Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Save tokens to journal chars

In my campaign i've created many npc chars in the journal and my players have their own too. I'm using round tokens for the npc and player pics. Simply put its really annoying to have to go to the art library and find each player and npc token every time I create a new map. Would it be possible to save each player and NPC token to the journal chars themselves (including all setting like control permission and viewable/editable bars and auras) strait to the journal? that way when I make a new map I can just drag and drop NPC and player tokens strait from the journal without having to dig through the art library and individually adjust each tokens setting every time?
This is a great idea, that I think has been requested before.
Bump. Definitely a feature our group would like.
I've just been keeping a page I call 'Monster Vault' where I keep all of the npc, player, and monster tokens all done up with their stats and bars. From there, I just copy them to the page that I need them on. Saving that to the journal might be a little neater and more convenient though.
Nice work on a tempery way to do it.
I've just been keeping a page I call 'Monster Vault' where I keep all of the npc, player, and monster tokens all done up with their stats and bars. From there, I just copy them to the page that I need them on. Saving that to the journal might be a little neater and more convenient though. how do you do this?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Wardonis, go to the Page menu at the top of the Tabletop and click on New Page. You can rename the new Page by clicking on the title underneath the Page's icon, entering a new title name, and then hitting enter to accept the change. Start dragging art assets onto the Token Layer and modify their settings to match your monster/NPC stats. Keep doing this until you've got yourself a bestiary for your campaign. While you're playing your game and need a certain monster, jump to this bestiary Page, copy the token(s) you need, jump back to the Page that your players are currently playing on and paste the Tokens onto the Tabletop. Token names, settings, and stats should all carry over. If you need specifics on Token features check here in our help documents .
I've been doing something similar, I've just been using 1 page for combat and I just rework it each session.
There is the work around with a monster vault, but I'd much rather tokens and characters be linked like Wardonis suggested.
I gave all my player characters the tag PC, so when I need to add them to a new map, I just type in PC in the Token search, and they all come up to the top of the list, already "starred". You could do the same for NPCs or Monsters with a shorter name like Enemy. However I sometimes have problems with the copy and paste feature, so I just redo the controlled by permissions on every new map. It's time consuming, but I prepare my maps way in advance to game night. Good luck though.
It would be nice to have a purpose built holding box with NPC/PC tokens already configured to drag and drop without needing to copy/paste between maps. If anything, just for the ability to search!
I had a similar suggestion to keep the hit points the same during game play when switching maps. But I hadn't thought about attaching them to the character page. That's a nice addition.