Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Shadow of the Demon Lord and Roll20

DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
The new RPG by Robert J. Schwalb (yes, that guy) "Shadow of the Demon Lord" has its PDF version in the hands of the public as of yesterday. This game system is what I have been working on making easily playable in the Roll20 platform. I have been very involved with the creation of the game since before it was even considered in alpha... so if anyone is playing and needs a hand with rules or theory or whatever, please ask. If you want example macros for system specific tech or a list of what API scripts I have found most useful for the system so far, please ask.  I have a character sheet being designed already and once that is ready I will do what has to be done to make it and the macro and such all work smoothly... followed up by a wiki page when the demand for info reaches that level. I hope you all will check out the game system and give it a whirl.
You know your VTT of choice has hit critical mass when folks start designing RPGs specifically for it :) good show
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
well the system was designed for table top play - but I want it to work as smoothly as possible inside this VTT as well. :)
Looking forward of GMing this.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I just got the official map for one of the as of yet unreleased adventures. I am hoping to get it set up tomorrow and POSSIBLY advertise a learn to play session for Sunday afternoon... nothing locked in yet but its possible.
Hi. Just bought a PDF and love this game. So I'm signing under "please make character sheet  for roll20" petition. Secon, are you planning to stream this game? I would love to watch it.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
We have a sheet under construction- not sure I will stream but we may - have to work out some kinks. Glad you love the game!

Edited 1442461271
I look forward to DMing this game. The Sooner a character sheet is made for it the better :D

Edited 1443793158
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Until the sheet is done I am doing this - using the attributes in various macros (i use the API for mine, !powercards for format and  5 or 6 others that are just to good to not use). I use Damage in Bar3 and Insanity in Bar1 (leaving Bar2 blank for now).  EDIT: Moved Boon/Bane info to its own entry for more details. See below.
Very excited to see that there is a character sheet in the works for this. We just started our campaign last night. It was a bit rough going from really nice GURPS sheets to just plugging attributes in my half hearted sheet  attempt.  

Edited 1443793101
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Boons/Banes: ?{Roll Modifier|None, 0|Boon, {?{Number of Boons|1}d6}kh1 |Bane, {?{Number of Banes|1}t[BaneDice]}kl1 } This is the Boon/Bane macro that i am using (well mine is modified for use with !powercards).  most basic version of macro using the above for Shadow of the Demon Lord. /roll 1d20 + ?{Roll Modifier} + @{selected|ATTRIBUTE} It uses a rollable table for the Banes instead of subtracting the d6, this allows you add a 'negative' d6, and adding all options is easier on the macro than adding some and subtracting others.  To set up your rollable table, just open a new one and copy this... When your macro is done, clicking will get this - letting you pick from 'none', 'boon', or 'bane' When you select boon or bane you get this option Because of how the defaults are set up this is normally just a smash of the enter button to use 'none', or a down arrow, enter, enter to have 1 boon/bane - if you have more than 1 you will need to actually use the number keys (only time that it is 'slower' than some other options I have tried). It will roll the amount of dice added and add the highest (boon), or lowest (bane) to your d20, this is bar far the least complicated and easiest for players to use that I have found (with help of other macro-wizards). And it is what I will be using in my Learn To Play SotDL game once I get it up and going. ** you will need to follow the normal rules for html entries when using a query inside another query (see wiki). 
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Learn To Play game is now scheduled - see  here - or search in the looking for games thing - SotDL 
Ok, where is my error?
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
need to kill the description (Boons/Banes) and add the d20 roll. Below is a very basic version, this does not take into account player attribute modifier and does not use inline rolls, just a straight roll with boons or banes menus. Also you must have the rollable table designed as I set up above.  Once you copy this in as a personal macro you cannot edit it, or it will lose the HTML replacements. If you use it on a token you can edit it all you want (this is what I do).  If you decide to jump to Pro so you can use API I can honestly give you more help as I have done all my work with scripts in mind, as opposed to standard marcos (with or without the default roll templates). I follow the threads on them here in the forums but try to keep my learning and creation based with API scripts. 
