Shot [[1d?{Trait Die|6}!]] | 2nd Shot [[1d?{Trait Die|6}!]] | 3rd Shot [[1d6!]] | Wild Die This keeps the output small and organized.&nbsp;
I have mine as separate macros too.&nbsp; I'm going to log out and back in again and try it then... Still didn't work. I'll try your macros... Still only rolling just the single d6
When you are saying "rolling just a single d6" are you not getting different results on each line? The macro is set up to roll a single trait die per line, and separates out the wild die so that can be used to replace any one of the above rolls.&nbsp;
John R. said: When you are saying "rolling just a single d6" are you not getting different results on each line? The macro is set up to roll a single trait die per line, and separates out the wild die so that can be used to replace any one of the above rolls.&nbsp; Doh! I have 3D dice turned on and because I was only seeing a single '3D' die being thrown on the screen, I thought things were not working. But as you say, when I then checked in the chat window, all results were there.&nbsp; Sorry and thanks for the help!
Just to jump in here about SW macros, is there a way to write a macro to "roll a bunch of Trait die for Extras, which will all individually explode, and report each result separately?" As it stands now, if I have 10 Extras that are all going to use Fighting, I have to click a button ten times. It would be nice if I could use prompt queries to "how many dice?" &gt; Roll them &gt; report all the results individually.&nbsp; If I try&nbsp; [[?{Number of Dice|1}d4!]] It will allow me to roll any number of exploding d4s...and add them all together, instead of reporting the individual results, like: 3 2 1 4+2=6 2 3 4+1=5, etc.&nbsp;
Welcome to the community&nbsp; Mark J. ! Since your original questions have been answered, I am going to close this thread. If you have another question Roll20 specific question please feel free to start a new post.