LOL. My bad. I did not get that you needed to put in" roll/ 1d20 +" from your post above. You don't know how many times I typed that macro in!  Works perfectly now, thanks!
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
no worries! and ask if anything else in the game needs work :)
How did you make the challenge roll macro in your playtest. I want one macro that 1) rolls 1d20 2) asks what attribute modifier, 3) adds the attribute modifier, 4) asks the banes/boons, 5) rolls the banes/boons, 6) adds banes/boons 7) outputs total.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
!power {{ --charid|@{selected|character_id} --emote|//@{selected|token_name} is attempting a challenge roll...// --orowbg|#F5DEB3 --erowbg|#FFFFF0 --name|Challenge Roll  --leftsub|Attribute vs. 10  --hroll| Attribute [[ [$ATType] ?{Attribute:|Strength, 0|Agility, 1|Intellect, 2|Will, 3|Perception, 4} +0d0 ]] ^^ Boons/Banes: [[ [nh|$BB] ?{Roll Modifier|None, 0|Boon, {?{Number of Boons&_#124;1&_#125;d6&_#125;kh1 |Bane, {?{Number of Banes&_#124;1&_#125;t[BaneDice]&_#125;kl1 }  + 0d0]] --?? $ATType == 0 AND @{selected|STR} == 100 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $ATType == 0 AND @{selected|STR} == 100 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C --?? $ATType == 0 AND @{selected|STR} == 100 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $ATType == 0 AND @{selected|STR} == 100 ?? !Error|~CYou do not have a //Strength// attribute, you ignore all effects of the challenge roll~C --?? $ATType == 0 AND @{selected|STR} <> 100 ?? !Roll0|**Strength** [[ [nh|$ATSTR] 1d20 + @{selected|STR} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ [nh] 10d1 ]] --?? $ATType == 0 AND $ATSTR < 10 AND @{selected|STR} <> 100 ?? ^1Failure| --?? $ATType == 0 AND $ATSTR >= 10 AND @{selected|STR} <> 100 ?? ^1Success | --?? $ATType == 1 AND @{selected|AGI} == 100 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $ATType == 1 AND @{selected|AGI} == 100 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C --?? $ATType == 1 AND @{selected|AGI} == 100 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $ATType == 1 AND @{selected|AGI} == 100 ?? !Error|~CYou do not have an //Agility// attribute, you ignore all effects of the challenge roll~C --?? $ATType == 1 AND @{selected|AGI} <> 100 ?? !Roll1|**Agility** [[ [nh|$ATAGI] 1d20 + @{selected|AGI} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ [nh] 10d1 ]] --?? $ATType == 1 AND $ATAGI < 10 AND @{selected|AGI} <> 100 ?? ^1Failure| --?? $ATType == 1 AND $ATAGI >= 10 AND @{selected|AGI} <> 100 ?? ^1Success| --?? $ATType == 2 AND @{selected|INT} == 100 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $ATType == 2 AND @{selected|INT} == 100 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C --?? $ATType == 2 AND @{selected|INT} == 100 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $ATType == 2 AND @{selected|INT} == 100 ?? !Error|~CYou do not have an //Intellect// attribute, you ignore all effects of the challenge roll~C --?? $ATType == 2 AND @{selected|INT} <> 100 ?? !Roll2|**Intellect** [[ [nh|$ATINT] 1d20 + @{selected|INT} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ [nh] 10d1 ]] --?? $ATType == 2 AND $ATINT < 10 AND @{selected|INT} <> 100 ?? ^1Failure| --?? $ATType == 2 AND $ATINT >= 10 AND @{selected|INT} <> 100 ?? ^1Success| --?? $ATType == 3 AND @{selected|WILL} == 100 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $ATType == 3 AND @{selected|WILL} == 100 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C --?? $ATType == 3 AND @{selected|WILL} == 100 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $ATType == 3 AND @{selected|WILL} == 100 ?? !Error|~CYou do not have a //Will// attribute, you ignore all effects of the challenge roll~C --?? $ATType == 3 AND @{selected|WILL} <> 100 ?? !Roll3|**Will** [[ [nh|$ATWILL] 1d20 + @{selected|WILL} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ [nh] 10d1 ]] --?? $ATType == 3 AND $ATWILL < 10 AND @{selected|WILL} <> 100 ?? ^1Failure| --?? $ATType == 3 AND $ATWILL >= 10 AND @{selected|WILL} <> 100 ?? ^1Success| --?? $ATType == 4 AND @{selected|PER} == 100 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $ATType == 4 AND @{selected|PER} == 100 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C --?? $ATType == 4 AND @{selected|PER} == 100 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $ATType == 4 AND @{selected|PER} == 100 ?? !Error|~CYou do not have a //Perception// attribute, you ignore all effects of the challenge roll~C --?? $ATType == 4 AND @{selected|PER} <> 100 ?? !Roll4|**Perception** [[ [nh|$ATPER] 1d20 + @{selected|PER} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ [nh] 10d1 ]] --?? $ATType == 4 AND $ATPER < 10 AND @{selected|PER} <> 100 ?? ^1Failure| --?? $ATType == 4 AND $ATPER >= 10 AND @{selected|PER} <> 100 ?? ^1Success| }} This is my !powercard marco. I have not tried to do it for non-powercard users yet but maybe it will give you somewhere to start.  1st off you have to remove the _ between all the &_# in the bane/boon section (it is there just to keep the html from parsing in the message). 2nd when a creature does not have an attribute (say they have '-' STR score) I enter it as 100. Nothing will ever have a 100 and its a good round number to remember. That is why all the reference back to 100 are in the code. This is because if you target a creature without an attribute the attack automatically fails. Beyond that it is just a series of queries to ask the questions, and a ton of conditionals (powercard version of If/Than) so that it will only print out the correct info.   Thinking about it it terms of a normal marco. /roll 1d20 + query|modifier + query|boon/bane (and then compare to 10) you have the boon/bane query already, and the one for the modifier should be the same as in this code, except trade out the numbers (ie. Strength, 0... change the 0) for an attribute call to the character sheet (ie. @{character|STR} ... and add in all the correct html calls as needed for the | and the }).  might take a few tries, but that should do it. 
Hi. I've just started reading the PDF of the game and am enjoying it so far very much. I am interested to know ther than Power Cards which other API Scripts have you been using in your games. Many Thanks

Edited 1445281357
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Thanks to Honey Badger, The Aaron, DXWarlock, Kryx, and Stephen S who all designed one or more of the following scripts. I use the following (what I use them for):   powercards (all chat output and dice rolling) ammo (customized by Grey) (tracking spells cast, and actual ammo used) isGM (needed for customized ammo) pic  (to drop a jpg of the turn token (fast/slow/end) in chat to break it up) (it was acting up last session so need to confirm its still doing what I want it to do) bump (to hide monsters before they are seen, and for demons that all get to turn invisible and teleport) bloodSpatterandConditions (the blood is for fun, but the injured and disabled condition markers is great) (uses a custom feature to add damage instead of subtracting HP) tokenMod  (adding and removing afflictions) centerSMALL (centers smaller than 70x70 tokens (ie. goblins, dwarves, and so on) AOEdrawer (for aoe spells) You dont need any of the initiative ones, as we don't have initiative. I have played around with others but they did not fit what I was trying to do. Glad you are enjoying the game, and if I can get my schedule set up you should jump into a learn to play game! 
Thanks for the info. I would love to be involved in a learn to play game. I'm based in Europe and the time zone can be tricky. I will keep an eye out for your schedule. Thanks
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
I edited the list with links to make it easier! We had Poland and Brazil both represented in the last game, but I will say that our man in Poland was playing at 3:30 am lol :)
DK Heinrich said: I edited the list with links to make it easier! We had Poland and Brazil both represented in the last game, but I will say that our man in Poland was playing at 3:30 am lol :) Well past my bedtime, lol. Players from Poland and Brazil in the same game, the reason i'm a big fan of Roll20! Thanks for the links. I have used the odd script in my games but judging from your list I certainly haven't explored them to full potential.
I'm really keen to run this system on Roll 20. I've been involved with the Kickstarter, but can't get a local game running due to lack of players. So glad you are working on it. 
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
@Barry - Check on the LTP session (once I schedule the next one) - always looking for players for it!
Hi DK Heinrich. Do you use the Challenge Roll power card macro detailed above for attack rolls as well or do you have something else set up? What other macro's do you use? Many Thanks
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
so far I have set up individual marcos for each action a character can take (that requires a die roll or has an effect). Most of them are the very similar to each other with just terms of the attack being different (weapon name, damage dice, options based on paths). You can skip all the stuff revolving around 100 for almost all of them, except for the spells that attack non defense attributes. But honestly there are so few monsters that it effects I dont use it the 100 thing much. It was more of a test for the challenge rolls. If a campaign used lots of undead or slimes or things like that I would suggest adding that back in. If you poke around the powercards thread you will see multiple examples of marcos I am using, and if there is anything specific you are looking for I will be happy to share.  Long term goal (once our character sheet it done, and macros are adjusted for it) is to set up a wiki here with example macros, suggested API scripts, and much more!  Example: Here is one for a Rogue using a Bow. It takes into account how many arrows he has, adjusts that number after he shoots, asks about boons, banes, and if the boon is from his Trickery Talent, and then calculates the damage based on those answer and the roll, and it will give you an error if you are out of arrows.  Nothing crazy complex - but it looks great and the info is solid - and that is what matters. (remove the space between & # to make it work, that is done for posting to forum). !ammo @{selected|token_id} Arrows -1 !power {{ --charid|@{character_id} --emote|//@{selected|token_name} shoots his bow…// --orowbg|#F5DEB3 --erowbg|#FFFFF0 --name|Bow --leftsub|Long Range ♦ 1 Creature ♦ Ranged --hroll|[[ [$Arrows] @{selected|Arrows} + 0d0 ]] ^^ Target Defense: [[ [$DEF] [[@{target|T1|DEF}]] + 0d0 ]] ^^ Target Critical: [[ [$Crit] [[@{target|T1|DEF}]] + 5d1 ]] ^^ Boons/Banes: [[ [nh|$BB] ?{Roll Modifier|None, 0|Boon, {?{Number of Boons& #124;1& #125;d6& #125;kh1 |Bane, {?{Number of Banes& #124;1& #125;t[BaneDice]& #125;kl1 }  + 0d0]] ^^ Trickery: [[ [nh|$TRICK] ?{Using a Trickery Boon|Yes,1|No,0} + 0d0]] --?? $Arrows.total > 0 ?? !Blank1|~~~ --?? $Arrows.total > 0 ?? !vs.| ~C vs **@{target|T1|token_name}** ~C --?? $Arrows.total > 0 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $Arrows.total == 0 ?? !Blank3|~~~ --?? $Arrows.total == 0 ?? !Error1|~C**Error**~C  --?? $Arrows.total == 0 ?? !Blank2|~~~ --?? $Arrows.total == 0 ?? !Error2|~CYou have already fired all your arrows~C --?? $Arrows.total > 0 ?? Agility| [[ [nh|$RollRes] 1d20 + @{selected|AGI} + ?{Roll Modifier} ]] vs [[ @{target|T1|DEF}]] **Defense** --?? $Arrows.total > 0 AND $RollRes < $DEF ?? ^1 Failure|[[ [txt] 1t[Failure] ]] --?? $Arrows.total > 0 AND $RollRes >= $DEF ?? ^1 Success|Deal [[ [nh] 1d6]] damage --?? $Arrows.total > 0 AND $RollRes >= $DEF AND $TRICK == 1 AND $BB >= 1 ?? ^1Trickery| Deal [[ [nh] 1d6]] additional damage --?? $Arrows.total > 0 ?? Arrows Remaining| [[ @{selected|Arrows} - 1 ]]  }}
Thank You. I've been playing around today getting the scripts set up and running. I haven't used power cards for some time and the functionality seems to be significantly more advanced than the last time I used it. Thanks for the example I will continue to experiment.

Edited 1445533218
Mister Sinister
Sheet Author
Bit of a side note. I've been working on a map for A Year Without Rain. Thought I'd share early progress: A Year Without Rain Removed the Picture and added a link. Realised that potential players of this scenario might not want to look at the map. Thanks
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
looks great! I actually did the black and white 'old school' map that is in the published adventure so I cheated and just used my .png of it and dropped it into my game on roll20  lol
DK Heinrich said: looks great! I actually did the black and white 'old school' map that is in the published adventure so I cheated and just used my .png of it and dropped it into my game on roll20  lol Thanks. I'm very new to mapping, and am currently trying to teach myself to properly use Campaign Cartographer.
Thanks DK!  I'll sort it out. I'm trying to get as much functionality out of the base R20 that I can so I can share with others who can't go the full Pro route. I'll probably upgrade myself once I run a few sessions and see how the experience of GMing on R20 goes. Thanks again for all the help!
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
understood 100% - It will be good to have both standard macros and ones that rely on the API so that anyone can run a game and find references to make it easier. 

Edited 1446039849
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
New macro for the 'Fate Roll' you make while you are disabled or dying (tells you if you get better, stay the same, or get worse). I have it set as a token action from my main macro list. Uses powercards (as you should expect by now). Click on your token Click 'Fate Roll' button Answer the drop down (disabled or dying) Your fate is rolled and output to chat !power {{ --charid|@{selected|character_id} --emote|//@{selected|token_name} is attempting a fate roll...// --orowbg|#F5DEB3 --erowbg|#FFFFF0 --name|Fate Roll --leftsub|1 is bad ♦ 6 is good  --hroll| Fate [[ [$COND] ?{Condition:|Disabled, 0|Dying, 1} +0d0 ]] ^^ Result [[ [nh|$RollRes] 1d6 + 0d0 ]] --!Blank1|~~~ --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 1 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 1d1 ]] You start //dying//  --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 2 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 2d1 ]] You are still //disabled// --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 3 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 3d1 ]] You are still //disabled// --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 4 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 4d1 ]] You are still //disabled// --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 5 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 5d1 ]] You are still //disabled// --?? $COND == 0 AND $RollRes == 6 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 6d1 ]] You heal [[ [nh] 1d1 ]] damage --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 1 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 1d1 ]] You die, refer to **Chapter 1: //Character Creation//**  --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 2 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 2d1 ]] You are still //dying// --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 3 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 3d1 ]] You are still //dying// --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 4 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 4d1 ]] You are still //dying// --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 5 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 5d1 ]] You are still //dying// --?? $COND == 1 AND $RollRes == 6 ?? ^1 Result| [[ [nh] 6d1 ]] You become //disabled// --!Blank2|~~~ }}
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Official Sheet is up! Please use and abuse it, then comment and request in the  CHARACTER SHEET thread so it can be updated to fit the community.
Was just looking for any update on this system after a couple of weeks for roll 20 and glad I did. Thank you for your great work.
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
[[ 1d20 + ?{Attribute:|Strength, @{selected|STR}|Agility, @{selected|AGI}|Intellect, @{selected|INT}|Will, @{selected|WILL}|Perception, @{selected|PER}} + ?{Roll Modifier|None, 0|Boon, {?{Number of Boons|1}d6}kh1 |Bane, {?{Number of Banes|1}t[BaneDice]}kl1 } ]] Quick and dirty Roll that lets you pick attribute and add bane/boon to it as needed. Requires the BoonDice table discussed above and does not use the character sheet (as its still being tweaked), but instead uses the above calls a attributes on your character with the modifier in the 'current' column.